Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JenniferRebecca)
    Agreed as a technical practitioner.

PA: "I want the pictures being 6m high, up to the roof, surrounding the whole space and plastic bubbles in it, which swirl around you - I mean, we can make the audience laying on the floor, can't we? Oh, and is it possible to source a windmachine for like £20 - you know, those that make you fly?"
    Props and Prod LX: "O_o" ...Ehm... what the ****?!"
    :rofl: so true. so true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seba_Nile)
    Who did you get interviewed by? *curious*
    i was there too, totally butting in i had curly hair and was quite quiet, haha. i got interviewed by the head of the course? this is gonna sound so bad but i can't remember his name for the life of me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wastedxtime)
    i was there too, totally butting in i had curly hair and was quite quiet, haha. i got interviewed by the head of the course? this is gonna sound so bad but i can't remember his name for the life of me!
    I remembers you, I was the one that Jess (the lovely Welsh Redhead) left you with before you went off to your intervals. Dark Hair, Tall, lanky, etc....

Andy Franks, but don't worry about forgetting his name. I forgot all names after my interview last year. I still forget Andy's name and I see him every single day!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think I remember haha! I'm so tired atm from travelling/trying to put our current show together without it falling apart.

ReputationRep:
    I think I remember haha! I'm so tired atm from travelling/trying to put our current show together without it falling apart.
    Know the feeling! Lol!

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest (and anticipation) could either Fran or JenniferRebecca possibly give me a better insight into the madness/randomness that I hear being frequently mentioned in connection with the PA course? I'm looking forward to it already! Also, Fran I tried to PM you but apparently your inbox can't receive any new messages, being full! x

ReputationRep:
    I can give you an insight or better, a look from the outsight as a crafts person who is only randomly involved with performance arts.

Generally, what I hear from PAs are sentence like "We need to glue a bin bag on to a wig, because I am trash."

So, what I think is, that they want them to keep their minds very open for every inspiration and be brave to try out many new things, experiment, with surroundings and own body.

PAs constist mainly of people who don't know what they want to become and play around, people who didn't get into any acting course - well, not a lot, though - and people who are determined and want to become a director, producer, writer or similiar. Basically, you have chances to go into a lot of areas.

Now, there will be a project, where I am at, every 1st years do it, and people of all theatre practice strands will come together in groups of 10 to create a theatre performance/ installation.
    We've done a lot of devising, storytelling, strengthen your imagination, and that's quite a lot, what they do, actually.

You won't have any induction to technical stuff, non of them can follow us, when we talk in our 'language'. You will certainly not have any links to reality in your thinking... especially not in terms of "Is it possible?!" That's what we're for.

It's a bit - the director has an idea through a process and will enjoy it, the designer draws it on paper and we then have to sort out how to visualize it in terms of budget, schedule and health and safety - so that's nothing you will be bothered at the beginning. If you're responsible of setting up a company, a festival (Fran is doing that at the moment, see her signature), or a production, and even then only if you don't have any responsible technical people with you, you'll be confronted with it.

You still CAN improve your technical knowledge to a certain extend. Central is very keen on collaboration. It's up to you, what you make of your time here, really.

I wouldn't want to do, what PAs are doing, it seems too abstract. But all of the PAs I know enjoy it hell a lot and the PAs I'm working with are damn good in taking us narrow-minded technical people on a devising journey and working in their field.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by StrawberryFlip)
    Just out of interest (and anticipation) could either Fran or JenniferRebecca possibly give me a better insight into the madness/randomness that I hear being frequently mentioned in connection with the PA course? I'm looking forward to it already! Also, Fran I tried to PM you but apparently your inbox can't receive any new messages, being full! x
    you can PM me now- i've re-subbed (ugh)

PA is madness, but only if you allow it/choose it to be. i've sort of amde the decision to go into more commercial/businessy side of theatre and performance, whilst still retaining the desire to explore new and alternative ways of performing and analysing, No two PA students are the same, although pretty much most, if not all, will think in a similar way. you will soon see for yourself the madness that occurs!
    if you PM me now then i wil get back to you asap (i'm about to go and be in a music video! so exciting!!- i have to be at the studio in an hour so i gotta dash)

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm from Finland and I got unconditional from LIPA to theatre&performance design and my head is a mess now :lol:. I haven't heard from any other schools I applied and I liked LIPA and it felt as a right school for me, but still I'm wondering... I was going to apply in the royal scottish academy of music&drama, but is there really any point in that?

