Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Right before my period, my breasts swell to the next cup size up and they're so painful. It's like I'm carrying bags of heavy water around. They hurt the most when I take my bra off (support gone, if I'm walking up/down stairs (I either walk really slowly or hold them in place, or if they accidentally poked/pushed in. The swelling and pain, has become worse in the last few years but it's stayed more or less the same over the last year.

If I go to my GP, do you know what they'll do? I don't want them to be like "okay.....". lol. There's nothing you can do to stop the swelling or pain, is there? Anything to ease it? Why do they swell anyways?

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Swelling is quite common in women around this time, personally I don't tend to experience it but it's due to fluctuations in the level of hormones in your body, namely oestrogen and progesterone.

When you're due on your period, you could try changing you diet, try eating a low fat, high carbohydrate diet, whilst cutting down on salt, coffee and alcohol.

Also a decent amount of sleep and some exercise won't do you any harm.

If it is becoming very painful then maybe go see your GP and maybe they would prescribe you with something.

Hope this helps anyway,

Take Care xx

ReputationRep:
    Mine are normally sensitive during that time, I've never heard of them swelling before?

ReputationRep:
    Same happens to me
    I always thought it was just normal because of the hormones and shizz

ReputationRep:
    Mine always become quite painful and tender a week before, unless I've been eating healthily and exercising, and then I feel totally fine

ReputationRep:
    I get that but not as bad and no swelling, they just hurt if they're touched.

It's like someone fills my breasts with water, I can only comfortably fit into a bra of a bigger cup size. I don't know if it's, extreme water retention in my breasts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's like someone fills my breasts with water, I can only comfortably fit into a bra of a bigger cup size. I don't know if it's, extreme water retention in my breasts?
    It could be, just go to your docs if u want for reassurance.

I have suffered from this, I got a lump before my period about 9 months ago, went to the doctors who just said it was a pre-menstrual cyst. I get a swelling usually every month just in 1 though and extra tenderness. Nothing I can do it about it really, I only get it for 1 or 2days tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yup; before your period your body tends to retain more water, hence breasts swelling up.

Fear not, its normal! Not sure if theres anything you can do (havent considered the diet stuff....) but just keep them well supported. Enjoy checking yourself out in the mirror with your temporary fuller figure as well

ReputationRep:
    I get pain and lumpiness and my bra always feels tighter which is really uncomfortable. I just sleep on my back and take painkillers if it gets really bad. I also went on the pill which seems to have helped a little. If you're not on it already maybe you should try that?

ReputationRep:
    i find taking painkillers helps and wearing a slightly larger bra with no wiring helps.

ReputationRep:
    It's common. As well as period pants, have a period bra!

Strangely, it's one of the horrible period things that doesn't affect me often. I think my breasts getting temporary bigger would've made me happy, and I think God/the devil/fate was determined that NOTHING about my periods should ever make me happy! :dry:

ReputationRep:
    More sensitive but not painful.
    Sports bras help or a bra 1 cup size up.

Its a tell tale sign of my period though if I forget to check the diary

ReputationRep:
    I have this too, exactly as you described it.
    It's bloody awful!
    It can last for as long as two weeks before my period.
    Would a doctor prescribe anything or would it be silly to go to the doctors?

Lowrax, that's what I want to know (about the GP).

ReputationRep:
    mine just get a bit too sensitive.
    but i think its normal it happens with my frnd ,yet if the pain is unbearable then u shd go see your gp.

ReputationRep:
    this used to happen to me (along with terrible period pains) so i went to the doctors and went onto the pill. i now get minimal pain during my period and only get sore or enlarged breasts if i run two packs of my pill together. it's probably worth a trip to the docs to see if there's anything they can do? i went on the pill and it sorted things so never questioned what other treatment there was.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.