Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zosie)
    I'm just putting my portfolio together (a bit last minute I know, but better late than never.)

Is it worth putting in information about shows I've recently acted in as well? Obviously it's not as important as the information about the shows I've worked backstage on, but I really wasn't sure whether to include my small amount of acting stuff as well.
    Put it in I'd say.
    Central only ask you to talk about one thing in your portfolio, so you wont be able to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    RSAMD have received my application and will be sending me an audition date soon!
    WELL HAPPY

ReputationRep:
    Got an interview at Central for BA Hons Stage Management/Scenic Arts on 6th Jan! I'm bricking it a bit about the task with the pictures/ the bring an item task they have given me though, does anybody have any information? It'd be really helpful as I'm not entirely sure what to look for at the minute D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    Hey gang, I got a recall at LAMDA's final round, no second-first round nonsense, the last round is in April.. (Old Posh Voice) I'm do say I'm doing quite well, wouldn't you say??

Central, Will be a test for me... although im a good actor, they have forced me to pick speeches that aren't so natural to me... so hopefully they will see my potential even if my speeches aren't as strong as my mains (they should be though !) .
    Congratulations on your recalls! You have done top old chap. :]
    Any tips for LAMDA? Mines the 30th Jan. You are abit older than me do you think im at a dissadvantage drama-school wise? my friend who started drama school this year is 20. I'm 18 I had a year of A levels before i changed to performing arts btec nd which is amazing.
    Also are you a singer? i'm curious about the singing levels of aplicants for guildhall (mines 7th Jan) and Central (22nd Dec). I love singing but i know i'm not especially talented, i got distinction at grade 5, do you think its a huge part of their decision process?
    Can you tell i'm panking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joypire)
    Congratulations on your recalls! You have done top old chap. :]
    Any tips for LAMDA? Mines the 30th Jan. You are abit older than me do you think im at a dissadvantage drama-school wise? my friend who started drama school this year is 20. I'm 18 I had a year of A levels before i changed to performing arts btec nd which is amazing.
    Also are you a singer? i'm curious about the singing levels of aplicants for guildhall (mines 7th Jan) and Central (22nd Dec). I love singing but i know i'm not especially talented, i got distinction at grade 5, do you think its a huge part of their decision process?
    Can you tell i'm panking?
    LOL, no im not a singer & Guildhall (I do know, guildhall out of all schools do a lot of singing, though) re-directed me 5 times on my song & i was worried i would not get a recall cos of it, but they only recalled me on that day, so it's really the acting they care about I think - they just want to see if you have the balls to do the singing and can bring the acting out of it, guildhall are so nice at their audition - love them!

LAMDA are the opposite of Guildhall, you will probably feel like they don't care/ like you, especially if you are young - the thing is you gotta to approach them, really direct & confident and nerve free! they seem to like that, regardless of age if you give them a blinding audition, you still have a good chance.
    And the panels don't interview you, the students will and it will feels the interview is laid back and doesn't matter, IT DOES! - it's a trick.
    Good luck with LAMDA, I'd say if you can get through in one piece - you'll be confident elsewhere because I'd say non of the other top schools are as direct as them.

The biggest annoying thing about LAMDA is you have to wait 2-3 weeks before you hear from them & they can either
    Reject you
    Recall - Second-First round
    Recall - Workshop/Final

On singing, Don't sing something that is too difficult even if you love it, just tell the story through the song they don't really care about your singing, trust me... look at a song with imagery, don't worry about singing at all, leave all the worry to your speeches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wastedxtime)
    Got an interview at Central for BA Hons Stage Management/Scenic Arts on 6th Jan! I'm bricking it a bit about the task with the pictures/ the bring an item task they have given me though, does anybody have any information? It'd be really helpful as I'm not entirely sure what to look for at the minute D:
    The weirder the pictures the better I'd say.

It's just to make an artsy installation anyway.
    You get into groups of about 5 and pool all your images to create a story of 4 images (or this is what we did lol!) Then you put them up somewhere in the room.

Just pick pictures that interest you. Stuff you like. As different from each other as possible. Makes it more interesting as you have to go fresh into the task without any ideas.

I took 4 images (my letter just said images...)
    one was Leonardo DaVinci and Verrochio's Annunciation
    another was the Hubble Ultra Deep Field Image
    another was of two people kissing taken by Henri cartier Bresson
    and my last one was of bodies at Bergen Belsen being bulldozed into a mass grave.

It's the easiest, most chilled out part of the day

ReputationRep:
    LOL, no im not a singer & Guildhall (I do know, guildhall out of all schools do a lot of singing, though) re-directed me 5 times on my song & i was worried i would not get a recall cos of it, but they only recalled me on that day, so it's really the acting they care about I think - they just want to see if you have the balls to do the singing and can bring the acting out of it, guildhall are so nice at their audition - love them!

LAMDA are the opposite of Guildhall, you will probably feel like they don't care/ like you, especially if you are young - the thing is you gotta to approach them, really direct & confident and nerve free! they seem to like that, regardless of age if you give them a blinding audition, you still have a good chance.
    And the panels don't interview you, the students will and it will feels the interview is laid back and doesn't matter, IT DOES! - it's a trick.
    Good luck with LAMDA, I'd say if you can get through in one piece - you'll be confident elsewhere because I'd say non of the other top schools are as direct as them.

