Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else not live with their family? Watch

• View Poll Results: Estranged or ...?
    I'm estranged from my whole family and it was my choice.
    5.19%
    I'm estranged from my whole family and it was not my choice.
    2.60%
    I have a great relationship with my family.
    35.06%
    I'm estranged from some members of my family and it was my choice.
    10.39%
    I'm estranged from some members of my family and it wasn'y my choice.
    14.29%
    I have a bad relationship with my family, but wouldn't ever leave.
    14.29%
    I have a bad relationship with my family, and would consider leaving them.
    18.18%

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I no longer see my family and wondered if anyone else on here does 2? I don't know, I guess I just want to feel that I'm not alone in having gone through this. Please feel free to comment or PM me if you'd prefer. I'm happy to talk to people about this, and would also really love to help anyone just having trouble (I've had a lot of experience of relationships deteriorating).

I think I'll make a poll so the results are more easy to see. Juts mulling over family life, and life in general, and curious where everyone else is at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    search! use the search function!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    search! use the search function!!!
    I did, but nothing like this. besides, I really just need to let some steam off now, and find others who understand.

ReputationRep:
    Nope! I couldn't imagine anything worse tbh (well, except them all dying :sad:), I love my family!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Nope! I couldn't imagine anything worse tbh (well, except them all dying :sad:), I love my family!
    You're really lucky, you must be such a close family Good luck in the race by the way!

ReputationRep:
    I have my immediate family, but I'm estranged from all my cousins, aunties, uncles and grandparents - mainly because they were all *****, who weren't happy with anything we did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    I have my immediate family, but I'm estranged from all my cousins, aunties, uncles and grandparents - mainly because they were all *****, who weren't happy with anything we did.
    Crikey, all of them . If you don't mind talking about it, what happened with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingJoe)
    Crikey, all of them . If you don't mind talking about it, what happened with them?
    Yeah, all of 'em. I might PM you later with some of the details - don't like going in-depth in public. 'Tis a shame really. :sigh:

Do you mind me asking - are you estranged because of your orientation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    Yeah, all of 'em. I might PM you later with some of the details - don't like going in-depth in public. 'Tis a shame really. :sigh:

Do you mind me asking - are you estranged because of your orientation?
    Thanks, if you could. I'd be really interested to know what happened

And In a way, yes. Why?

ReputationRep:
    I don't talk to a lot of my family, but it doesn't bother me that much.

ReputationRep:
    how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm estranged from certain aunts/uncles and stuff but its all family rubbish that has caused it to happen. The rest of my family still talk and stuff!

I hope you are okay with everything and are finding it alright it must be a very difficult situation to be in

ReputationRep:
    I am from my mum and we haven't spoken in months but I'm hoping to change that Oh and it was semi my choice and semi the rest of my family's choice :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    how old are you?
    I'm 18 now.

(Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I am from my mum and we haven't spoken in months but I'm hoping to change that
    What happened between you two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapturedSoul)
    I probably will be in a few years.
    :console: How come?

ReputationRep:
    I am from my dad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingJoe)
    I'm 18 now.

What happened between you two?
    I'd rather not say, sorry :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    I'm estranged from certain aunts/uncles and stuff but its all family rubbish that has caused it to happen. The rest of my family still talk and stuff!

I hope you are okay with everything and are finding it alright it must be a very difficult situation to be in
    Thanks, yes, it's not the easiest, especially as I have to get student finance now as an independent student, an had to convince them that i was estranged etc.

What happened with your family?

i have a bad relationship with my family and would consider leaving them

right now i can't cause i'm 16 and live with them...but in the future i certainly will, except for my mum, even though i do resent her like the other members, she'd be the only one i'd honestly be gutted if she died
    i'm not close at all with relatives, except for a couple but only because i'm forced to see them

so yeah, i won't be keeping in touch with anyone but the mum when i'm completely estranged
    which isn't really a sad thing, it's the only way i can finally get closure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    I'd rather not say, sorry :o:
    That;s fine, I hope everything goes well for you, and that you make it up with her soon good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.