Turn on thread page Beta

Using iTunes for my music collection... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Well since I've got an iPhone today, I've realised that I have loads of music scattered round my computer in various folders. I want to use iTunes so I can sync the iPhone and computer together. I was wondering how I would go about adding my music collection to iTunes; would I scan the PC, move all my music (using iTunes) to the iTunes Library, or do something else?

Thanks a lot, I just don't want to delete my vast music collection due to a stupid mistake. :o:

ReputationRep:
    you left click the MP3 (only) file, go down to 'open with', then click itunes - I don't know of a less legnthly way to do this

You could search 'mp3' on your computer, and you could get all itune compatible file though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    you left click the MP3 (only) file, go down to 'open with', then click itunes - I don't know of a less legnthly way to do this

You could search 'mp3' on your computer, and you could get all itune compatible file though
    In iTunes, click "File" at the top left, and then click Add File to Library if you only need to add a single tune. For adding whole folders of music, click Add Folder to Library instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieg33)
    In iTunes, click "File" at the top left, and then click Add File to Library if you only need to add a single tune. For adding whole folders of music, click Add Folder to Library instead.
    Thanks, and if the file is already in the library will I get duplicates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by addylad)
    Thanks, and if the file is already in the library will I get duplicates?
    I don't think so, it will probably ask if you want to replace it/leave it. I've never tried this, so I'm not actually sure!

ReputationRep:
    Find every music file (by searching perhaps, like Skye33 said) and put them all in one folder, I did this, called it 'Music' and put it on my desktop. Then click File>Add Folder to Library, and add that specific folder. However, you're itunes will then be filled with loads of duplicates (the older ones, which will no longer play, but stay there anyway ...), so it may be worth emptying your iTunes list first to stop this, as it will be a bugger to find all the duplicates later.

I have spent several long nights alone doing crap like this :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Find every music file (by searching perhaps, like Skye33 said) and put them all in one folder, I did this, called it 'Music' and put it on my desktop. Then click File>Add Folder to Library, and add that specific folder. However, you're itunes will then be filled with loads of duplicates (the older ones, which will no longer play, but stay there anyway ...), so it may be worth emptying your iTunes list first to stop this, as it will be a bugger to find all the duplicates later.

I have spent several long nights alone doing crap like this :no:
    How can I clear the Library without actually deleting them?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Well since I've got an iPhone today, I've realised that I have loads of music scattered round my computer in various folders. I want to use iTunes so I can sync the iPhone and computer together. I was wondering how I would go about adding my music collection to iTunes; would I scan the PC, move all my music (using iTunes) to the iTunes Library, or do something else?

Thanks a lot, I just don't want to delete my vast music collection due to a stupid mistake. :o:

This is what i would do
    Make a folder, name it music, put all your music in there then just drag and drop :-)
    Want any advise or further info gis a shout :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Reinstall itunes. At the setup steps iTunes asks whether you would like it to search your computer for iTunes compatible music. Easy.

The other method recommended appears to be very lengthy!

ReputationRep:
    How can I clear the Library without actually deleting them?

Thanks!
    Hmm, I just thought about it, and a good way would be to search for them all, move them all to the 'Music' folder, or whatever you wish to call it. Then, open iTunes and make sure that none of the songs play anymore. If some do, their source file (right click>show in windows explorer) must be moved to your new folder. Once this is complete, and none of yours songs play, you are safe.

Then in iTunes, Ctrl+A (which selects all files) and click delete, don't worry, the files are safe there in your new folder 'Music', or whatever it's called.

Then, you have the option of File>Add Folder to Library>Music, or, as someone above said, reinstall iTunes, which will then search for all your music files automatically and will then find them in your folder.

ReputationRep:
    iTunes has an option to find music stored on the computer automatically doesn't it? And you can also choose to copy all music to your music\itunes music folder. Then you can just delete all the music lying around on your computer as it won't be needed anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, what about the 'Consolidate Library' option? I don't know if I should risk it!

ReputationRep:
    Find the songs, drag and drop into itunes.

ReputationRep:
    original message
    No no no! Use itunes to actually organise it! So much better!

1. Open iTunes making sure its "clean"
    2. Edit > Preferences > Advanced Tab
    3. iTunes music folder location > change
    4. Change to where you want it
    5. Tick the Keep itunes music folder organised
    6. Copy/Cut and paste all your music files into this folder, but not as folders, as individual tracks
    7. Select all the tracks in this folder, making sure that they will actually open in itunes (check by selecting one track>right click>properties>opens with>change>itunes)
    8. Press enter, the tracks should come up on itunes and will be sorted into folders according to their artists automatically
    9. Might have to repeat a few times to get all tracks

It works a freaking dream!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.