Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    the latter, very much so. the amount of times i've been asked to draw things and when i complain at my lack of drawing skills they go "it's not about whether you can draw! it's about what you draw and why!". and since a lot of the class comes straight from sixth form, it'd be a bit unfair to expect them to have formal training. there are people on my course who want to direct, perform, write, produce, cast, puppeteer, make films, do photography and a miz of everything inbetween. it's very interdisciplinary and almost avant-garde (but dont let that put you off- i think it's better to learn as much about all forms of performance rather than the traditional classics like shakespeare and pros-arch theatre.) i myself am a big fan of commercial theatre and although the school is very experimental (which im grateful for) i have also been given the opportunity to do that, as well explore areas i would never have considered (site-specific burlesque? yep been there, done that!). pretty much whatever you wanna do, you can do

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that does sound very exciting! :P I'm glad of that. I'm not adverse to hard rote study but I'm more interested in exploring the human condition, and as that does not have a regular form i dont want to be constricted by narrow minded traditionalism.

I will have a look at this course of yours, if they dont think im suited to the directing course they might think broader freedom might suit me. :P i know most uni's have more flexibility than they let on.

For some reason its just the only place i really want to go, im not entirely sure why

Do you collaborate much between courses? This was not made fully clear from my research and it would be a big Tick Tick Tick if you did. thanks for your replys, very fast...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yup you will work mostly with the designers (lighting, sound, set and costume). and on projects you will work with the whole motley crew of techies, designers and constructors. you ont work with the actors so much, but tnat doesnt matter anyway as people on my course are the ones seen as the "performers".

ReputationRep:
    That's good, I know it would be a massssive favour, but if you have any friends on the dorecting course could you maybe, perchance, please.. Ask what form the initial audition is in, if it's a formal test with questions or more discussion based I would be very greatful =D
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    it isn't a directing course. there is no directing course at central at undergrad level... it's called performance arts. what directing course are you referring to?

ReputationRep:
    See this is where i might have confused you. Refering to Central, i mean Central st martins, or Drama Centre or uni of the arts london. I wasnt sure 'central' was the same place but as i put st martins in my original post i thought it must be right. .. and at Central st martins there is a BA Directing course.

http://www.csm.arts.ac.uk/courses/un.../directing.htm
    :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
    im on about central school of speech and drama.... which is where i go..

having said that, i do know a russian director who works at drama centre.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, makes sense, well done any how. Its very nice there lol.

Its ok, the link gets more and more tenuous :P thanks for all your help tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yvaiine)
    AHHHHHHHH
    I got an offer from UCLAN!! Music Theatre So happpyyyyyy
    Congratsss!! I had an audition for there on the 27th but didn't go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
    im on about central school of speech and drama.... which is where i go..

having said that, i do know a russian director who works at drama centre.
    (Original post by starpo)
    shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
    Hehe, makes sense, well done any how. Its very nice there lol.

Its ok, the link gets more and more tenuous :P thanks for all your help tho.
    Yeah

Central around here (and in the Theatre world in general) is shorthand for CSSD (Central School of Speech and Drama). Central St. Martins is generally known as CSM or Drama Centre. Hence the confusion.

A word of advice from me, as a fellow director who also eventually wants to go into directing;

Don't think you have to make doing a BA in Directing a priority because its what you want to do. Over 90% of directors don't do a BA in it and the one's who do have a qualification usually have a Postgrad certificate or an MA. In general, you won't find many 'young' directors in the industry and if you do its Fringe work (which doesn't need qualifications) etc.
    Most Directors become so due to experience in the industry and maybe the addition of postgraduate study. Many directors I know are ex DSMs and SMs or are from the top of their field (often Designers, LD, or Sound Designers).

Fran's course is amazing if you're into theatre in that sense as you get half of what you'd get from studying Drama at a conventional uni but also the real-life contacts in theatre from being a drama school. You also get the wonderful experiences of working with equally talented people in various theatre areas and having industry professionals teach you.

I personally am also an avid DSM and Sound Designers so I'm pursuing that. Then I'll work in the industry with a large number of directors, gain experience, tricks and technique etc from them and go into directing myself. This will also mean I'll know many production companies and production managers who may want to put my shows on or employ me as a director.

Hope that helps!

~Ford
    xoxox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayBeans!)
    Congratsss!! I had an audition for there on the 27th but didn't go.
    Thaaanks
    My audition was on the 27th. How come you didn't go?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Seba, your post was useful.

Yeah, I know the road to being a director is long and indirect but getting a push in the right direction helps.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starpo)
    Cheers Seba, your post was useful.

Yeah, I know the road to being a director is long and indirect but getting a push in the right direction helps.

