Turn on thread page Beta

The Times or The Guardian league tables... watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to go on to postgraduate study next year at a different University. I was just browsing the two league tables and noticed that for my subject, Universities positions were significantly different, in either league tables. I know these league tables are geared toward undergraduate study, but I think it can give you a good idea of the quality of the courses offered.

So who should you listen to The Times or The Guardian?

Neither. Research the course, talk to current students and make your own decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    I'm looking to go on to postgraduate study next year at a different University. I was just browsing the two league tables and noticed that for my subject, Universities positions were significantly different, in either league tables. I know these league tabled are geared toward undergraduate study, but I think it can give you a good idea of quality of courses offered.

So who should you listen to The Times or The Guardian?
    to be honest i would go with The Times.

However if it is a course such as Finance, i would ask employers from whatever industry about how they rank universities.

ReputationRep:
    You can judge the "quality" by looking at the course details yourself and deciding if it's for you or not. Personally I'd try figure which unis would definitely let you in firstly, then work from there.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the Times table is widely accepted as more reliable and accurate than the Guardian tables.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian mainly takes into account teaching and learning, whilst the Times takes into account other things like research and drop-out rates.

My advice for league tables is to see how the university you're looking at ranks for each category (spend, ratio, entrance requirements) and consider how important that category is to you. Also, of course take them with a pinch of salt, particularly things like career prospects which are very hard to accurately calculate.

ReputationRep:
    I think The Times is regarded as more reliable, but remember, there's other factors to consider and not just league tables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roses)
    You can judge the "quality" by looking at the course details yourself and deciding if it's for you or not. Personally I'd try figure which unis would definitely let you in firstly, then work from there.
    Well I'm on course for a 1st. And have lots of extra experience in my subject with professional organisations, and have two lecturers who would write brilliant academic references for me. So I'm not so worried about where I would get in.

As mentioned above, about researching the course - well I take this as standard, and have already contacted admissions departments with questions about the courses. I just want to make the right decision, and seeing the difference in the league tables just intrigued me a little.

ReputationRep:
    OP, remember that these league tables have nothing to do with postgraduate courses. A dept which might have very happy students who all go on to get firsts/2:1s might look pretty good in a league table, but if it doesn't have an established postgraduate community, a large/research active staff base, or the resources to support the increased needs of graduates, then it isn't worth your time. Therefore, I'd forget what the league tables say- they're there to inform 17 year olds/parents who don't know any better, by your stage you should be able to research a department's quality for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should look here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ubject/rae2008 This gives you an idea of the research strength that each university attains according to subject category, and gives you an idea of number of FTE staff involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JCM89)
    Neither. Research the course, talk to current students and make your own decision.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taco23)
    to be honest i would go with The Times.
    But if you have to look at one then this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arctic_wombaT)
    I think that the Times table is widely accepted as more reliable and accurate than the Guardian tables.
    Sure
    1 x 1 is 1
    2 x 2 is 4
    3 x 3 is 9...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Sure
    1 x 1 is 1
    2 x 2 is 4
    3 x 3 is 9...
    Lols! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Sure
    1 x 1 is 1
    2 x 2 is 4
    3 x 3 is 9...
    :awesome:

exactly, the guardian claims that 4x4 = evil gas guzzler, whose driver should be shot, not 16 like the times table does.

ReputationRep:

exactly, the guardian claims that 4x4 = evil gas guzzler, whose driver should be shot, not 16 like the times table does.
    Excellent :p:

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Discussed this here if you're patient enough to read.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You forgot about the one by The Independent! :p:

That said, generally speaking I'd recommend to ignore newspaper league tables, and especially so in your case since you're looking into postgraduate study. You should be looking at more important things for postgraduate study such as library provision, the academics in your department, their specialties and interests, as well as your own, and also the possibility for funding and also the chance for even further study should you so want to endeavor on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    The Guardian mainly takes into account teaching and learning, whilst the Times takes into account other things like research and drop-out rates.

My advice for league tables is to see how the university you're looking at ranks for each category (spend, ratio, entrance requirements) and consider how important that category is to you. Also, of course take them with a pinch of salt, particularly things like career prospects which are very hard to accurately calculate.
    I agree with this.

If you go onto Push's league table it's completely different to the Time's table and the Guardian's. It all depends on what's important to you.

For me, I'm not bothered about research quality much, or the average number of UCAS points. I'm more interested in the staff:student ratio, the graduate prospectives and how many students were satisfied with the course.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.