The biggest annoying thing about LAMDA is you have to wait 2-3 weeks before you hear from them & they can either
    Reject you
    Recall - Second-First round
    Recall - Workshop/Final

On singing, Don't sing something that is too difficult even if you love it, just tell the story through the song they don't really care about your singing, trust me... look at a song with imagery, don't worry about singing at all, leave all the worry to your speeches.

Thankyou i've been wanting to ask someone about it for ages ! :xmasgrin: I'll show them at LAMDA lol. When you went was everyone around your age? Where abouts are you from. I'm from manchester. Have you taken a gap year since college?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much! It sounds so much easier now haha, i think i know what i'm doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wastedxtime)
    Thanks so much! It sounds so much easier now haha, i think i know what i'm doing

No Problemo

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou i've been wanting to ask someone about it for ages ! :xmasgrin: I'll show them at LAMDA lol. When you went was everyone around your age? Where abouts are you from. I'm from manchester. Have you taken a gap year since college?
    I don't know I'd say everyone I auditioned at guildhall, there one guy that was 31 most seemed my age or younger, LAMDA I don't really know again it just varies...

This is my third gap year, one of those years was in Los Angeles, One In London (auditioned at RADA & Guildhall - Failed) and this my third and hopefully last! Uni life isn't for me.

ReputationRep:
    The LAMDA actors are younger than I expected, going by the current third years on the 3 year course, I'd say a good half are straight out of school, bout a 1/4 had already got degrees and another 1/4 had gap years or were a good 5+ years out of uni.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know I'd say everyone I auditioned at guildhall, there one guy that was 31 most seemed my age or younger, LAMDA I don't really know again it just varies...

This is my third gap year, one of those years was in Los Angeles, One In London (auditioned at RADA & Guildhall - Failed) and this my third and hopefully last! Uni life isn't for me.
    Wow what did you do in LA? I'm desperate to live in London! I hope you are scsessful in your recalls, the fact yu already have 2 says something! I have Middlesex uni as my back up stll in London with a really good theatre arts course & my fave teacher went there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melana)
    The LAMDA actors are younger than I expected, going by the current third years on the 3 year course, I'd say a good half are straight out of uni, bout a 1/4 had already got degrees and another 1/4 had gap years or were a good 5+ years out of uni.
    EEK none outa college 18/19? :[
    Well i know its a long shot but at least i wont regret not giving myself the oppertunity.

ReputationRep:
    I had my central interview for DATE on Monday 14th Dec and it was lovely
    the tutors who interviewed me were so nice, and after talking to a few of the current students about living in London and what its like, all my fears have completely vanished! Before i liked it but I couldnt imagine myself living in London, but i went down from Harrogate for 3 days by myself and by the end of it (having actually mastered the tube!) I felt so comfortable there.
    I also had a lovely suprise because a guy i met at my Leeds - Theatre & Performance course was there! and a girl i auditioned for Les Mis with in york!so we all went for dinner after (and saw the actors going in to the premier of sherlock holmes!) overall an AWESOME day (oh and i saw Les Mis after so it pretty much was the best day EVER)

Now I just have to wait to hear. Apparantly some people have heard 2 days fafter the interview if they have an offer!!! so im franticly checking emails at the moment!

sorry about the ramble, you can probably tell it was quite exciting for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    Put it in I'd say.
    Central only ask you to talk about one thing in your portfolio, so you wont be able to talk about it.
    Thanks for replying I kind of guessed they'd only ask me about one thing, since I've only had time to talk about one thing at my other interviews, but it's good to know for certain.

I'm just putting together the last few things for my Central interview tomorrow. I'm really worried about it, despite knowing that if they didn't want me to go there they wouldn't have invited me to an interview.

ReputationRep:
    EEK none outa college 18/19? :[
    Well i know its a long shot but at least i wont regret not giving myself the oppertunity.
    Sorry, typo, I meant straight out of school, yeah. Don't worry

ReputationRep:
    =] thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03lawrel)
    I had my central interview for DATE on Monday 14th Dec and it was lovely
    the tutors who interviewed me were so nice, and after talking to a few of the current students about living in London and what its like, all my fears have completely vanished! Before i liked it but I couldnt imagine myself living in London, but i went down from Harrogate for 3 days by myself and by the end of it (having actually mastered the tube!) I felt so comfortable there.
    I also had a lovely suprise because a guy i met at my Leeds - Theatre & Performance course was there! and a girl i auditioned for Les Mis with in york!so we all went for dinner after (and saw the actors going in to the premier of sherlock holmes!) overall an AWESOME day (oh and i saw Les Mis after so it pretty much was the best day EVER)

Now I just have to wait to hear. Apparantly some people have heard 2 days fafter the interview if they have an offer!!! so im franticly checking emails at the moment!

sorry about the ramble, you can probably tell it was quite exciting for me
    Wow sound like it went well! How big were the groups you auditioned in? Were there alot of experienced singers? xx

ReputationRep:
    I got recalled at Central school of speech and drama! & Completed the second round successfully - Now I'll just have to wait to see if i will be at the final round or not.

I have to say out of all auditions I've done, Central is definitely the most physically and mentally exhausting one.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    somebody's been copy+pasting :awesome:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.