Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryFlip)
    I have my interview at Royal Holloway on the 20th, and Theatre Practice interview at Central on Thursday (21st). I'm almost ready I think, have to decide on one more picture and finish my essay and portfolio, then I'm ready to go! One thing that is worrying me slightly (and this is going to sound incredibly girly) but I'm not sure what to wear! Hear me out...all my auditions last year were either acting (so trackie bottoms, dance wear ect) or straightforward inteviews (skirts, formal stuff) not workshop/interview situations. Obviously there's the 'not too revealing' rule which I follow anyway, but can people who have auditioned give me a rough idea? I want to be able to move if needs be (how physical is the workshop?) but also not appear too casual....I'm such a girl I know, but I'm also very good at worrying about tiny details. Evidently!
    Im guessing it's Theatre Practice Performance Arts, if so, anything goes. No workshops or anything physical, so you can wear whatever.
    RoHo is also pretty casual. Like Ldip says, people wear jeans and t-shirt. (I applied for there last year :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ldip)
    Ahhhh, pressure aha. so for most of it you're in pretty small groups? not feeling the not very nice interviewer. aha. do you know how much of it is based on the interview and how much on your application?? and how long did it take you to hear you'd got in? getting quite close now!! i wont bore you with questions about the course as i will see that on the day, but the website makes it look pretty practical? is that right?

Thankyouu massive help
    I would guess its mostly based on your application as two of the people i know who got in misunderstood a question. And when we arrived they told us that we'd already jumped through lots of hoops we werent even aware of - and not everyone will get through to interview.
    mostly i'd suggest - know your stuff about what you said in your personal statement, especially if you mentioned any specific plays, practitioners or things like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maynon)
    Regarding the Central course, I've never done any Applied or Community theatre! How did anyone applying for this course become interested in it? Have you all done similar things like it before? I feel terribly out of my depth :P
    I have quite a lot of experience in applied/community theatre, I did a two week tour around yorkshire primary schools as part of a cast of 10 students (organised by my incredible drama teacher), I am a workshop leader/assistant at Harrogate Youth Theatre, I helped lead year 7 & 8 drama clubs at school and Ive been a leader at a kids club for 3 years.
    Saying that - I know thats more than most people have and i really got interested in applied theatre because of the kids club, when i started merging my own interest in drama with it and leading workshops with the kids about physical theatre. I had my interview in December, and got an offer of BBB, my two flat-mates to be who i spent a lot of time wioth at the interview had a lot less applied theatre experience, but if you have anything remotely educational that you've done involving drama it will help you a lot.

I dont think they expect you to be ultra-experienced but they do expect you to talk about it in the interview, one guy in my interview talked only about stage experience and how acting was educational despite the fact most of the questions were about applied theatre, and the interviewer actually stopped him and told him to answer about applied theatre - so even if you have limited experience, talk passionately about it and about wanting to get more oppertunities which central can offer you.

to be honest, if they thought you were completely unsuitable they wouldnt invite you to interview so you've probably already ticked boxes for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03lawrel)
    I would guess its mostly based on your application as two of the people i know who got in misunderstood a question. And when we arrived they told us that we'd already jumped through lots of hoops we werent even aware of - and not everyone will get through to interview.
    mostly i'd suggest - know your stuff about what you said in your personal statement, especially if you mentioned any specific plays, practitioners or things like that
    cheers!! i think my ps was pretty vague but i will look over it and brush up and individual stuff. what time did it finish?? just for booking trains! thank youu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbricknell)
    I have my Central interview next week for the DATE course.....anyone got any advice???
    I DO! I DO!
    I've talked about my Central interview quite a few times on this forum, so i hope its alright but ive copied and pasted something i said earlier.

hey! i believe i may be of some assistance reguarding the DATE interview as i did it less than a month ago (anf got an offer yay!)

There was a course overview first. The improvisation session is more a couple of drama games lead by the students to get you relaxed and enjoying yourself before your interview, dont worry about it at all as its lead by the current students while the tutors read your piece of written work. It was really fun, so enjoy it
    Then you get taken on a tour of the school (much more detailed than open days if you've already visited) i'd suggest taking this chance to ask any questions you have to the student taking you round because they are LOVELY, and really helped me realise it was a perfect place for me - ask about everything you can think of - living in london, course details, social life ect...they can give you great first hand opinions!

Then you have a group interview (with the 3 other people you went of the tour with) most of the questions are similar to the one they send you in the email, just listen to the other peoples answers and sorta bounce off them (they like that) they didnt actually ask me for my portfolio but i was given the great advice (from a lovely current student on the course here at TSR) to include certificates, photos and details from any experiences you have with applied theatre ect.
    Something else i'd suggest - it sounds obvious but one guy in my interview had obviously missed this - make sure you talk about APPLIED THEATRE, he kept talking just about plays and acting and the stage to the point he was asked by one of the interviewers to make sure he talked about the right thing! Mostly - dont worry about this bit, i was terrified but just be positive and passionate they were really really nice interviewers

then finally we finished the tour and went back to the room we did the impro session in and there were drinks and things and you could leave when you want to i'd stick around and chat to the current students for a bit - they were so incredibly nice and answered all sorts of questions, i asked about things like what they wanted to go on and do, what their accomodation was like, how much they paid in transport - it helps to know sometimes

okay now that ive BOMBARDED you with that essay about it i hope ive covered it all, if you have any other questions just ask!
    Most of all - just enjoy the day i had an incredible time and made a great bunch of friends (who agreed to become flatmates if we all got in - did) and actually went out for a meal with them after!
    hope that helped!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

has anyone had a recall at BSA and heard back yet? I had one there the other week, but I didn't know how long they took to reply.. long wait good or bad..?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke2008)
    I'm doing

LIPA Audition - next month
    East 15 - next month
    Man Met - next month
    Birmingham School of Acting (Unconditional)

Out of your choices
    hey, how long did it take BSA to get back to you after your recall? and are you applying for acting? or one of their other courses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    Hi!

