Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please leave anon, I think 'friend' may be on TSR
    A friend once told me that I was 'difficult to talk to'.. Which is odd because I never considered myself 'difficult to talk to'... But that is a curse indeed.
    Do you guys have any pointers that might help?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    maybe just try and be laid back, smiley / happy, ask questions, make people feel important, and just try not to worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't limit the conversation by giving answers you can't expand on, ie, 'yes', 'no', 'I'm not sure', etc. Make an effort, even if you make a fool out of yourself.

Ask questions and volunteer information about yourself.

Be willing to have deep conversations, as well as just small talk.

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Don't limit the conversation by giving answers you can't expand on, ie, 'yes', 'no', 'I'm not sure', etc. Make an effort, even if you make a fool out of yourself.

This

It's incredibly hard trying to have a convesation with someone when they keep giving one word replies.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be too serious, don't be too opinionated, and don't be too argumentative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)

Exactly this.

Don't be one of those people who you have to try and force to have a decent conversation be prodding them to give more than just one word replies and so you end up blocking them because it just gets tedious - or in real life that everyone just talks less to.

Start up conversations yourself, and, as kat2pult said, as questions and be prepared to open up more.

Also, be less stubborn.

ReputationRep:
    I found the best way, is if someone gives you some ribbing, don't get offended, just join in

For example:

Friend: "Dude, you live in a cardboard box!"
    Me: "Psh, I wish. That would be luxury compared to my bin liner."

Simple, just laugh it off. And remember to give as good as you get

Also, it sounds horrible, but people are stuck up and think they are #1. I.e. They like someone who can listen to their problems and offer opinions or advice. It's worked for me, and a lot of people I would of once never considered as a friend, now trust me with a lot of very personal problems and always come to me for advice

ReputationRep:
    http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...ller-smile.jpg

smiling helps

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.