Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c1234s)
    hey there, had my audition for rada at the end of last week, does anyone know around how many people get recalled there for further rounds?

also got guildhall preliminary audition on tuesday-anyone got advice for me?? thank youu
    I was told it's about 20% with rada's 1st, with guildhall it's under 5%

there's no advice i can really give you apart from what everyone says, keep breathing remember you are auditioning the school as much as they are auditioning you & try to enjoy your experience, best wishes.

ReputationRep:
    Hello y'all, newbie here.

I've applied to RSAMD, Rose Bruford and LAMDA, and have my auditions in one week at the end of April - I arranged that myself because I'm from Austria and don't want to fly back and forth a million times.

Naturally, I'm extremely anxious about getting in any of these - actually I really, really want to get into RSAMD (because of the fees, and because of gut feeling), and Bruford and LAMDA are backup plans (I know, LAMDA a backup plan, silly girl. Well, I have to try, don't I?).

I am training with a voice coach who graduated from LAMDA (~30 years ago), and things are looking good, yet I keep wondering - will my being a foreigner work for or against me here? My normal speech is almost accent-free, and the rehearsed lines sound even more convincing.

Speaking of monologues - one of my pieces will be from Educating Rita, and in the play, it's actually a dialogue (two blocks of lines by "Rita" intersected by one paragraph by Frank). But the two paragraphs work perfectly on its own when you leave out Frank's lines.
    Can I do that, or is that frowned upon? (example here, the last two paragraphs: http://www.actorpoint.com/free_monologues/z2.html)

Also, RSAMD didn't specify that the modern monologue must be from a play, so I took mine from an award-winning... comic book (Neil Gaiman's Sandman). Again, can I get away with that?

And yeah, how "perfect" do I have to be? Because I've noticed that a lot of people who enroll at drama academies have graduated from drama schools before that, and I never had any drama training apart from what I'm doing right now with my coach. In theory, I've got the voice techniques nailed, so my speech should be fine as long as confidence doesn't abandon me. But I'm still, well, inexperienced.

Another thing: Somebody mentioned Rose Bruford's dwindling standards. In what way are they declining? Is it the training?

And one last thing: Could I do Portia (The Merchant Of Venice), the Quality of Mercy, in black jeans? Because I haven't got a "smart" pair of trousers and I'm thinking that since she dresses up as a guy, a skirt would be inappropriate. Should I get a pair of "respectable" trousers, or go with the jeans, or wear a plain skirt?

Sorry about the wall of text, but getting into one of these courses means an awful lot to me. I'll be 25 in a month, and I think next year it'll be too late.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awie)

I've applied to RSAMD, Rose Bruford and LAMDA, and have my auditions in one week at the end of April - I arranged that myself because I'm from Austria and don't want to fly back and forth a million times.

Naturally, I'm extremely anxious about getting in any of these - actually I really, really want to get into RSAMD (because of the fees, and because of gut feeling), and Bruford and LAMDA are backup plans (I know, LAMDA a backup plan, silly girl. Well, I have to try, don't I?).

I am training with a voice coach who graduated from LAMDA (~30 years ago), and things are looking good, yet I keep wondering - will my being a foreigner work for or against me here? My normal speech is almost accent-free, and the rehearsed lines sound even more convincing.

Speaking of monologues - one of my pieces will be from Educating Rita, and in the play, it's actually a dialogue (two blocks of lines by "Rita" intersected by one paragraph by Frank). But the two paragraphs work perfectly on its own when you leave out Frank's lines.
    Can I do that, or is that frowned upon? (example here, the last two paragraphs: http://www.actorpoint.com/free_monologues/z2.html)

Also, RSAMD didn't specify that the modern monologue must be from a play, so I took mine from an award-winning... comic book (Neil Gaiman's Sandman). Again, can I get away with that?

And yeah, how "perfect" do I have to be? Because I've noticed that a lot of people who enroll at drama academies have graduated from drama schools before that, and I never had any drama training apart from what I'm doing right now with my coach. In theory, I've got the voice techniques nailed, so my speech should be fine as long as confidence doesn't abandon me. But I'm still, well, inexperienced.

Another thing: Somebody mentioned Rose Bruford's dwindling standards. In what way are they declining? Is it the training?

And one last thing: Could I do Portia (The Merchant Of Venice), the Quality of Mercy, in black jeans? Because I haven't got a "smart" pair of trousers and I'm thinking that since she dresses up as a guy, a skirt would be inappropriate. Should I get a pair of "respectable" trousers, or go with the jeans, or wear a plain skirt?

Sorry about the wall of text, but getting into one of these courses means an awful lot to me. I'll be 25 in a month, and I think next year it'll be too late.
    Hi - good luck with your auditions. I have auditioned for Drama Centre (twice) & Rose Bruford this year.

Firstly, being "a foreigner", as you described it, won't make a difference - don't worry. If you good and they see potential you'll be fine! :yes: I would say your Educating Rita speech will be fine - I made a duologue into a monologue and it made sense and they seemed to like it. I wouldn't say you need to be an actress now but they need to see you as an actress by the end of the 3 years - so of course, you should have an above average acting standard. The most important aspect is truth!

Your comtemporary piece sounds fine - if they haven't said it has to be this date or this style then it's fine. Make sure you read the whole play. I can't comment on the standards of Rose Bruford but the campus is very nice!

And in regards to your Portia speech - wear what you are comfortable in, do not dress like the character, you should wear something you see fit and you can easily present your drama in. If you have long hair, I'd say put it back out of your face, Rose Bruford tutors commented alot on that during my audition!

