Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm a Canadian grad student, starting a DPhil in October. My partner will be moving to Oxford with me, and he'll be looking for work (he has British and Canadian citizenship, so we hope that will help).

I just heard from the housing office that I've been offered a 2-bedroom flat in the Alan Bullock Close. http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/accommodat...uple/abc.shtml.

I'm wondering if anyone has lived there or is familiar with the building. 800 GBP is probably a fair price for the area, but I'm concerned about the quality of the accommodations. I'm wondering if there is sufficient natural light in the flat, if the place and building are clean, if it's generally a healthy and pleasant environment. :hmmmm:

Any and all advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks
    -purple

ReputationRep:
    some of my friends live there. it's pretty nice - there's certainly enough lighting and i've never spotted anything that seemed particularly dirty or anything. there doesn't seem to be much of an atmosphere (mostly people keeping very sensible hours, often with young children, etc) but i think this is what happens when you live with a random selection of grads.

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks, PN, that's very helpful, and very reassuring to know you haven't seen anything particularly dirty.

ReputationRep:
    You'll do a lot worse, basically- expect it to be fairly basic, but it'll at least be clean. Seems a pretty reasonable price, too, for a 2 bed flat. Most private student houses seem to be around £375-£425pppm from what i've seen, and it's only the larger houses that are at the cheaper end per person.

ReputationRep:
    Athena, thanks for the 'inside info' on the location and proximity to the bus station, the park and Cowley Rd. I've only been to Oxford once (well, twice, but the first time was ages ago and I hardly remember any of it) so all this is really good to know.

thomasjtl, yes, seems to be basic but clean. That's great to know about the price. I've been looking online, and it seems reasonable, but it's hard to compare because I don't know the area and can't judge what is a good location. Many thanks!

To be honest, I'm a bit scared of getting depressed in a very rainy/cloudy place and need my home to be a sort of comfy and bright refuge since I will no doubt spend much time there. My college and department are on St. Giles, so the transit time shouldn't be too bad (my guess is 20-25 min walking or 10 min on a bike?). They've offered for a friend to come look at it/take photos, but I don't know anyone in Oxford well enough to bother them.

I'm leaning toward accepting sight unseen, and hoping I don't regret it. At least we can move after the first nine months if need be!

Thanks again for all the helpful information

ReputationRep:
    i can probably go and take photos for you if you want, though i'm not free till monday.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much- although people like to go on about the weather it's generally not too bad in oxford- normally mild temperatures, and it's not like it rains all the time- supposedly of the driest cities in the country. And even if the flat is a bit drab, there'll be plenty of scope to 'decorate' it with rugs, lamps, throws etc. to brighten it up a bit (obviously you can't just paint the wall etc.).

Main student areas-
    East Oxford (cowley rd, iffley rd, st. Clements) lower end of the market, houses vary wildly. Townspeople round here aren't particularly affluent round here, but it's far from a slum! This is where most students live. Lots of shops, takeaways, cafes etc. Close to tescos, which is a much bigger supermarket than the city centre sainsburys. In general worth checking locations carefully, as some of these houses could be really far out.

Abingdon Rd. Quieter area, mainly housing, few shops etc. Similar prices to east oxford. Socially diverse, probably a bit more affluent than east ox, plenty of families etc. The houses i've seen round here have all been decent, but i'm sure there are exceptions. Near the river, a park, tennis courts etc.

Jericho- more expensive, fashionable place to be. A bit closer to city centre, a fair few cafes and bars. Your money doesn't go far round here.

Headington- pretty far out, of more interest to Oxford Brookes students and medical students based in the hospital.

ReputationRep:
    probably not, thanks so much for the offer, sorry i didn't reply earlier, only got a notification after the above post appeared. a friend also offered to check it out, so i should be ok. Will let you know if i'm still desperate by the end of this week, but I hope to have the matter settled by then!

thomasjtl, thanks for the ideas - you're right, brightening up "drab" should be the least of my worries -- and it is. Thanks for the neighbourhood blurbs; I've read about each of them before but the direct comparisons are really useful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.