Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to do a course like Biology or Environmental Science. I know a lot of unis that do their entry requirements in points do accept two A Levels with AS Levels, and I have emailed Liverpool and Manchester Universities and they both said they accept two A Levels and two AS Levels of equivalent grades.

I took Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and History for AS and absolutely hate Sociology and History, (and know I would do crap in them if I carried them onto A Level, probably a C in Sociology not likely to get a B, History let's not go there im awful at it and just took it as a 4th subject!)

I know these Unis have both said they accept two A Levels, but would it be worth it? Manchester want ABB for Biology or BBB for Environmental Science which I think I could get if I got the last B in two extra AS Levels, or one extra AS Level and re-sat Sociology AS.

Would it be worth just doing 2 A Levels in September and trying to get A(Biol) and B(Chem) in them, and then B in 2 AS Levels? My reg teacher said that he doesnt think I should do it and that I should keep Sociology. But I don't think I can get a B in that. On the other hand unis do prefer 3 A Levels and would they just think 'pfft she's only doing 2' when I applied! Any advice would be appreciated here

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem before. I really wanted to just carry on with 2 A levels because I hated my 3rd and my 4th was only offered as an AS. I was going to carry on with 2 A levels and take another 2 AS's in my second year but got it drummed into me that it would be better to take 3 which is what I ended up doing. It was a struggle to keep motivated but now it's over I'm glad I did 3.

Anyways, it's up to you. If you only take 2 Alevels then it would be worth taking up another AS that you'd enjoy to give you more UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl92)
    I want to do a course like Biology or Environmental Science. I know a lot of unis that do their entry requirements in points do accept two A Levels with AS Levels, and I have emailed Liverpool and Manchester Universities and they both said they accept two A Levels and two AS Levels of equivalent grades.

I took Biology, Chemistry, Sociology and History for AS and absolutely hate Sociology and History, (and know I would do crap in them if I carried them onto A Level, probably a C in Sociology not likely to get a B, History let's not go there im awful at it and just took it as a 4th subject!)

I know these Unis have both said they accept two A Levels, but would it be worth it? Manchester want ABB for Biology or BBB for Environmental Science which I think I could get if I got the last B in two extra AS Levels, or one extra AS Level and re-sat Sociology AS.

Would it be worth just doing 2 A Levels in September and trying to get A(Biol) and B(Chem) in them, and then B in 2 AS Levels? My reg teacher said that he doesnt think I should do it and that I should keep Sociology. But I don't think I can get a B in that. On the other hand unis do prefer 3 A Levels and would they just think 'pfft she's only doing 2' when I applied! Any advice would be appreciated here
    You will limit yourself to some extent at least if you are only offering 2 A2s instead of 3. Arguably a C at A2 will stand you in better stead than an average of B from 2 ASs. Taking two new ASs next year on top of 2 A2s would be a big ask anyway.

I think you should wait and see what your AS results actually are before deciding, but on balance I would advise against only doing 2 A2s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BabyGirl92)

I've done it this year. I had English and Media at A2 this year, then did a Design course and Psychology at AS. I applied to 5 good schools and got the offers. I've been offered a place for september by the University of Sheffield for English Language & Literature, which is now my firm. I just did what I had to do to get where I wanted to go. If you need more advice just message me.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.