Turn on thread page Beta

How old is 2 old??? : / watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    I know a girl just your age who went out with a 25 year old man. He was abusive and controlled her a lot. She later found out that he was married and he had a child. So I would say: yes, you're too young to go with a man that age.
    Besides, it's clearly an issue for you too, otherwise you wouldn't be posting this thread.
    Thats completely ridiculous. Because of one, isolated experience of your friend, you conclude that no one should go out with older men?

This could easily happen with a younger man, and 25 is hardly old . I really don't understand how you could infer your conclusion from the reasons you gave. OP, please don't listen to this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    Thats completely ridiculous. Because of one, isolated experience of your friend, you conclude that no one should go out with older men?

This could easily happen with a younger man, and 25 is hardly old . I really don't understand how you could infer your conclusion from the reasons you gave. OP, please don't listen to this.
    Just because you hate me doesn't mean that my advice is nonsense. So instead of disagreeing with the advice I post on every single thread just for the hell of it, try getting your ass out of here.

ReputationRep:
    Mm if you were a few years older an 8 year difference wouldn't be quite so bad. But as it goes, he is legal to drink and go out and what not, probably has a proper full time job, will have finished uni if that was what he done and whatever. You, on the other hand, aren't legal to drink, and are still at high school/college I imagine. It's just a completely different world! I'm 16 too and I go to bars and clubs and the like, with friends who are a few years older, and while I can interact really well with people of about 19/20, I just think someone who was like 24/25 just seems like an adult! It's up to you really, but you both are at completely different stages in your life. In all honesty I would be rather surprised if anything serious came out of it. It's up to you though, just look after yourself whatever you do.

ReputationRep:
    My ex was six years older than me. She only found out I was still at school after we had being going out for about 2 months. As long as the two of you are fine with it who cares what everyone else things, as long as you dont end up doing time lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i would never date a 17 year old and i'm 21

imagine introducing her to your mates, hey this is my gf, she's doing AS levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    Just because you hate me doesn't mean that my advice is nonsense. So instead of disagreeing with the advice I post on every single thread just for the hell of it, try getting your ass out of here.
    Thats not why I was disagreeing with you, I was reading through the thread and disagreed with your post, and made my opinions clear. Do you have a problem with people challenging your opinions?
    Why do you feel the need to be aggressive? Can't you at least see my why my previous point might be valid?

ReputationRep:
    Thats not why I was disagreeing with you, I was reading through the thread and disagreed with your post, and made my opinions clear. Do you have a problem with people challenging your opinions?
    Why do you feel the need to be aggressive? Can't you at least see my why my previous point might be valid?
    Again, NO, I don't have a problem with people challenging my opinions. But I DO have a problem with you contradicting me all the time just because you hate me. I very much doubt that you agree with what you posted, you just posted it because you want to have a reason to go against me all the time, which I think is idiotic and immature.
    If someone else posted what I had posted, you wouldn't have disagreed with them. You just disagreed with my post because it happened to be me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    Again, NO, I don't have a problem with people challenging my opinions. But I DO have a problem with you contradicting me all the time just because you hate me. I very much doubt that you agree with what you posted, you just posted it because you want to have a reason to go against me all the time, which I think is idiotic and immature.
    If someone else posted what I had posted, you wouldn't have disagreed with them. You just disagreed with my post because it happened to be me.
    No, I gave a good, impassionate case as to why I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    He'll use you and discard you. Steer clear.

ReputationRep:
    No, I gave a good, impassionate case as to why I disagree.
    Oh, yeah? Why do you disagree, then, if it isn't because of the reasons I stated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    That's what she said :awesome:
    lmfao
    and great sig

rep

ReputationRep:
    i meant the quote of the too big thing lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    Oh, yeah? Why do you disagree, then, if it isn't because of the reasons I stated?
    I said in my original post! Because you think that your friend being treated badly by an older man, due to factors unrelated to him being older, means that no one should date olde rmen.

You make these gaping flaws in reasoning:

1. You argue that if an older man does something bad which is not to do with him being an older man (lying/ cheating/ having a wife and kid but not saying), then it is because he is an older man. This is clearly incoherent.

2. You then, on the incredibly flimsy basis of one, make another horrific error. You say that because one older man is bad due to him being an old man, all older men should be avoided. Hence, you rule out maybe 20 million of the UK's population (men that are older than you) on the basis of the actions of 1 of those men.