Thanks
    Always glad to help. All I meant was don't feel disheartened or anything if you can't find a directing course that you like or get a place on. If you have the talent and will, it will be recognised at one stage if you work in theatre. Regardless of what area you work in (so long as its creative... i don't really count box office etc)

Good Luxk

~Ford
    xoxox

ReputationRep:
    Hello BAFTAs, I'm coming to work. :pika:

(Original post by francescarella)
    but in this industry, that's all that matters, else you'd just go somewhere really crap that no-one has heard of.
    I wouldn't consider LIPA as crap, to be honest.

Yes, Central itself has a good reputation and it gives you opportunities, that's not what I've denied. But what's worth a good school, if the student is not good enough? There was an incident on London Walks with one student and while our group still works fine together, she is absolutely crossed out of all the people I would ever consider to employ or to recommend, because there was an inappropriate behaviour, which could inflict on later work.

So Central may open some doors for you - but it is still up to you whether you use the opportunities or not. I'm still talking about school withing the CDS Guide, which are mostly fine, even when not top. No need to be extreme.

Martha Fiennes offered me to consider me for work without me even mentioning Central once, btw.

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, which schools are basically considered the top acting schools in London? And what are the differences between the schools like LAMDA, RADA, and the Central School of Speech and Drama?

Edit: OK sorry I guess my question is a bit vague. I've had a read through the Drama school sticky but still don't have much of an idea what it's all about.

Also, what sort of experience do you need to prepare for an drama school audition?

And for something like musical theatre where do you even start getting experience in that kind of thing? Is there a BA course that lets you do musical theatre as WELL as stage/screen acting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunchbox)
    I was just wondering, which schools are basically considered the top acting schools in London? And what are the differences between the schools like LAMDA, RADA, and the Central School of Speech and Drama?

Edit: OK sorry I guess my question is a bit vague. I've had a read through the Drama school sticky but still don't have much of an idea what it's all about.

Also, what sort of experience do you need to prepare for an drama school audition?

And for something like musical theatre where do you even start getting experience in that kind of thing? Is there a BA course that lets you do musical theatre as WELL as stage/screen acting?
    RADA
    Guildhall
    LAMDA
    Bristol
    Central
    Drama Centre

In these schools roughly 1 out of 100 + applicants get a place.

... In my opinion and I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with the order, but NOBODY would disagree with those being the tops.

To be honest, I'm doing very well with my auditions this year - sure it could be due to unlocking my potential but I have had about 3 years of acting experience in different aspects and I've had a very very odd, painful and stressful life (So do I have a lot of life experience? well hell yes) ! It's obviously going be different for everyone, I think i'm OK to talk because I've had recalls at all the schools i've gone for including central and the thing is consistency - I have a friend who has got into Central (he's 18), but he got rejected by RADA's 1st but has been recalled to Guildhall and LAMDA, He is the only person that I know with a recall at guildhall besides myself.

Guildhall is definitely the toughest audition you will have as they reject about 2000 people from the first round, at my RADA recall today nobody had recalls at guildhall.. I'm still in shock about it to be honest, but boy have I suffered for this 'craft'!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    RADA
    Guildhall
    LAMDA
    Bristol
    Central
    Drama Centre

... In my opinion and I'm sure a lot of people would disagree with the order, but NOBODY would disagree with those being the tops.

To be honest, I'm doing very well with my auditions this year - sure it could be due to unlocking my potential but I have had about 3 years of acting experience in different aspects and I've had a very very odd, painful and stressful life (So do I have a lot of life experience? well hell yes) ! It's obviously going be different for everyone, I think i'm OK to talk because I've had recalls at all the schools i've gone for including central and the thing is consistency - I have a friend who has got into Central (he's 18), but he got rejected by RADA's 1st but has been recalled to Guildhall and LAMDA, He is the only person that I know with a recall at guildhall besides myself.

Guildhall is definitely the toughest audition you will have as they reject about 2000 people from the first round, at my RADA recall today nobody had recalls at guildhall.. I'm still in shock about it to be honest, but boy have I suffered for this 'craft'!
    Thanks for the info. Where can I find out more about the teaching styles of each college? If I really want to get serious about making it into one of these schools, how do I start? Do people take a drama foundation course or something along those lines?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunchbox)
    Thanks for the info. Where can I find out more about the teaching styles of each college? If I really want to get serious about making it into one of these schools, how do I start? Do people take a drama foundation course or something along those lines?
    I can give you details about Mountview as-well if you like. We take approx 1 in every 90 - 120 every year.

~Ford
    xoxox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    RADA
    Guildhall
    LAMDA
    Bristol
    Central
    Drama Centre

You mentioned you had three years of experience- could I ask where? I'm currently a first year studying English at University, but my passion has always been acting and I'm looking to gain some more experience to help make the decision as to whether I stay on and finish my course here, or drop out and follow 'the dream' into professional drama training. Thanks for any help/advice you can give!

ReputationRep:
    I FINALLY got my Rose Bruford audition date Yeaaah

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.