Turn on thread page Beta

How old is 2 old??? : / watch

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your maturity level. I know some 16 year olds who it would be fine for, because they are mature, others who I would say it's too big a gap. Generally, if it's a problem for you and worries you, it might be a bad idea. If you aren't bothered by it, then 8 years isn't that much, provided he isn't taking advantage of you

ReputationRep:
    I think 8 years age difference isn't bad at all. I've dated quite a few guys that much older than me and it's always been fine. Just enjoy things and don't worry about your ages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnahh)
    I don't think its wrong at all, what I think is that you need to make sure he isn't just taking advantage of you. Plus,maybe you should wait til you're 18 or something?
    I agree with this. Waiting until you're actually old enough to go out drinking will show your parents that he's responsible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalFlash)
    I'm surprised no one has used that formula to work out if he's too old yet http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...es/curious.gif
    Ooh ooh! Me me! :wavey: (24/2) + 7 = 19 -> you're too young OP.
    Do I get a cookie? :cookie:

(Original post by Crazy_Moo129)
    How old are you both mentally?

There's 11 years between my partner and I. i'm now 20 and he soon to be 31. we have been together 3 years. At first my parents were a bit cautious but once they got to know him, they think he's smashing. admittedly, he still likes star wars and playing with lego and i'm quite mature for my age.

Be carefull, if his last girlfriend was 17, is he genuinely attracted to you or does he just like young women?

I say go for it, or you'll never know.
    :lolwut:

(Original post by OriginofSymmetry)
    Is he 12?
    That's some great maths there brah! :top:

ReputationRep:
    Too big an age gap IMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    That's some great maths there brah! :top:

The only hint to age is the fact he went out with a 17 year old once. :dontknow:

Nope, it's been edited...

ReputationRep:
    Legal = too old.

ReputationRep:
    age is nothing but a number and all,
    you clearly think your older than you are; going to bars and what not.

i think the guy may have a thing for younger girls though.

sounds cliche and all, but follow your heart, only you know what you truly feel, and think about the situation

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way: I'm 25, and there is no chance in hell I would ever date a 17 year old. I'd slap someone my age if I knew they were into someone your age, OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazMaz)
    why can't he get a girl his own age?
    I think thats the first question i would ask, secondly why would you want someone whos so much older?
    Thirdly sorry to say but hes a guy and hes going for a much younger girl, what reason springs to your mind first?
    Age is something and its much more than a number its a mindset, at his age your more than likely going to be a different person.
    However at the end of the day your descision, at least make sure he has a nice car. :cool: :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Why does when a guy dates a younger girl people often worry he's taking advantage yet rarely mention when a girl dates a younger guy.

Anyway its borderline datable, I know 17/18 year old girls with guys around 23/24 and the relationship has ended well but it does depend on the person, if the guy is around that age and likes to party a lot i'd say its harder to last, if the guy likes clubbing but balances it well enough with his other actvities then it can.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and the guy I'm seeing is 27. That's 8 years. We have great chemistry, and age really isn't an issue. The only time it may cause conflict is if he wants a family/is dedicated to work and moving out and you are off to university. You are perhaps at different stages in your lives, however I don't let that be an issue either.

As long as you don't focus on age, and focus on each other, it shouldn't be a problem

PM me if you want to talk.

ReputationRep:
    hmm everyone has their own age limits. if you really get on with the guy, i'd say give it a go but be careful and etc. also, 8 years seems a lot now but might not later, if that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    The rule is that you should go out with only people who are equal to or greater than; (your age/2 + 7) years old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Ooh ooh! Me me! :wavey: (24/2) + 7 = 19 -> you're too young OP.
    Do I get a cookie? :cookie:
    There it is :awesome:

Sorry I'm all out

ReputationRep:
    So you're 16 and he's 24......well in my opinion that is too big of a gap just because at 24 he's probably in a really different mind frame to you. Then again if you really like him perhaps you should just carry on and see how it goes...see if the age gap gets in the way becasue you might find that it doesn't...

I was in your position not that long ago, im 18 and he was 26! met randomly through a friend on a drunken night out altho he was sober lol! We got on and decided to meet up, but was kinda awkward lol! Then found out through means of bebo that hes actually 33 but he still thinks i think hes 26! Needless to say i got shot of him quickly coz a 15 year age is jsut waaaaay to much for my liking, but i wasnt 100% sure of the 8 year difference in the first place lol!

ReputationRep:
    I know a girl just your age who went out with a 25 year old man. He was abusive and controlled her a lot. She later found out that he was married and he had a child. So I would say: yes, you're too young to go with a man that age.
    Besides, it's clearly an issue for you too, otherwise you wouldn't be posting this thread.

ReputationRep:
    My sister has the same age difference between her boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondi)
    IS 8 YEARS JUST WRONG??? we did talk about the age thing and his last GF was 17 and i'm soon to be 17 (he is soon going to be 25), hmm....!!! :confused:
    8 years isn't too much, I've been seeing someone 8 years older and I've also seen someone 12 years older.
    The only thing I'd say is at 17 do you feel mature enough with him? Etc etc

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.