. I think the only reason you accept this argument is that you don't quite understand the process of reasoning, which when deconstructed, shows that it is completely illogical.

ReputationRep:
    well i've been with my boyfriend for quite a few months and there's 6 years between us (i'm 19, he's 25) and it doesn't bother either of us. if you're worried though it might mean that he is too old. follow your instinct.

ReputationRep:
    I said in my original post! Because you think that your friend being treated badly by an older man, due to factors unrelated to him being older, means that no one should date olde rmen.

You make these gaping flaws in reasoning:

1. You argue that if an older man does something bad which is not to do with him being an older man (lying/ cheating/ having a wife and kid but not saying), then it is because he is an older man. This is clearly incoherent.

2. You then, on the incredibly flimsy basis of one, make another horrific error. You say that because one older man is bad due to him being an old man, all older men should be avoided. Hence, you rule out maybe 20 million of the UK's population (men that are older than you) on the basis of the actions of 1 of those men.

. I think the only reason you accept this argument is that you don't quite understand the process of reasoning, which when deconstructed, shows that it is completely illogical.
    I think it's you the one that doesn't understand the process of reasoning. I merely put an example of why it might be wrong to date someone that is so much older than you. I didn't, at any costs, say that all older men should be avoided. I was merely giving a piece of constructive advice. You must be pretty stupid if you can't see that.
    Besides, a man of 25 is more likely to be married and/or have his own life than a younger man who might be more suitable to date a 16 year old girl. Furthermore, OP clearly has a problem with dating this man, otherwise she wouldn't have created this thread in the fist place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    I think it's you the one that doesn't understand the process of reasoning. I merely put an example of why it might be wrong to date someone that is so much older than you. I didn't, at any costs, say that all older men should be avoided. I was merely giving a piece of constructive advice. You must be pretty stupid if you can't see that.
    Besides, a man of 25 is more likely to be married and/or have his own life than a younger man who might be more suitable to date a 16 year old girl. Furthermore, OP clearly has a problem with dating this man, otherwise she wouldn't have created this thread in the fist place.
    Your original post:
    (Original post by Eva2)
    I know a girl just your age who went out with a 25 year old man. He was abusive and controlled her a lot. She later found out that he was married and he had a child. So I would say: yes, you're too young to go with a man that age.

This is your argument in part 1:

1. One girl your age went out with a 25 year old man. He was:
    a) Abusive and controlled her a lot
    b) She later found out that he was married and had a child.

2. Therefore, you are too young to go out with a man that age

Besides, it's clearly an issue for you too, otherwise you wouldn't be posting this thread.
    1. Your example is ridiculous. Part 1a of your argument- the fact that the guy was abusive and controlling - has nothing to do with him being older, so is irrelevant to your conclusion. Your conclusion IS that she is too young to go out with a man that age. How else could that have been reached if you weren't tarring all older men with the same brush? The assumption needed in your argument is that all older men will act in a similar way as the ways previously stated, otherwise your conclusion is invalid.

2. Part 1b of your argument is slightly valid - it is more likely that an older man would have a wife and child. However, it is not more likely that an older man would lie about an aspect of him that is undesirable to a romantic partner - and that is the crux of your reason for avoidance in this part. So I would say mostly invalid.

The last part of your argument I don't have a problem with, although it doesnt really add anything

ReputationRep:
    Initially 25 doesn't seem to old at all, as long as you're over the age of consent; by your shocked reaction though, maybe you're not ready for it. And I guess you should be on the alert for those 20 something guys who seem to nurture a sort of 'schoolgirl fetish', perhaps because they're unwilling to grow up a bit themselves.

But 25 is still very young, and if you're both mature, and the feelings mutual, there's nothing wrong with it. The rules are different with every relationship.

ReputationRep:
    8 years isn't much. But at 17 I think you are too young for a guy of that age. It would be different if you were a few years older

ReputationRep:
    I think it's kind of odd tbh. You're both at different stages in you life, and i really don't see why a 24 year old would want to be with a 16 year old. If you were a bit older then the 8 years age difference wouldn't really matter, but right now i think you're to young.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the age is a problem and I don't get why people do, because some people are mentally older or younger. I think if you feel ok with it op then do it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.