Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you use sunbeds? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you use sunbeds?
    YES - 2 minutes or less per week.
    0%
    YES - 3 - 5 minutes per week.
    6.67%
    YES - 6 -10 minutes per week.
    5.00%
    YES - 11 - 19 minutes per week.
    1.67%
    YES - 20 minutes or over per week.
    0%
    NO - I do not use sunbeds.
    40.00%
    NO - I do not use sunbeds, and I think they should be banned.
    46.67%

ReputationRep:
    Thread in regards to this.

Pick an option from the poll and discuss.

If 'YES', pick the minutes you have, if you don't go once a week then just average your minutes out over one week.

ReputationRep:
    Arrghhh ye defo

ReputationRep:
    no, i don't particually fancy malignant melenoma (i really can't spell sorry :o:)
    i'm so pale i'd burn to a crisp within seconds

ReputationRep:
    been on one once though considering going back- have you seen our weather, if your not going all the time (unlike a friend of mine who went through a spell of going every day!!! True) then you should be okay

ReputationRep:
    I have a permanent tan, so I have no need for them.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Even when I go on holiday I cover up with factor 25. Too scared of skin cancer and the like.

Fake tan ftw

ReputationRep:
    Never. It shocs me that people still do.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I can burn in the middle of winter so its not wise xD

ReputationRep:
    No, and never will. Probably wouldn't even use fake tan either.

ReputationRep:
    sometimes
    I used them for about 6 weeks before i went on my hols to get a bit of a base tan and then i used a few when i came back but ive got bored now, cant be bothered, my tan is fakin now tho guess it'll have 2 be fake tan.

ReputationRep:
    To quote 50 cent:

Get a tan?
    I'm already black

Rich?
    I'm already that

ReputationRep:
    Never, and never used fake tan. I just ain't that fussed I guess.

ReputationRep:
    No. But they should not be banned (form of population control of chavs)

ReputationRep:
    yep and most of my mates do, and none of us are chavs.

not like every week though, just 1-3 when a natural tan fades to keep it as long as poss

ReputationRep:
    I just don't get why people want to look tanned? It looks cheap and chavvy.

Stay pale!!

ReputationRep:
    No I don't. I don't see anything wrong with being my pale self - in fact I quite like my skin colour at times.
    I'm certainly not going to try and change it and risk skin cancer - it wouldn't even do anything for me anyway, I'm so pale I've never had a tan in my life and just burn in seconds. :p:
    Seriously, why can't we just be happy being the colours we are?

ReputationRep:
    no because from seeing friends after using them, it's a waste of money for such a minimal change. I'm too low maintenance to bother with tans (real or fake).

i don't think they should be banned, I think the age limit should remain at 16 but there should be tougher checks eg. you can walk into a suntan shop in school uniform and not be checked for a 16+ card etc.

ReputationRep:
    No way, just no. I don't understand why having moderately pale skin is associated with being ill and deathly. I also cringe at people who have clearly been on the sunbeds for a ridiculously long time, as no holiday+living in the north of england does not equate to a "naturally" orange tan, and we're talking barbequeued here.

ReputationRep:
    I went on them this summer before I went on holiday to stop myself burning loads on holiday. Only had 6 sessions and it worked. I usually burn REALLY badly on holiday.

Didn't burn using the sunbed and didn't burn once on a 2 week holiday. I wouldn't regularly use them (or use them for vanity reasons) because they aren't worth the risk but 6 sessions probably damaged my skin less than I would have damaged it if I had got burned really badly on holiday. Was well worth it imo.

ReputationRep:
    Been once didn't like it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.