Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What if your boyfriend asks you to help his sister (12 years younger) on schoolwork? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utd88)
    what a dilemma you're in ..you were clearly born with a talent for decision making! (i was born with a talent for sarcasm, maybe you noticed)

but anyway you woulnt be much use to her. Reading your 1st post you strike me as not being fluent in english? or maybe its just typos
    Oh You get sharp eyes. You are right I am not fluent in english. English is my foreign language though I learn it from a young age. I am asked to teach his sister with our country language actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by utd88)
    what a dilemma you're in ..you were clearly born with a talent for decision making! (i was born with a talent for sarcasm, maybe you noticed)

but anyway you woulnt be much use to her. Reading your 1st post you strike me as not being fluent in english? or maybe its just typos
    Bugger. You beat me to it utd88 - my sentiments exactly. +ve rep for you!! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xug)
    Oh You get sharp eyes. You are right I am not fluent in english. English is my foreign language though I learn it from a young age. I am asked to teach his sister with our country language actually.
    yea in my tribe i am called TheEagle.

if its your "country language" (china?) )you may be a lot off help then, the sister is unfortunate to be born dumb, give her a little assistance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xug)
    Dear all,

I can't help feeling a bit unhappy / upset when I talk with my boyfriend. He wants me to go to his home to tutor his sister's writing. He hopes me to help her appreciate reading by introducing some good stories to her and check her comprehension. He expects me to go to his home once time a week in August (totally four times) to go to his home. It takes 40 minutes for going his home. Of course, I won't get money by doing that. (How can you request money...)

I have resigned my education job and I am going to study a degree so I have the time now. However, I don't want to do it and I rejected my boyfriend. I have ever met his sister. His sister is 12 years younger than me, with moderate IQ (heartbreaking to say). In a word, his sister has a large generation gap and not interesting to me at all.

I feel I am selfish and guilty for not making time to help his sister. Will you take this responsibility if you are asked to do so?

I like my boyfriend because he is smart and caring but in a sharp contrast his sister is not smart at all and a lifelong burden...

Forgive me to be this honest...
    I would like your comments but please say kindly to a person who is in pain now...
    (Original post by supergirl182)
    Hm I see where you are coming from, (btw the OP is reading this too, don't refer to her as 'this woman') but he did sound slightly presumptuous. And besides its 100% her prerogative. She has the full time job of studying and 40 minutes i think might be the journey to the house (so all in all it would take 2x 40 minutes + the actual tutoring session and thus a sizable part of her day).

This might not, perhaps, be comprehensible to you, Jeester, but remember in the 'Life Advice' forum we are not here to judge but to give constructive advice... All in all I guess I just disapprove of you calling her a 'complete *****' when you haven't been in her position
    Thanks a lot!!! You really help me explain the case clearly. "(so all in all it would take 2x 40 minutes + the actual tutoring session and thus a sizable part of her day)."
    ________________________________ _________________________

Some replies ask would I get A lift and a drop at home? no...he does not have car. There are public transports... A suggesting of his sister's intelligence problem? Yup, I really do in a slightly way and it is another poor story from the early birth...(7-month-old baby) I wish his sister is healthy, lovable and as interesting as other girls too...

Why his brother does not tutor her? Because his brother is busy with work. My boyfriend is a perfectionist. He wants to excel in his job. He has been a good brothr already in my eyes. I am not parallel to my boyfriend's talent but I would like to use the time to my study and developments too. Of course I know I am selfish but I dont want to pretend to be caring...

ReputationRep:
    You used to have an "education job", yet find younger people boring, and think that it's a waste of time tutoring a girl whose IQ is only "moderate"?

For her sake, don't do it. You sound like a terrible teacher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Bugger. You beat me to it utd88 - my sentiments exactly. +ve rep for you!! :yes:
    Hey? What are you saying, "Bugger"?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd do it... depends how he asked, though.

ReputationRep:
    So you don't want to tutor her because she's not that intelligent, but you'd be willing to tutor her if she was intelligent? Am i the only one that doesn 't get this concept, if someone was intelligent they wouldn't need tutoring, where as this girl needs tutoring and abit of extra help. The intelligence of a person her age is no reflection of how intelligent she may become with abit of extra work and attention. You seem like a very selfish person who thinks themselves alot higher than anyone else and i think you need to take a good hard look at yourself before you start judging other people and their intelligence. Intelligence is useless unless used to help other people.

ReputationRep:
    If you really loved your bf you'd care abit about his family as well..you make such a big deal out of only 4 days of your life. I had to help my best friend's brother who also was not good at school with his final exams, 2 hours a day for 10 days when I had exams too !!! I would use my break hours to help him, I don't see why 4 days would distract you so badly. I think you are selfish and completely rude. You are not even trying to develop a good relationship with his family, which, if you stay together, will cause you bigger problems.
    Anyway, it's your decision....

ReputationRep:
    No offense but are you really the right person to be teaching someone writing and comprehension when your own in your opening post a is pretty appalling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xug)
    Hey? What are you saying, "Bugger"?
    I wrote that?! NO WAY! :o: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I would do it. It's just four times, jeez! Besides, those 4 times could really help her out, in turn making your bf happy, which could lead to great things

ReputationRep:
    if i were in such a situation, i would love to help her for free without the least hesitation. willing to help others is a virtue i think, which ends up with passing love on among people. to all, i want to say please don't combine everything with benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *R*a*c*h*)
    No offense but are you really the right person to be teaching someone writing and comprehension when your own in your opening post a is pretty appalling?
    ...you said it *R*a*c*h* - so'd another member. OP doesn't seem to understand what that means exactly. :rolleyes:

I think it's pretty much there in plain English, and not getting through!

Selfishness and a lack of English skills are just one big fluffy cloud over this wholesome tale!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    If you really loved your bf you'd care abit about his family as well..you make such a big deal out of only 4 days of your life. I had to help my best friend's brother who also was not good at school with his final exams, 2 hours a day for 10 days when I had exams too !!! I would use my break hours to help him, I don't see why 4 days would distract you so badly. I think you are selfish and completely rude. You are not even trying to develop a good relationship with his family, which, if you stay together, will cause you bigger problems.
    Anyway, it's your decision....
    LOL!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *R*a*c*h*)
    she explained that english is not her native language and that the writing will be at her language, not english..
    Why don't people read the whole thread before posting ? Especially since it's like 2 pages long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    I would do it. It's just four times, jeez! Besides, those 4 times could really help her out, in turn making your bf happy, which could lead to great things
    and this.

ReputationRep:
    LOL!
    what ? was I so funny ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xristina)
    what ? was I so funny ?
    Haha, im sorry, its just the way you said all those things and then said Anyways, its your decision...never you mind i think its just my retard side kicking in

ReputationRep:
    You are quite right but it is a bit hypocritical for me to help her out (which I'm not really sure whether I am successful) in order to make my boyfriend happy.

Anyway thanks!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.