Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi!
    im thinking of applying to RAM for 2011 entry,

I know that CUKAS and UCAS are completely different and that you may apply to 5 universities through UCAS as well as 6 conservatoires via CUKAS simultaneously- but since RAM has a direct application system of their own,
    how would this then affect the number of universities I may apply to?

What i mean is, would application to RAM count as one of the 5 university choices to be made through UCAS? Or is it a completely separate thing from both UCAS and of course, CUKAS?

thank you!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Basically, you can apply to 5 universities via UCAS, 6 conservatoires via CUKAS and the RAM and GSMD separately. Any RAM/GSMD application goes as completely separate from both UCAS and CUKAS. So if you wanna use up all your available applications, you can have a total of 13 applications

ReputationRep:
    thank you so much!!
    just wondering,
    do you know any conservatoires that are run by the CUKAS system
    and have a strong vocal department?
    o and im also wondering
    no wait
    god im so stupid!!!!:eek3:
    i thought i sent you a PM and i was waiting the whole past week
    for your reply and i was actually gonna just ask you if uv read it...:rolleyes:
    im just gonna go write to you now... ok thank you!

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Basically, you can apply to 5 universities via UCAS, 6 conservatoires via CUKAS and the RAM and GSMD separately. Any RAM/GSMD application goes as completely separate from both UCAS and CUKAS. So if you wanna use up all your available applications, you can have a total of 13 applications

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    my brother applied to conservatoires last year including RAM, Guildhall + Trinity & Birmingham via Cukas.

Lonely Goatherd is right in that the first two are outside CUKAS, so those applications are effectively invisible to the others.

But before you apply to 13 places, you should have a look at the audition requirements which can vary hugely and the cost of applying to conservatoires/attending auditions.

If you are asking for advice on which conservatoires are good for vocal, that suggests you still have a lot of research to do. And you've missed some of the open days (though there are others in the autumn).

Ask your current teacher for recommendations, read prospectuses/websites in detail, maybe try posting on the ABRSM forum.

Finally, I know my brother would recommend organising some consultation lessons with conservatoire professors asap. This will probably be impossible until September now but will help you identify whether the place is right for you/whether you are of the required standard to audition this year/what areas to work on to improve your chances.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    No, i wasnt at all planning to apply to all 6 conservatoires!
    that really would be pointless and very costly too :p:
    Probably just Trinity and RCM via CUKAS, and RAM separately.

you are quite right, i do need to research a lot more in depth.
    and thank you for your kind suggestions as to how i may access myself to all the informations needed!!

and i did think about the consultation lessons,
    but didnt realise the open days and all were coming up all so soon!
    and it seems as though i should really hurry to book myself a consultation lesson as well!!

anyways thank you so much! you've been a great help!

(Original post by peachmelba)
    Hey
    my brother applied to conservatoires last year including RAM, Guildhall + Trinity & Birmingham via Cukas.

Lonely Goatherd is right in that the first two are outside CUKAS, so those applications are effectively invisible to the others.

But before you apply to 13 places, you should have a look at the audition requirements which can vary hugely and the cost of applying to conservatoires/attending auditions.

If you are asking for advice on which conservatoires are good for vocal, that suggests you still have a lot of research to do. And you've missed some of the open days (though there are others in the autumn).

Ask your current teacher for recommendations, read prospectuses/websites in detail, maybe try posting on the ABRSM forum.

Finally, I know my brother would recommend organising some consultation lessons with conservatoire professors asap. This will probably be impossible until September now but will help you identify whether the place is right for you/whether you are of the required standard to audition this year/what areas to work on to improve your chances.

Good luck
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by hotinherre)
    thank you so much!!
    just wondering,
    do you know any conservatoires that are run by the CUKAS system
    and have a strong vocal department?
    o and im also wondering
    no wait
    god im so stupid!!!!:eek3:
    i thought i sent you a PM and i was waiting the whole past week
    for your reply and i was actually gonna just ask you if uv read it...:rolleyes:
    im just gonna go write to you now... ok thank you!
    No problem! Am afraid I don't know anything about particular reputations for vocal departments.

Are you planning on applying this October for deferred entry? (Says in your original post that you're applying for 2011) I'm not sure what conservatoires say about deferred entry... anyway, if you're not applying this October, that will give you more time to do research, practice more, get some consultation lessons and go for open days, etc

Edit: just read the start of your PM! So don't panic: you've got the whole of Year 12 to figure everything out, visit places, get consultation lessons, etc

ReputationRep:
    oh no no no im applying next year in yr 13,
    so i believe next october!

i panicked a little just now thinking i should have already
    had a consultation lesson and an open day visit etc etc !!
    so its good to know ive got some time left..! phew:p:
    thank you!

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    No problem! Am afraid I don't know anything about particular reputations for vocal departments.

Are you planning on applying this October for deferred entry? (Says in your original post that you're applying for 2011) I'm not sure what conservatoires say about deferred entry... anyway, if you're not applying this October, that will give you more time to do research, practice more, get some consultation lessons and go for open days, etc

Edit: just read the start of your PM! So don't panic: you've got the whole of Year 12 to figure everything out, visit places, get consultation lessons, etc

ReputationRep:
    Some places with good vocal departments are RAM, GSMD and RNCM - ring them and ask for prospectuses, have a look around their websites, go for consultation lessons, and you'll get a feel for which places you like and which places you don't like.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hello,
    i would say vocally, RAM is probably the best of all your options. Mary Hammond is literally the best tutor in the WORLD. i swear. you should read a couple of her books :yes:

however, as they are all conservatoires, you will receive superb training anywhere you go (if you get in), and it is all dependant on what you do with that training and how much you put into it will determine how much you will get out etc.

ReputationRep:
    I would go to the open days of at least 3 or 4 of the conservatories. I've applied to 5 universities and 4 conservatoires last year for joint study (so 8 auditions!): RAM, RCM, RNCM and Trinity.

RCM and RAM have the reputation to be 2 of the best, but you have to research a lot about the teachers and the department and whether a particular music college will suit you. Bare in mind that if you're not doing piano, most colleges have their own list of audition pieces you have to choose from, so having more auditions means more pieces to prepare, so its a ballance between focus and more chance.

If you're going to year 13 now, you have to start your application ASAP as the deadline for everything is 1st of October. If you're going to year 12, you have another year to think about it.

PM me if you need any more advice on conservatoire application. I'm going to the Academy in September.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm thinking of applying to the RAM, RCM, Oxford & KCL for 2011 entry (Masters). I'm currently in a conservatory (non-UK) so I'm wondering if it might be a disadvantage if I apply to the universities? (might not have the necessary foundation? I don't know.. :/)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by GrayWolf_Legacy)
    Hi! I'm thinking of applying to the RAM, RCM, Oxford & KCL for 2011 entry (Masters). I'm currently in a conservatory (non-UK) so I'm wondering if it might be a disadvantage if I apply to the universities? (might not have the necessary foundation? I don't know.. :/)
    I can tell you now that it's likely to be a problem for Oxford and that you should e-mail them about it (nearer the application time) to see whether you're a viable candidate or not

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Thank you. Also, the RAM requires 3 reference letters (if I'm not wrong), do you have any idea who they will be expected to be written by?

I know one has to be your instrument teacher, and another, the head teacher/principal or your music teacher. But the principal might not know you (as he does not teach) and we have different teachers for subjects like analysis, history, theory etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hi has anyone attended a live audition in RAM lat year, as i will be going next month ...so i need some guides
    thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.