Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Belles_x)
    Just a question to all fo thsoe who attend drama schools, do you think there are any down side, in comparison to goign to university i mean. Whats the social life side like, plus often having to go into rented accomodation. My dearest mother, worrys that if i was to study in london i would be missing out from the university experience and it can often be lonely. What do you think? x
    Yeah the University experience is got at Drama School.
    In fact I think you experience it much more intensely at Drama School.

As much as I don't really value the University Experience as I do all the things I would be doing living away from home as I live at home anyways (e.g. pay bills [my contribution to family costs (rent), electric and water], cook for myself, clean for myself, manage my time and travel) and I go out socially as any other university student does.

All the people on my course (who live in london in rented accommodation) would agree that you live the 'university experience' much more intensely at drama school. You are not spoon fed for the first year (like you are in halls accommodation), you are more tightly knit and no one at University has as vibrant a social life as a Drama School student in London.

We work hard, we PLAY hard. That's a fact

So tell her not to worry !

ReputationRep:
    I wish i had found you lot sooner, so helpful.
    Another question, surprise surprise, I'm looking into technical theatre/stage management, i've researched the mountview course and that sounds fantastic, can anyone direct me to other similiar, broad sorts of courses? x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just a question to all fo thsoe who attend drama schools, do you think there are any down side, in comparison to goign to university i mean. Whats the social life side like, plus often having to go into rented accomodation. My dearest mother, worrys that if i was to study in london i would be missing out from the university experience and it can often be lonely. What do you think? x
    i think there are not many down sides. i guess one thing ive noticed is that you grow up much quicker and have to be mature and "adult" asap to get used to the way of life. London is definitely an adult's environment and busines and harsh realities are ever present here. I dont kow if its a good thing or a bad thing, but i suppose if you want to spend some more time dosing about, having a laugh, winging your degree then drama school ois not for you. Also, competitive streaks and *****iness run high here, as everyone is aiming for the same industry and therefore job competition is rife.
    accomodation isnt really a problem, if anything i think its great to start off straight away into rented accom- its sooooo much freedom and learning skills. sure, tehre are bills etc but honestly if it wasn't possible then thousands of drama school students wouldnt already have done it before us.
    another possible bad side is that things become a bit "too theatrical". if that makes sense. i mean things can be very insular and sometimes you forget there are more aspects to life and the world and are in a little performing bubble. as long as you stay realistic and down to earth it shouldnt be a problem. oh and also- some people believe their own hype- especially the actors!

ReputationRep:
    Another question, surprise surprise, I'm looking into technical theatre/stage management, i've researched the mountview course and that sounds fantastic, can anyone direct me to other similiar, broad sorts of courses? x
    http://sites.stocksphere.com/cds/search.asp

Look on here for Stage Management and Technical Theatre courses - they'll all be broad. I'm at LAMDA so can answer any LAMDA questions. Talk to any professional stage managers if you can to see which courses are particularly respected, I know there are a few favourites on the list.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to know anymore about the MV course then I can help
    Otherwise I'd follow Melana's link and you will find many a course.

Just for an example though:

If you want a BA(hons) then look at:
    Central School of Speech and Drama (CSSD)
    Guildhall
    RADA
    Guildford
    Bristol Old Vic

If you want a Diploma (or whatever they are called now... foundation degree?) then definately look at RADA and LAMDA

~James
    xoxox

ReputationRep:
    Hey gang, I got a recall at LAMDA's final round, no second-first round nonsense, the last round is in April.. (Old Posh Voice) I'm do say I'm doing quite well, wouldn't you say??

Central, Will be a test for me... although im a good actor, they have forced me to pick speeches that aren't so natural to me... so hopefully they will see my potential even if my speeches aren't as strong as my mains (they should be though !) .

ReputationRep:
    I was accepted at LAMDA last year but I turned it down to travel with my boyfriend Dean (Australian)

ReputationRep:
    Got an audition at Central (eek) & Bournemouth ()for the Acting course. Got a few weeks to prepare which is good. Now just need to find some good monolouges to use.

