Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just been offered a job at mcdonalds. I go to my orientation in around 2 weeks... I have a few questions:

- when can i start after my orientation
    - i'm probably going to uni, mid september. Will the manager be angry at me for leaving and thus, will this affect me getting transferred to another mcdonalds in my uni city?
    - How much notice do I need to give? 1 week?
    - Can I ask for extra shifts... i.e. i want to be doing about 45 hours a week. is this possible??

thanks in advance for any help!!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol2003)
    Ask your manager; or hope that someone on here works at McD's and will answer

- i'm probably going to uni, mid september. Will the manager be angry at me for leaving and thus, will this affect me getting transferred to another mcdonalds in my uni city?
    He might have his own problems with running his franchise but I'm sure you'll be able to transfer

Look in your contract, if not, one week.

- Can I ask for extra shifts... i.e. i want to be doing about 45 hours a week. is this possible??
    Ask your manager.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just been offered a job at mcdonalds. I go to my orientation in around 2 weeks... I have a few questions:

xxx
    When i worked there, the shift person gave out a lot of shifts to those people who worked the hardest as there were a lot of employees at the time. However, if you want to work full-time then you should get 45 hours.

ReputationRep:
    As with any summer job, don't even tell them you're leaving until a few weeks before you go. A company like McDonalds basically exploits you anyway. I wouldn't feel bad about deceiving them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying guys... how much notice did you have to give and do you think he's gonna end up angry if i do leave come september.. i don't care that much but i hate letting people down!
    Depends if you want a reference. A large number of people literally just quit and never come back. They won't be angry... probably find a replacement soon enough.

ReputationRep:
    You have a job at McDonalds, you don't need university!

ReputationRep:
    He shouldn't be angry if you get a transfer. It's all the same company, after all.

ReputationRep:
    Well ive just applied for a job at Mcdonalds too, see if i hear back.

I know there is a mcdonalds in my university town which i may be able to transfer, but i share the feelings of accepting the job offer and then a month later pack my bags and leave unless i get trsnfered, assuming i get the job, but im taking nothing for granted at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Also, sorry about the amount of questions... what is the average amount of hours per week for a full time worker at mcdonalds? is it wise to ask for more shifts?

I'm not sure about full-time. However i asked someone who always seemed to be working and they said they did 50 hours a week. You can request for more shifts but it would depend on the amount of workers they have. Also at the induction, you are required to put the days and times you are able to work.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to work 45 hours a week while at uni? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    when can i start after my orientation?
    The following Saturday, generally

i'm probably going to uni, mid september. Will the manager be angry at me for leaving and thus, will this affect me getting transferred to another mcdonalds in my uni city?
    Transfers are handled by HR. Give HR a call rather than handing in your notice, and ask for a transfer. They'll try and sort it out if at all possible.

How much notice do I need to give? 1 week?
    Yep, one week exactly.

Can I ask for extra shifts... i.e. i want to be doing about 45 hours a week. is this possible??
    Down to your store manager and trainer. Chances are you'll start off with limited shifts, because there's a hell of a lot to learn.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can pretty much start whenever you want after your orientation. I did mine on the friday and had my first shift on the tuesday. (that was nearly 18 months ago though).

You can still keep your job at your current mcdonalds and work when you are back home from uni in the holidays. Some people at my mcdonalds do. They should also be able to transfer you to a restaurant near uni. All you need to do is ask.

You can work as many hours as you like. They will ask you before you start how many hours you can work and when you can work. There are plenty of opportunities to work more hours anyway (asking you to come in when they are short staffed/someone phones in sick/there are spare shifts going etc

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry.

Low skilled workers are easily replaceable. It will be a slight inconvenience though.

ReputationRep:
    most people only ever work in mcdonalds for like 2 months.

Just take the job - there is no dilema - unless youve been offered another better job somewhere else

ReputationRep:
    McDonalds is a franchise organisation, so as long as you leave ammicably you would be a favourable candidate when a job is available (always?) in your uni city.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my god, I should've done the same as you. I'm such an IDIOT. I got a call from Debenhams just now but blurted out I'd be going to uni in October, although I'd still be able to transfer. So they said no :sad:. I'm so annoyed with myself!!!!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.