Just wondering how long after your interview it took for you to find out that you had a place at Central.

Me and this other lad from my interview day are getting all nervous about it, cos it's been over a month :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    Hi!

Just wondering how long after your interview it took for you to find out that you had a place at Central.

Me and this other lad from my interview day are getting all nervous about it, cos it's been over a month :P
    i had my interview on december 6th, got offer on january 14th. tbh no news is good news. if they didnt want you by now they wou;ld have rejected you straight off, but theyre taking their time so are probs mulling it over a bit more (plus its avery busy time of year for our course! and the course leader is ill)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    i had my interview on december 6th, got offer on january 14th. tbh no news is good news. if they didnt want you by now they wou;ld have rejected you straight off, but theyre taking their time so are probs mulling it over a bit more (plus its avery busy time of year for our course! and the course leader is ill)
    Cool stuff!

Reassuring to know that Thanks :thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Just had the most AMAZING day! Got a recall for GSA and was offered a place at ALRA! I'm so excited!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by luke2008
    I'm doing

LIPA Audition - next month
    East 15 - next month
    Man Met - next month
    Birmingham School of Acting (Unconditional)

Out of your choices
    hey, how long did it take BSA to get back to you after your recall? and are you applying for acting? or one of their other courses?
    14 Days...they prefer to leave it longer than shorter...knew a couple of people who went for it last year...and I went for the community theatre one there....auditioned on a friday...found out by letter the next tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squirrelkid)
    Just had the most AMAZING day! Got a recall for GSA and was offered a place at ALRA! I'm so excited!!!!
    Wow!!

Well Done

That's awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luke2008)
    14 Days...they prefer to leave it longer than shorter...knew a couple of people who went for it last year...and I went for the community theatre one there....auditioned on a friday...found out by letter the next tuesday.
    Thanks, ahh, well done by the way!

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to 2 drama schools and 2 unis
    LIPA - Performing Arts (Acting)
    Rose Bruford - Actor Musicianship
    University of Central Lancashire - Music Theatre
    Canterburt Christ Church (University Centre Folkestone) - Performing Arts

I had my first audition at Folkestone on 11th January. I was so nervous!! Got no sleep the two nights before. After the audition, I had an interview, in which they offered me a place on the spot!!!!!!! And that just doesn't happen!!!!!!!! It's CC with one in theatre studies.

I have my next interview next wednesday at Central Lancashire.

Oh, and I haven't heard from LIPA or Rose Bruford, but I know Rose Bruford give everyone who applies an audition. We'll see I guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yvaiine)
    I've applied to 2 drama schools and 2 unis
    LIPA - Performing Arts (Acting)
    Rose Bruford - Actor Musicianship
    University of Central Lancashire - Music Theatre
    Canterburt Christ Church (University Centre Folkestone) - Performing Arts

I had my first audition at Folkestone on 11th January. I was so nervous!! Got no sleep the two nights before. After the audition, I had an interview, in which they offered me a place on the spot!!!!!!! And that just doesn't happen!!!!!!!! It's CC with one in theatre studies.

I have my next interview next wednesday at Central Lancashire.

Oh, and I haven't heard from LIPA or Rose Bruford, but I know Rose Bruford give everyone who applies an audition. We'll see I guess
    Wow! Folkestone must have really liked you

Good luck with LIPA and Rose Bruford!

ReputationRep:
    to the person who left me that rep about my third round rejection at central, Jealousy is a diease that infects the body and the mind and can lead to distress for the person feeling it.

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    to the person who left me that rep about my third round rejection at central, Jealousy is a diease that infects the body and the mind and can lead to distress for the person feeling it.

That is all.
    Someone negrepped you?

Mature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03lawrel)
    I have quite a lot of experience in applied/community theatre, I did a two week tour around yorkshire primary schools as part of a cast of 10 students (organised by my incredible drama teacher), I am a workshop leader/assistant at Harrogate Youth Theatre, I helped lead year 7 & 8 drama clubs at school and Ive been a leader at a kids club for 3 years.
    Saying that - I know thats more than most people have and i really got interested in applied theatre because of the kids club, when i started merging my own interest in drama with it and leading workshops with the kids about physical theatre. I had my interview in December, and got an offer of BBB, my two flat-mates to be who i spent a lot of time wioth at the interview had a lot less applied theatre experience, but if you have anything remotely educational that you've done involving drama it will help you a lot.

I dont think they expect you to be ultra-experienced but they do expect you to talk about it in the interview, one guy in my interview talked only about stage experience and how acting was educational despite the fact most of the questions were about applied theatre, and the interviewer actually stopped him and told him to answer about applied theatre - so even if you have limited experience, talk passionately about it and about wanting to get more oppertunities which central can offer you.

to be honest, if they thought you were completely unsuitable they wouldnt invite you to interview so you've probably already ticked boxes for them
    Thank you! Very useful, you're like a treasure trove of information on drama schools. Still scared. But I've got a date now, at least. Thanks for your post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    I took Performing Arts for AS in my second year.In my first year I took photography AS.

God! I don't know how I coped with French! I just muddled along!
    It was different for us, we had coursework to do too... It was a nightmare...
    I got an A though... Proper don't know how I managed that... I never revised my vocab, never learned my tenses or anything....
    Gosh, I wish I had coursework! French exams are petrifying! Quite literally in the oral :P AND you got an A? With no revision? You're obviously some form of genius :yep: How're your applications going?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.