Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any Idea How to Get 20 UCAS Points In a Month? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam656)
    Its ok, guess i gotta bite the bullet and do the crappy comp sci foundation.

maybe after first year i can switch courses.
    If you don't like the four year they are offering you, think twice before taking it on. Check whether if you do well in the Foundation year you will be allowed to switch to the course you really want. Otherwise, you will use up your loan entitlement on something you don't really want to do.

ReputationRep:
    An AQA BAC?

Google it. All you need is 100 hours of community service/personal development/something else and a 5000 word dissitation do it on ICT

ReputationRep:
    grade 6 recorder... or seriously do a LAMDA public speaking exam/ reading for performance - very easy cheap points..

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's forgetting that the OP said it had to be IT related.

ReputationRep:
    Ecdl ??

ReputationRep:
    Extended project? Lots of people in my school are doing it over the summer, so it could easily be completed in a month. And since you choose the subject, it would obviously be ICT related. That's not factoring in the time for the exam board to mark it and stuff, but perhaps the uni would be lenient enough to let you in if they knew you would have the points as soon as it was marked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Extended project? Lots of people in my school are doing it over the summer, so it could easily be completed in a month. And since you choose the subject, it would obviously be ICT related. That's not factoring in the time for the exam board to mark it and stuff, but perhaps the uni would be lenient enough to let you in if they knew you would have the points as soon as it was marked.
    I am doing this but the extended project is part of a bigger thing called the AQA bacc which requires 100 hours of various activities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaccyG)
    I am doing this but the extended project is part of a bigger thing called the AQA bacc which requires 100 hours of various activities.
    It don't think it has to be. Other exam boards besides AQA offer the EPQ and as far as I'm aware even with AQA it can be taken as a stand alone quflication without the AQA bacc.

Well, I'm doing an extended project and certainly am not doing 100 hours volunteer work, so :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haydoncrewduk)
    open uni corse?? duno how long they take to enroll for, I did one and it knocked my points up nicely
    Unrelated: where are you from in Northumberland?

Related: If you are applying through clearing then I doubt they will care about 20 points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Only if they're grade 5 or above, which would also mean having to sit a theory exam, and music exams take months to get a place on.
    Are you sure? I thought it was grades 6-8 that got points.

Anyway, getting a qualification in the summer that gets you UCAS points will be difficult. Most things don't run at this time. If the module you failed on wasn't your fault, you could email the uni and explain. Perhaps they'd let you off the 20 points?

Also, why is no other uni an option? Depending on your reasons, you could look in clearing for somewhere else. No point spending all that money on a course you don't want to do especially if it doesn't help you get a job at the end (moreso than the 4 years experience you could have if you hadn't gone).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam656)
    Ye I thought I’m pretty screwed, I got robed on the a-levels, 1 of my units came back as F/ungraded due to someone cheating. Was the last time my college was doing the course as well so couldn’t resit.

The uni is university of Westminster, I wanted to do a 3 year network course. But because of the 20 points short I have to do a 4 year computer science with first year foundation. For one I don't want to do comp sci because its crap, secondly I don't want to do a extra year and 3rdly its like 10k a year :rolleyes:

No other uni is a option really and it’s pretty late to change.
    Most first years on computing degrees are fairly similar, and you would be able to transfer to another course. But if you are interested in networking I would question why you are doing a degree rather than a CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) course, which you could even do part-time.

Be more specific about the skills you want to acquire and I will be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Unrelated: where are you from in Northumberland?

Related: If you are applying through clearing then I doubt they will care about 20 points.
    A: The middle of a field (as most places in n'land are!!) kinda between Hexham, Allendale, Alston ish. on the cumbria border. Went to Haydon Bridge

B: yeh I know was jsut my best idea lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Are you sure? I thought it was grades 6-8 that got points.

Anyway, getting a qualification in the summer that gets you UCAS points will be difficult. Most things don't run at this time. If the module you failed on wasn't your fault, you could email the uni and explain. Perhaps they'd let you off the 20 points?

Also, why is no other uni an option? Depending on your reasons, you could look in clearing for somewhere else. No point spending all that money on a course you don't want to do especially if it doesn't help you get a job at the end (moreso than the 4 years experience you could have if you hadn't gone).
    Ah, I meant to put above grade 5, not grade 5 and above... Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haydoncrewduk)
    A: The middle of a field (as most places in n'land are!!) kinda between Hexham, Allendale, Alston ish. on the cumbria border. Went to Haydon Bridge

B: yeh I know was jsut my best idea lol.
    I live a little further north in Rothbury, and went to King Edwards VI in Morpeth. You are the first person from Northumberland that I have seen on TSR. Do you live at home during the summer too?

I was not criticising your suggestion by the way. I did not want to leave a completely irrelevant comment so I thought I would answer the OP's question while asking my own. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I live a little further north in Rothbury, and went to King Edwards VI in Morpeth. You are the first person from Northumberland that I have seen on TSR. Do you live at home during the summer too?

I was not criticising your suggestion by the way. I did not want to leave a completely irrelevant comment so I thought I would answer the OP's question while asking my own. :p:
    ahh there are plenty of the little red and yellow flags arround lol. ahh iv hiked arround Rothbury area. yeh some of it, but spending as much time as i can at uni whilst still earning enough to live on lol

ReputationRep:
    OK - the OP hasn't posted again and this is turning into a chat thread so I'm closing it now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.