Turn on thread page Beta

Do you tone down the PDA with your partner when amongst friends? watch

Announcements

I know how rubbish it can be when you are single and your friends are being all touchy-feely with their boyfriends in front of you.

I spoke to my boyfriend about how I didn't want to alienate my friends when we go out together, as he often holds my hand and pulls me away to places, or starts kissing/cuddling me. I'd rather we show little or no displays of public affection when we are with my friends. He said I worry too much about what other people think.

Is he right? Or should we tone down our behavior in front of my friends? What do you do? What do you think of couples who are like that in public?

ReputationRep:
    Pda?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's up to you. Personally, I'm not a fan of PDA, but small things like resting your hand on them, leaning against them and stuff is hardly going to aggravate your mates. Besides, it's the small things that really mean something, not the sloppy kisses in a darkened corner.

ReputationRep:
    Your boyfriend should definitely tone it down. Is he not embarrassed to behave like that in public?
    If you're out with your friends, that's totally inappropriate, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    OP means public display of affection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jasper.Paterson)
    Pda?
    Public displays of affection i.e kissing , cuddling etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    I think it's up to you. Personally, I'm not a fan of PDA, but small things like resting your hand on them, leaning against them and stuff is hardly going to aggravate your mates. Besides, it's the small things that really mean something, not the sloppy kisses in a darkened corner.
    I agree with this. I don't mind the holding hands or light touching, but not big displays. I wouldn't want to see it so don't I do it myself.

ReputationRep:
    Tone it down. It is SO embarassing for the friends you're with.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, I hold hands with my boyfriend all the time anyway. With friends we don't keep to ourselves and ignore everyone else, but there's the odd hug and little kiss here and there.

ReputationRep:
    Holding hands, little ocassional kisses on the cheek and arms round each other are fine. Kissing for extended periods, sitting in an overly cuddled way, or tickling (two of my friends do this ALL the time, in appropriate places) is not good. I was serving a woman the other day at work and her husband came up behind her and just put his arms around her, tickling her and trying to kiss her lots. It isn't a nice thing to do, and it's quite sickening. Besides, it's nicer in private anyway

ReputationRep:
    I wish my friend would have with her last boyfriend.. I felt so uncomfortable, I just always left the room and left them to it.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think that the odd little hand hold or peck is ok. Constant kissing/cuddling can be a bit cringey, and anything overtly sexual or OTT is just bleurgh.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest if i'm out with my friends and their boy/girlfriends i feel very awkward if they start doing that, especially if im the only single one there.

ReputationRep:
    I think it gets a bit uncomfortable to watch. Especially when you're having a conversation, a short silence falls, you turn away, remember to say something and half-way your sentence realise that your friends don't care and are passionately making out/fondling. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackey)
    I think it gets a bit uncomfortable to watch. Especially when you're having a conversation, a short silence falls, you turn away, remember to say something and half-way your sentence realise that your friends don't care and are passionately making out/fondling. :rolleyes:

That was a frequent occurrance for the last 7 months, before they split. Obviously I was the single one, and surely you'd be embarassed making out in front of your friends?

YES! This has happened to me on so many occasions!!

ReputationRep:

:yes: Oh yes, I've experienced this as well.

Holding hands, cuddling to an extent (as in more friendly hugs, not standing there for ages just doing that), leaning on each other etc is ok, but sucking each others faces off every 5 seconds and constant touching is too far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_1)
    That was a frequent occurrance for the last 7 months, before they split. Obviously I was the single one, and surely you'd be embarassed making out in front of your friends?
    Sadly not everyone's got a particularly high EQ. I had a one off (am single) and made out with a guy in public. It was probably one of the most embarassing things ever. Actually, come to think of it, it's more cringe-worthy when someone enjoys watching others make out.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it. Up to you. People would only feel really bad about it if they fancied one of you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.