Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    George Carlin once said "War is (about) rich old men protecting their property by sending (middle class and lower class) young men off to die."

Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V510t...eature=related

Why do we stand for this? Where is our backbone?

If my employer commanded me that for the next 10 years I would have to work without any pay whatsoever I would certainly spit in his face and leave the damn job.

So why do these young men not see what is going on behind their backs? If they could see it, would they too spit in the faces of those who send them to war? Or are they enticed by the rigours of war-life? Are they hypnotized, under the spell?

Are we (ref. soldiers) simply oblivious to the truth? I mean, when you are in the army (or any regime for that matter) you are just a number, a drone, a worker, dispensible (although important to the regiment, hired and fired.

Why do we do it? Where is our gumption? Our self respect?

Why are we oblivious to the truth and why are we asleep?

Although one might proclaim that war is the good life (the German philosopher Nietzsche proclaimed something to that effect, including Heraclitus of Ephesus) and that war can be a "good thing", certainly a war can be "Just" and not these propaganda wars that we've had in the past.

In fact, I really cannot think of any "just" war in our modern human history. All the wars of modern times up to the present have been about propaganda, lies and social engineering. It's not like when Egyptian kings had to quel uprisings in the Palestinian highlands and had to defend their borders against anarchy and rebellion. These modern wars are wars that are totally unjust; massive people needlesly dying carried off to graves all for the sake of a few insidious and pernicious old men in positions of power.

What ye think?

ReputationRep:
    I think that what you said is only true if you are fighting an unjust war, and in that case, what you said isn't the main issue. The main issue is that you are fighting an unjust war.

So the only debate there needs to be is whether a war is or is not a just war. If it is, then go for it. If it's not, then don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Octopus)
    I think that what you said is only true if you are fighting an unjust war, and in that case, what you said isn't the main issue. The main issue is that you are fighting an unjust war.

So the only debate there needs to be is whether a war is or is not a just war. If it is, then go for it. If it's not, then don't.

The problem with that being that my justwar is unjust to you and vice versa (in the hypothetical world at least, I'm sure we'll agree on some things but on what war is just and unjust we will have differences of opinion).

ReputationRep:
    Most people couldnt give a damn about the philosophical rammifications of their careers, they care that they get paid.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of soldiers know that they are joining the army because of a large possibility that they will be sent to war. If they don't like this notion, they shouldn't join. End of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.