Hope that helps. If you need any help PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Really having trouble trying to find a strong contemp monolouge? For males. Anyone got any help with the right direction i could go in? Would like to read any good plays with a strong monolouge Thaanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyy92)
    Really having trouble trying to find a strong contemp monolouge? For males. Anyone got any help with the right direction i could go in? Would like to read any good plays with a strong monolouge Thaanks.
    As someone who loves to act as a hobby (I did actually get into a couple of drama schools for MT but choose to be a techie as I want to be a Director eventually) and Directs as much as I possibly can; I would throughly recommend Stoppard's Arcadia. Valentine (a young mathematician) has an amazing monologue in it. If not I would also recommend Shaffer's Amadeus. Salieri has some deep and thought-provoking monologues as well as Mozart who has some rather frivolous yet desperate ones.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    got a recall from rada ))

but got no recall from guildhall - upset cos LOVED it there!

had to do EVERYTHING THOUGH! 3 pieces + a song + long interview! was in there for a good half an hour so pretty gutted but que sera sera!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c1234s)
    got a recall from rada ))

but got no recall from guildhall - upset cos LOVED it there!

had to do EVERYTHING THOUGH! 3 pieces + a song + long interview! was in there for a good half an hour so pretty gutted but que sera sera!
    well done on your rada recall mate, sorry about guildhall, glad you enjoyed your day there though, onwards and upwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awie)

I'll be going to Rose Bruford on the ATA course next year and my boyfriend will be going to RSAMD on the Musical Theatre course. I can't comment much on his audition experience, apart from it was a fairly quick reply after the audition, but from what I gather both campuses are lovely. The cost of RSAMD is definitely more desirable!! I would have applied there had I not had a desperate need to travel within my degree lol. I think Bruford has more of a close knit feel due to the small number of students there. And I don't think the fact that you're a foreigner will enter into it much at all, to be honest. Good luck with your auditions! x

ReputationRep:
    got a recall on rose bruford 3yr BA acting, anyone gonna be there on the 1st of may?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by msw91)
    Hi - good luck with your auditions. I have auditioned for Drama Centre (twice) & Rose Bruford this year.

Firstly, being "a foreigner", as you described it, won't make a difference - don't worry. If you good and they see potential you'll be fine! :yes: I would say your Educating Rita speech will be fine - I made a duologue into a monologue and it made sense and they seemed to like it. I wouldn't say you need to be an actress now but they need to see you as an actress by the end of the 3 years - so of course, you should have an above average acting standard. The most important aspect is truth!

Your comtemporary piece sounds fine - if they haven't said it has to be this date or this style then it's fine. Make sure you read the whole play. I can't comment on the standards of Rose Bruford but the campus is very nice!

And in regards to your Portia speech - wear what you are comfortable in, do not dress like the character, you should wear something you see fit and you can easily present your drama in. If you have long hair, I'd say put it back out of your face, Rose Bruford tutors commented alot on that during my audition!

Hope that helps. If you need any help PM me.
    (Original post by Sarefrog)
    I'll be going to Rose Bruford on the ATA course next year and my boyfriend will be going to RSAMD on the Musical Theatre course. I can't comment much on his audition experience, apart from it was a fairly quick reply after the audition, but from what I gather both campuses are lovely. The cost of RSAMD is definitely more desirable!! I would have applied there had I not had a desperate need to travel within my degree lol. I think Bruford has more of a close knit feel due to the small number of students there. And I don't think the fact that you're a foreigner will enter into it much at all, to be honest. Good luck with your auditions! x
    Hi again, and sorry for the long radio silence. Thank you both for the swift replies, they helped a lot!

ReputationRep:
    I got an offer from RWCMD 3yr BA Acting.

Still being considered at Drama Centre, Guildhall, LAMDA & Rose Bruford.

How's everyone doing?

ReputationRep:
    Going next week (1st round).

By the way, some of these institutions want a song prepared - for Rose Bruford, LAMDS and RSAMD, do you think "Mercedes Benz" (á la Janis) will be ok?
    Otherwise I would prepare "Seeräuber Jenny" by Bertholt Brecht, but Mercedes Benz is the kind of song I could belt out if you woke me up at 4 a.m. and ordered me to sing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awie)
    Going next week (1st round).

By the way, some of these institutions want a song prepared - for Rose Bruford, LAMDS and RSAMD, do you think "Mercedes Benz" (á la Janis) will be ok?
    Otherwise I would prepare "Seeräuber Jenny" by Bertholt Brecht, but Mercedes Benz is the kind of song I could belt out if you woke me up at 4 a.m. and ordered me to sing.
    You reached Rose Bruford & LAMDA recalls? if so... It's not really about the singing, It's just about telling the story or acting it out, so try to choose a song with depth, I'd say.

However rose bruford do say it must be MT (even for the Acting course..)

ReputationRep:
    hey im henry and i have also got a conditional offer! i like it a lot,
    although waiting for LAMDA.. :s

How did you find the auditions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike198810)
    Just got accepted for AUCB ba acting for 2010 ... Any one else?

hey same! did you get a conditional? howd u find the audition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    I got an offer from RWCMD 3yr BA Acting.

Still being considered at Drama Centre, Guildhall, LAMDA & Rose Bruford.

How's everyone doing?
    That's immense! Well Done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)
    You reached Rose Bruford & LAMDA recalls? if so... It's not really about the singing, It's just about telling the story or acting it out, so try to choose a song with depth, I'd say.

However rose bruford do say it must be MT (even for the Acting course..)
    No, but in case I do (a girl can dream).

"MT"?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Musical Theatre

ReputationRep:
    I see

Seeräuberjenny it is then! (or Pirate Jenny, but I think the whole thing sounds a lot better in German.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popobabu)
    congrats, good luck, but wat hapend with rada?
    oh, I got a no at the third round, check my sig hehe

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.