It's just a little voice saying in my head, that LIPA can't be a good school, because I GOT IN... :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Mountview tomorrow too hehe! Hoping it all goes well, I'm terrified I won't get in anywhere. I have Guildhall and RSAMD next week and Central on the 23rd of march.

Edited to add: for stage management/technical theatre, haha
    See you on the 23rd March!

Anyone here go to Rose Bruford or know anyone who does?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by borealowl)
    Hi!

I'm from Finland and I got unconditional from LIPA to theatre&performance design and my head is a mess now :lol:. I haven't heard from any other schools I applied and I liked LIPA and it felt as a right school for me, but still I'm wondering... I was going to apply in the royal scottish academy of music&drama, but is there really any point in that?

It's just a little voice saying in my head, that LIPA can't be a good school, because I GOT IN... :lol:

Go for it anyway... You might like RSAMD even more...

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody,
    Well I have my first Audition on the 5th of March at Bristol Old Vic, and although i'm excited...I have to admit i'm extremely nervous..I've got butterflies in my stomach even now just thinking about it, and it isn't until Friday!
    Has anybody had any experience with Bristol old vic auditions? The one on friday is just the 15 minute preliminary round (I doubt i'll even get past that judging from the competition) but any info would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    HI eveyone,

i have an offer from Central for the DATE course and its my first choice...i have a few questions and i wonder if anyone knows the answer....
    Does anyone know how strict central our on result...say you miss you offer by one grade do they still let you iin or not? Because if you have organised your house etc etc what then happens to that or do people usually leave getting their house till after results??

Another question....after you have accepted central on UCAS what happens next? do central send you a letter explain sharer days etc???

ReputationRep:
    well done everyone on all your offers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbricknell)
    HI eveyone,

i have an offer from Central for the DATE course and its my first choice...i have a few questions and i wonder if anyone knows the answer....
    Does anyone know how strict central our on result...say you miss you offer by one grade do they still let you iin or not? Because if you have organised your house etc etc what then happens to that or do people usually leave getting their house till after results??

Another question....after you have accepted central on UCAS what happens next? do central send you a letter explain sharer days etc???
    I don't know how strict they are, because I had an Unconditional.

You get your results in August, don't you? Many people start sorting out their houses then or September, actually and move in about 2 weeks before Fresher's start, from my experience last year.
    If you miss your offer and don't get into Central, I think you simply have to negotiate house etc. yourself.

After you firmed them, you will get a letter about accomodation etc. in May, June I think and one with details about your course in July. (I think for the DATEs it were 3 books and a short placement to have bought/ done beforehand. But don't worry about that yet!)

You may join the Central 2010 students group on facebook, which is lead by our admissions team.

All in all - enjoy it, take a big, big pause until all the stress and fun starts in October. :pika:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    Go for it anyway... You might like RSAMD even more...
    That's true, but I'm just thinking am I up to it. It's a little bit harder and more expensive to come in to interview from here .

And if I got in both schools I'm in trouble, because can't deside
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    heard about the RSAMD recent scandal?
    ooh-er :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    heard about the RSAMD recent scandal?
    ooh-er :woo:
    Oh aye!
    Shocker!

Good job it doesn't really affect my course ;P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigpineapple)
    Hello everybody,
    Well I have my first Audition on the 5th of March at Bristol Old Vic, and although i'm excited...I have to admit i'm extremely nervous..I've got butterflies in my stomach even now just thinking about it, and it isn't until Friday!
    Has anybody had any experience with Bristol old vic auditions? The one on friday is just the 15 minute preliminary round (I doubt i'll even get past that judging from the competition) but any info would be much appreciated!
    If your talking about the acting course, you go into room in front of two people. Have a quick introduction and chat with them and do your yeo monologues, then your song. Most first rounds are pretty informal, buy remember 75-90% of people get cut from this stage, so try your hardest!
    That's it for that round, if you get through that then it's a workshop day.
    Nerves are good tho, shows your human!

ReputationRep:
    I got an unconditional offer to do the Technical Theatre course at Mountview, AHHH! I'm also at Guildhall tomorrow and RSAMD on Friday.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.