ReputationRep:
    Central was ACE
    Up there with RSAMD I would say...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philmyer92)
    Got my interview tomorrow for Production lighting at central I'm not at all prepared so i hope my "winging it" skills are up to scratch. Any advice for me?
    I was there Yesterday too

What did you think?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I've only just had my UCAS application sent in this week because my school are really slow but i'm hoping to get an interview for SM at Central. Does anyone know what you have to put in your portfolio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    Central was ACE
    Up there with RSAMD I would say...
    It is. ^^ How was your interview going? I was in the canteen with some applicants and had my breakfast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniferRebecca)
    It is. ^^ How was your interview going? I was in the canteen with some applicants and had my breakfast.
    I think it was good
    I was SO nervous. Felt sick with them...
    And I forgot the word "compromise" in my interview... So sat there like a fool for about 5 minutes just going "Co... Co..." Trying to remember the word... lol
    But at the end they seemed positive said "I think we've heard everythng we need to hear" with a smiley tone, if you get me... So I think it's positive

Find out in January

Central is amazing though! The building is incredible! It's like a rabbit warren! So many stairs and corridors!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, that's good! :-) Is Central your 1st choice btw.?
    Oh and where did you have your interview in the end? The New Studio, where mine was last year, was apparently occupied by the TPMs and Prod LX.

Yes, but... I was at RADA today, because of their Technical Theatre Exhibition and I've been there for an acting workshop as well - they have 2 different buildings as well and I thought of them as confusing as Centrals. Maybe to keep the people out ...or in. :-D
    Though I prefer Central, as it has much more light, especially in the autrium and isn't as narrow. And the designers got a roof terrasse at Central - with a pink swing and fake grass, lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by that_diesel)
    I was accepted at LAMDA last year but I turned it down to travel with my boyfriend Dean (Australian)
    on the acting course ? and you turned it down ?:eek: , guess I'd only turn them down if i got offers from guildhall or rada!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    central's rooftop garden is amazing. we have the Jerry springer the opera swing and mushroom bins haha.

ReputationRep:
    Me again..For those who were interviewed for technical courses and were sucessful, what sort of stuff would you recommend for putting in your portfolios? x

ReputationRep:
    My portfolio had all my theatre related experience in it, i.e a page for working in one, a page per production i'd worked on, a page for work experience, etc etc. I included photos, and a bit on what I'd learnt from it, and why it would make me suitable for the course. You could include programmes, photos of props you've made, sets you've built etc. I would definitely do a portfolio (and start right now) even if they don't ask for it. I got offers from both the places I applied, even though only LAMDA asked for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniferRebecca)
    http://palmerslodge.co.uk/index.htm

Been there twice, rooms were clean, breakfast okay, people friendly, dorm room quiet. Would recommend it, especially as it's only 5 minutes walking distance away from Central, so you won't have any stress with traffic or public transport.
    If you go in a bigger dorm, it's about £13 a night.

Ah, I need to organise a placement for easter holidays! I feel as nervous as when I had my interview, lol!
    Wish you both good luck, I fly home on the 14th.

@Mazzia
    I wrote mine about Oedipus, which I saw in November 2008. I wrote about 100 words that the actors were fine and the adaption ...not so good and 400 words about how much I wanted to run on stage and touch the huge gate, as it looked so amazing and that I'm jealous that the actors had the possibility of being around that almost every evening and I not.
    I also put some essays in, even though they were in another language than English, because, I applied directly from college and had NO theatrical experience at all, so I hoped, they would at least see, that I know some theatre plays in an academic way. I honestly just put everything in about 4 portfolios and folders I could possibly find and thought were HE level.

Thanks for the advice, i was too scared to share a room but i did find a hotel room in the end :]

Any1auditioned at central school of speech and drama for Acting course before?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just putting my portfolio together (a bit last minute I know, but better late than never.)

Is it worth putting in information about shows I've recently acted in as well? Obviously it's not as important as the information about the shows I've worked backstage on, but I really wasn't sure whether to include my small amount of acting stuff as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.