Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys, I have a question about the portfolios we should submit. I'm applying for Theatre Practice at Central School of Speech and Drama. Most of my portfolio will consist of essays which are not even in English. I've started translating them but it's a lot of hard work. Is it okay if I translate only some of them (the best ones) and show the rest? I don't like the idea but I don't know if I'll manage otherwise. Can you give me some advice on that?

ReputationRep:
    Which course are you applying for? Do you have other work, for example drawings or documents that don't need to be translated?

Generally I'd say it's wise to translate the most important ones. I had some essays in German in it, but then a portfolio with drawings and paintings, so they were more a support than the main part.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Theatre Practice - Performance Arts. There are essays, theatre reviews and some research papers I want to include since this will be a big part of it. I can'd draw so there will be no sketches and drawngs, I'll put in some photos from my photography course.

Thanks for the quick reply

ReputationRep:
    Do translate the most important ones. It not only gives them the opportunity to read parts of it, but also have an idea of your English language level.
    They do have a limited amount of time to look through your folder and may read only interesting bits. Make sure important documents are clarified.
    You could also translate titles and prescribtions of essays and only translate very good parts of it and highlight them. If you give them enough to read for about 20 to 30 minutes, including looking at your folder generally, you should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone audition for Birmingham School of Acting and get in?
    Is anyone planning on going?

xx

ReputationRep:
    I got in for the community and applied theatre course at bsa

ReputationRep:
    I've got a conditional reserve offer for acting, I really want to go if I can get off the reserve list. What offer did you get?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    unconditonal x

ReputationRep:
    Sorry luke2008, that was to LyndsayElle!!

ReputationRep:
    Heya, if it helps I'm a current 1st year at Guildford School of Acting doing Musical Theatre, I'd be happy to chat a bit about auditions or the school if anyone wanted it - especially those going for musical theatre too - audition techniques are pretty much the same regardless of school! Good luck to everyone auditioning this year! x x

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know about Courtside Training company?? something to do with thames valley uni?? my friends just got in but doesnt know much about it, any advice would be wicked!

ReputationRep:
    btw i go to Rada's third round on the BA acting, all abit of good experience.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ldip)
    Anyone know about Courtside Training company?? something to do with thames valley uni?? my friends just got in but doesnt know much about it, any advice would be wicked!
    i have never heard of it :confused:
    which is always a bit concerning since i've been to a lot of showcases recently. so personaly I wouldnt go, but it is not up t me- if your friend really likes it then they should go. oherwise wait and try to get in somewhere better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    i have never heard of it :confused:
    which is always a bit concerning since i've been to a lot of showcases recently. so personaly I wouldnt go, but it is not up t me- if your friend really likes it then they should go. oherwise wait and try to get in somewhere better?
    i got the name wrong aha. courtyard?? dunno if u will have heard of that. i didnt know what to suggest to her as im a uni person not drama school!! thanks

ReputationRep:
    :eek3:
    This is a very cool forum, and it looks close to death...
    Please, oh forum, rage rage against the dying of the light!

Annyways
    I've got conditional offers for Warwick and Royal Holloway for Drama
    But the important one
    Next month I interview for Drama Centre for their BA Directors course.
    Can't wait, its gonna be great.

Any1 else applying to DCL? there seems to be an inordinate amount of Central luvvies here :P

Gd luck everyone!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ldip)
    i got the name wrong aha. courtyard?? dunno if u will have heard of that. i didnt know what to suggest to her as im a uni person not drama school!! thanks
    haha. still never heard of it unfortunately. maybe it's just really elite and i'm not cool enough to have heard of it. or maybe not.
    If i was her, I would apply to as many CDS or NCDT schools as possible as they are all accredited and reputable. refer her to the link in my signature about applying for drama school- it should help hopefully

ReputationRep:
    :woo: I have now decided to go to LIPA for Theatre and Performance Design! So here I come Liverpool :eek3: !!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    woo :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd let everyone know that I got rejected from Rose Bruford today.
    BUUUT I don't actually care because it means I'M GOING TO UCLAN which is awesooome
    Wooooo!! It also means that I don't have to do anymore drama school auditions
    Good luck to everyone who still has auditions and mega well done to everyone who's got into where they want
    xxx
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    where did you get your sig gif from? me wants it :puppyeyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.