Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find information on how competitive a UK university place on any particular course is?

Unistats.com has been suggested, however I cannot find any information relating to this on there.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    push.co.uk have the no.applicants to places ratio listed for each uni, not sure about each specific course though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    University prospectuses / websites will probably be your best bet. Keep in mind, though, that they usually won't tell you the applications : offer ratio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    University prospectuses / websites will probably be your best bet. Keep in mind, though, that they usually won't tell you the applications : offer ratio.

Oxbridge do give stats on application to offer ratio, no?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Billy's Willy)
    Oxbridge do give stats on application to offer ratio, no?
    Most people who get an Oxbridge offer accept it. The number of people accepting other uni offers is much lower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Most people who get an Oxbridge offer accept it. The number of people accepting other uni offers is much lower
    Sorry, I meant applicants to offers. Say, 400 applicants with 50 offers. I thought they released these stats?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry, I meant applicants to offers. Say, 400 applicants with 50 offers. I thought they released these stats?
    But most Oxbridge offers are accepted. So if they make 50 offers, 48 or 49 will be accepted. Other unis will have much lower rates - some unis only have a fifth of offers accepted
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Cambridge might, but Oxford doesn't, as far as I know. Anyway, the point is that most universities won't mention by how much they over-offer, because they're worried that revealing those figures would skew them and make it more difficult to plan in advance how many offers to give out. Also, "last year we received 8 applications per place" obviously sounds much grander than "last year we received 800 applications for 100 places to read Ovine Studies. Out of those, 300 were absolute no-hopers whom we rejected straight away and the remaining 500 received offers. Sadly, most of them decided to go elsewhere in the end."

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge might, but Oxford doesn't, as far as I know. Anyway, the point is that most universities won't mention by how much they over-offer, because they're worried that revealing those figures would skew them and make it more difficult to plan in advance how many offers to give out. Also, "last year we received 8 applications per place" obviously sounds much grander than "last year we received 800 applications for 100 places to read Ovine Studies. Out of those, 300 were absolute no-hopers whom we rejected straight away and the remaining 500 received offers. Sadly, most of them decided to go elsewhere in the end."
    Righto, I was getting confused for a minute and I'm not the OP!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waster)
    Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find information on how competitive a UK university place on any particular course is?

Unistats.com has been suggested, however I cannot find any information relating to this on there.

Thank you.
    Your looking at the wrong thing.

Unis generally give out many more offers than they have places. Even very competitive courses - for example, LSE and UCL Economics give out 3 times as many offers as they have places each year - they say that 1/3 will reject them, and another 1/3 will miss their offers, leaving the 1/3 to take up that number of places.

So find applications to offers if you want to see how competitive it is. Apps to places tells you nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing that you base that on nothing at all. I managed to find how much unis over-offer for all the unis I cared about - its in the application statistics.

ReputationRep:
    They do although you have to look reasonably hard for them. However, it takes maybe 10 minutes rather than 1 minute on a website. Alternatively, ask at an open day

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh has a part of its website with number of applications and offers, and a percentage. It shows that International Relations has only ~8% chance of an offer.

Oxford has it in their paper prospectus, and Cambridge have details per college online. UCAS is helpful for links to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    They do although you have to look reasonably hard for them. However, it takes maybe 10 minutes rather than 1 minute on a website. Alternatively, ask at an open day
    Yeah I agree. I remember looking for stats about this time last year. It took a lot of research.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hey guysch im kl)
    I'm guessing that you base that on nothing at all.
    I base that on having previously rummaged around quite a few university websites and prospectuses for applicants who were too lazy to do the work themselves (I get bored sometimes).:dontknow: There does seem to be a tendency among universities not to mention statistics from which information about over-offering practices may be derived in the places where the majority of applicants are likely to stumble across them. And sometimes the information simply isn't there. If you managed to find the relevant statistics for all the courses you were interested in, then good for you, but that doesn't mean it's general practice. After all, universities don't *have* to make detailed application statistics for each of their courses publicly available.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Righto, I was getting confused for a minute and I'm not the OP!
    Sorry, the last bit wasn't addressed to you.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.sra.ed.ac.uk/admissions/S...istics2008.htm

ReputationRep:
    Well i can't speak for every university, but when i told my Guidance Teacher my plan in 2nd year she called some number at Abertay and got the number of applicants and number of places in about 5 minutes. Maybe forget trying to find everything in one place ready made and ask the University's instead?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.