Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Over the past few days there has been much talk about Esther Rantzen (former presenter of many shows on BBC) standing as an MP in the next General Election.

do you think we can trust these celebrities to carry across our views as voters and members of constituencies?

and how do you think their 'fame' will affect the number of votes they receive, especially as they will get a lot more publicity because they are celebrities running for independents rather than those people who have a keen interest and probably know a lot more who are running for similar seats??

News Story

ReputationRep:
    I would love to see Freddy from big brother to run for parliament.. would be funny to see his speeches.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah like Robinson999 has already said, they do particularly well in America. Apparently even Will Smith has expressed his desires to run for presidency in the next elections.
    I think they'll do well here, to be honest everybody's sick and tired of these dumbass politicians we have here. We need a celebrity that will voice the nation's thoughts and not follow politics from the book.
    Just for a laugh, I'd love to see Jeremy Clarkson as prime minister :rofl: Sir Alan Sugar, who is sort of considered to be a 'celebrity' now is involved in politics a little, although not an MP.

Frankie Boyle for PM!

But anyway, who the hell is Esther Rantzen? :lolwut: Celebrity? More like a Z-list nobody.

Tbh, I expected this to be a thread about Jordon or Amy Winehouse running for PM. :rolleyes: If you class them as "celebrities"...

Anyways, tbh, what does she know?! Like I said, she's Z-list and doing it for publicity. Personally, I think that a Sainsburys worker could do better - representing the people in election. I mean, who is she?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand why she's doing it. The Labour MP in question stood down as the candidate for the next election before she was deselected, so she's categorically going. Standing as a protest if she chose to run again would mean something, but this is just odd.

I'm going to assume she doesn't live in Luton either.

ReputationRep:
    to everyone who said they do well in America.. i don't know what news station you are watching but they don't.. at all. For example, California is 24 billion dollars in debt and was (is?) forced to hand out IOU's to cover. While obviously not all blame can be put on the terminator, the thought that they are doing well is ludicrous. Furthermore, the only reason people elect them is because they seem closer, less corrupted by Washington (London for y'all i assume); nonetheless they aren't doing well at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Frankie Boyle for PM!

But anyway, who the hell is Esther Rantzen? :lolwut: Celebrity? More like a Z-list nobody.

HOW can you not know who the rantzen is?!?!?! she founded childline, shes a journalist, tv presenter on topical issus such as still births, drug abuse...has a CBE..

she's an amazing and accomplished woman, i would vote for her if she had policies i'd agree with

(Original post by Subcutaneous)
    HOW can you not know who the rantzen is?!?!?! she founded childline, shes a journalist, tv presenter on topical issus such as still births, drug abuse...has a CBE..
    what? I NEVER heard of her honestly, never heard of her...

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy Clarkson would be a great MP! :rolleyes:

No wait...forget MP..."Clarkson for Prime Minister" woohoo!!

His legislative decisions would be awesome...No speed cameras, no congestion charge, no speed limits, no road tax, no parking fees etc. (as you can tell i've just passed and i'm a victim to most of these :o: )

Just imagine him at the house of parliament with his six-pack of Carling's lager....or when when he's doing a press conference and at the opposition he decides to > :mfing:

Sure he may not be the most qualified, mannered or productive of candidates, but when it comes to public welfare his interest will be at the heart of our problems

(note: i'd give it about 2 weeks before he gets the boot, but 1 week till the rioting starts - but it will be worth witnessing his policies and reforms etc.) :top:

ReputationRep:
    what? I NEVER heard of her honestly, never heard of her...

you're either really young or have lived under a rock..

she's one of my female heros, her work for child protection and campaigning for better hospice care is inspiring

ReputationRep:
    She's a TV Living Room Legend from the 1980s - remember that she was a telly superstar at the time when we only had 4 channels and no internet...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniel_williams)
    Over the past few days there has been much talk about Esther Rantzen (former presenter of many shows on BBC) standing as an MP in the next General Election.

do you think we can trust these celebrities to carry across our views as voters and members of constituencies?

and how do you think their 'fame' will affect the number of votes they receive, especially as they will get a lot more publicity because they are celebrities running for independents rather than those people who have a keen interest and probably know a lot more who are running for similar seats??

News Story
    yes I do, however if said celebrity does it for their own benefit then they should not be allowed to stand.

ReputationRep:
    If they know what they are doing then fair enough but if they just get in because of the backlash against the way things are atm and their fame then I'm not keen on the idea :nah:

ReputationRep:
    Frankie Boyle for PM!

Tbh, I expected this to be a thread about Jordon or Amy Winehouse running for PM. :rolleyes: If you class them as "celebrities"...

Anyways, tbh, what does she know?! Like I said, she's Z-list and doing it for publicity. Personally, I think that a Sainsburys worker could do better - representing the people in election. I mean, who is she?
    Yeah, Profesh for PM.

ReputationRep:
    Why the **** would she be better than an accomplished MP?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team

she's an amazing and accomplished woman, i would vote for her if she had policies i'd agree with
    I think it could be an age thing. She's not been in the public eye much these last few years as much as she was, so it's very likely that many young people haven't heard of her (although, it's clear some will have, just not as many as would have in the past).

But I agree with you that she's done some great things. I'm not sure what she'll be standing on at the election, but I know that if I agreed with her ideas then I'd have no problem voting for her. I'm sure she'd make a great PM, fightin for what her consituents want and standing up for what she believes in.

On the topic of celebrities as MPs - I've no problem if they are standing for a real reason and to make a difference. What I don't like is the idea of a celebrity standing because they are a celebrity. Worst still is fit a political party tries to bring in celebrities to boost their chances or make them seem more popular (as the Tories seem to have done - I've got some z-liat dodgy ex-doctor/tv presenter in my consituency for the Tories at the next election, for example).

ReputationRep:
    Fame is an interesting word to use. Politically I'd be inclined to use the term name recognition. You can't buy that kind of weapon if you're cynical enough to select a seat with a *******ised incumbent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RK)
    I think it could be an age thing. She's not been in the public eye much these last few years as much as she was, so it's very likely that many young people haven't heard of her (although, it's clear some will have, just not as many as would have in the past).

im not that old:hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    celebrities as MP's what?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    im not that old:hmmm:
    I thought you were 100??

But seriously, that's why I said some will have, but many people your age or younger may not have heard of her

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.