Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard from York for BA(Hons) Writing, Directing, Performance?

Been over a month since I applied

ReputationRep:
    I have on more ucas choice to ill (already applied to CSSD Theatre Practise, Drama Centre BA Directing, East 15 world performance, and Royal Holloway Drama and Theatre Studies) however I'm torn between Queen Margaret and Queen Mary to do Drama, and was wondering if anyone had opinions or personal experience of either of these? I want to go into Directing as a career.

ReputationRep:
    In the end i went for:

LIPA - Community Drama
    Central - Drama, Applied Theatre & Education
    Bishop Grosseteste - Drama in the community
    Leeds - Drama
    Kingston - Drama

I send my application off about a month ago, and just got an interview at BG, but im driving myself crazy checking for any word from LIPA or Central at the moment!

anyone for LIPA - Community Drama, or Central - DATE got news of interviews yet?

ReputationRep:
    YESSS!

Interviews at Falmouth and Birmingham and finally an acknowledgment from Exeter!

HAPPY!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    YESSS!

Interviews at Falmouth and Birmingham and finally an acknowledgment from Exeter!

HAPPY!
    I have just got an email to say I've got an interview for Falmouth on 26th of Feb!

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Uni of Bristol, Warwick, Royal Holloway and York (Writing, Directing & Performance) and got offers for all 4 so if anyone wants any advice on interview process etc just ask :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_k)
    I applied to Uni of Bristol, Warwick, Royal Holloway and York (Writing, Directing & Performance) and got offers for all 4 so if anyone wants any advice on interview process etc just ask :-)
    Any advice on York would be brilliant, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Woo, sent off my application finally

UEA - Drama
    Uni of Kent- MDrama
    Northampton - Drama
    St Mary's uni college Twickenham - Applied Theatre and Drama
    Chichester - Drama

Have got acknowledgements from UEA, Kent and Chichester and was wondering how long it took people to get from this to an actual audition date? how long does it usually take to hear from all unis?
    So excited

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleximo29)
    Woo, sent off my application finally

UEA - Drama
    Uni of Kent- MDrama
    Northampton - Drama
    St Mary's uni college Twickenham - Applied Theatre and Drama
    Chichester - Drama

Have got acknowledgements from UEA, Kent and Chichester and was wondering how long it took people to get from this to an actual audition date? how long does it usually take to hear from all unis?
    So excited
    Kent, got my acknowledge about 2 weeks ago (i sent off my application end of Sept) and got an interview date today, which i cant go to because Im in New Zealand till 10th June!! I was interviewed last year, as well as attended an open day and recieved an offer so hopefully it shouldnt be too much of a problem. FINGERS CROSSED!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryFlip)
    I have on more ucas choice to ill (already applied to CSSD Theatre Practise, Drama Centre BA Directing, East 15 world performance, and Royal Holloway Drama and Theatre Studies) however I'm torn between Queen Margaret and Queen Mary to do Drama, and was wondering if anyone had opinions or personal experience of either of these? I want to go into Directing as a career.
    If you want to go straight into directing perhaps Queen Mary is not for you. But it is a very enlightening course. It opens your eyes to things you would have never even considered "Drama" or "Theatre" before which, I believe would be very beneficial if you wanted to be a director.

Plus you have the benefit of being in London.

In terms of league tables the Queen Mary Drama department is the best in the country, with our academics getting the highest research ranking possible.

I can answer more specific questions about Queen Mary if you want. Just quote me or PM.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    come to Centralll

if ever you needed good reason- i am working at the New Moon UK Fan Party, Multimedia screening and aftershow party!!! as a vampire!

and even if you cant stand twilight, i am still getting paid £10 an hour to be there :ahee:

all becuase of a general central email that got sent to us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msw91)
    Any advice on York would be brilliant, thanks!
    Right, well the process might be a little different for 2010 entry as 2009 entry was their first intake for the course. Basically, what put me off was for 2009 entry, in the second and third year you HAD to take the theatre option, even though they do television and film as well. The reason for that was because we wouldn't have enough time in the new department they are building at the moment. I'm not sure if its the same for 2010 entry, but you probably have more choice as the building is supposed to be ready around September 2010. So, you would have brand spanking new facilities which of course is a great thing. I actually didn't have an interview for York - they just gave me a conditional offer. They did that with quite a few people, but they definitely did interview some, which was on a one to one interview basis. Even if you do get an offer without an interview, you will have a department day. This for us consisted of some sample teaching and being shown around the department/university. The fact that it does span theatre, film and tv, just make sure you are enthusiastic about all of the areas even if you haven't had any experience in all of them. Just show off some knowledge and make it clear that you have a general interest - there are lots of people who will have come from a theatre based background so lots of people are in the same situation. But, it is good to show it as it shows better suitability to the course. Hope this helps :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_k)
    Right, well the process might be a little different for 2010 entry as 2009 entry was their first intake for the course. Basically, what put me off was for 2009 entry, in the second and third year you HAD to take the theatre option, even though they do television and film as well. The reason for that was because we wouldn't have enough time in the new department they are building at the moment. I'm not sure if its the same for 2010 entry, but you probably have more choice as the building is supposed to be ready around September 2010. So, you would have brand spanking new facilities which of course is a great thing. I actually didn't have an interview for York - they just gave me a conditional offer. They did that with quite a few people, but they definitely did interview some, which was on a one to one interview basis. Even if you do get an offer without an interview, you will have a department day. This for us consisted of some sample teaching and being shown around the department/university. The fact that it does span theatre, film and tv, just make sure you are enthusiastic about all of the areas even if you haven't had any experience in all of them. Just show off some knowledge and make it clear that you have a general interest - there are lots of people who will have come from a theatre based background so lots of people are in the same situation. But, it is good to show it as it shows better suitability to the course. Hope this helps :-)
    thanks for that! Can you remember when they made you the conditional offer? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msw91)
    thanks for that! Can you remember when they made you the conditional offer? thanks!
    I applied the end of October and I think I got the offer either end of December/start of January.

ReputationRep:
    Yay got my audition date for UEA 2nd December! anyone else going to this one? Im so nervous got less than a month before it! hope everyone is getting on okay with their applications too!

ReputationRep:
    I am now in love with the RSAMD.

Actual, real, all-consuming love for the city AND the place.

ReputationRep:
    Awwwre! Where's the Mountview love. I'm sure I'll be able to take someone under my wing by the end of this application process!!!!
    *Sad face*

xoxox
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Mountview smells.

:ninja:

only rogan joshing :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    Ah!

Francescarella!
    I have a central related question for you

What are your hours at the school per day? Do you have like 9-whenever hours?

Just been curious about this for a while and haven't been able to find the information anywhere!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    come to Centralll
    I have a question for you francescarella
    I went to the central open day on the 29th October and i must say I do love the place. Theres just one thing that concerns me!
    We got round to talking about accomodation and i hadn't realised that most people go straight into living in a flat rather than the 1st year in some form of halls.

I was just wondering what you did. did you commute, or have one of those few places in halls, or did you do the flat thing? and how did you feel about whichever you had.
    Theres no possible way i could commute if i got a place on the DATE course as i live in Harrogate (yorkshire), and im a little nervous about the idea of moving straight into a flat without the comfort blanket of halls first, that and im worried that the financial implications might be a little bit of an issue.
    I was just wondering about your opinions on accomodation, or on any advice. It seems like a silly thing to be fussed over when at the end of the day if i get in its a place at central! but any opinions would be REALLY useful! thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.