Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hate auditions that aren't for specific parts, like the auditions I did for my undergraduate were appauling looking back cos I was so nervous! Is so different when you're reading a part, I hate monologues. Might have an audition for professional production of Arcadia too...both next month. Might need sedating.

ReputationRep:
    Updates - I have just made RWCMD my firm choice to study stage management, providing i reach 3 B's in exams
    If not off to CSSD i will be (aslong as 2B's and a C)
    =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robhall3192)
    Updates - I have just made RWCMD my firm choice to study stage management, providing i reach 3 B's in exams
    =]
    Yay A Stage Manager I worked with came from there and was brilliant.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    central :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robhall3192)
    =]
    If you get worse grades you will have to go to CSSD? please get those B's, I'm off to RWCMD but on the BA acting, quite a big school but I'm sure we will bump heads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beccydoodaa)
    Hello! Can't tell you how nervous it make me posting here!

I'm after some advice, or even just some stories of your own adutition experiences really. I have two auditions (Mountview and Oxford) coming up in June (I had to apply late due to illness and exams) and these will be my first auditions in many years. The last auditions I went through were during my GCSEs :/

I've read through all the specs and planned out four monologues, though I still need to choose a couple more just so I have plenty to choose from, I think. I'm really, really nervous. It has been so long since I performed properly in front of anyone. I know I can do it, but self doubt creeps in quite easily when you've had quite a bit of a break.

Do any of you lovely people have any personal stories or advice you'd like to share? What were your impressions of the places, the people etc? What should I/shouldn't I expect? What kind of speeches did you choose? How long did you stay? Etc.

I have never been to either place, due to my health I was unable to go to open days. I'll be applying for an MA, so I realise it's ridiculously competative and want to prepare as much as I can
    Hi! Firstly, I know it's hard but try really hard about calming your nerves, my friend always says "nerves equal nervous energy, and that uses up energy, thus taking away energy from your performance!"

I've personally not applied for an MA, but do you really need more than four monologues? Surely focusing greately on two or three would be better? That way if nerves to hit, you're less likely to get confused. I personally have stuck with the one same modern monologue throughout my audition process and only changed my Jacobean were there's been a list to choose from.

I haven't auditioned at Mountview, but I did at Oxford, and there you really have nothing to worry about! On the audition day everyone went into the warm ups together, regardless of with course they were auditioned for and all did some movement and improvisations etc. I would definitely advise (this may sound obvious) trying to stand further forward in the room, and don't shy away, make yourself be noticed! That's what I did and it worked for me. So many people sort of hid at the back, probably due to nerves, but you've got to put yourself out there!!

I absolutely loved Oxford as a school, it's really quaint but homely and it feels very friendly. I was there for a few hours, probably around 3 ish.
    At lunch time they called all successful applicants on to the afternoon, so the recall was then as to opposed another day. I'm not sure again about the MA but good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosieninteyone)
    Hi! Firstly, I know it's hard but try really hard about calming your nerves, my friend always says "nerves equal nervous energy, and that uses up energy, thus taking away energy from your performance!"

I've personally not applied for an MA, but do you really need more than four monologues? Surely focusing greately on two or three would be better? That way if nerves to hit, you're less likely to get confused. I personally have stuck with the one same modern monologue throughout my audition process and only changed my Jacobean were there's been a list to choose from.

I haven't auditioned at Mountview, but I did at Oxford, and there you really have nothing to worry about! On the audition day everyone went into the warm ups together, regardless of with course they were auditioned for and all did some movement and improvisations etc. I would definitely advise (this may sound obvious) trying to stand further forward in the room, and don't shy away, make yourself be noticed! That's what I did and it worked for me. So many people sort of hid at the back, probably due to nerves, but you've got to put yourself out there!!

I absolutely loved Oxford as a school, it's really quaint but homely and it feels very friendly. I was there for a few hours, probably around 3 ish.
    At lunch time they called all successful applicants on to the afternoon, so the recall was then as to opposed another day. I'm not sure again about the MA but good luck!!
    Hello, thank you fror your reply

I actually had the auditions weeks ago now, but thank you for offering your advice and support, very kind of you!

I actually wasn't that fond of Oxford at all, though I did like Mountview quite a bit. I've been to lots of different places now and decided to wait until next year to reapply to the ones I really fell in love with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beccydoodaa)
    Hello, thank you fror your reply

I actually had the auditions weeks ago now, but that you for offering your advice and support, very kind of you!

I actually wasn't that fond of Oxford at all, though I did like Mountview quite a bit. I've been to lots of different places now and decided to wait until next year to reapply to the ones I really fell in love with.
    Thats because Mountview is awesome
    Xoxox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seba_Nile)
    Thats because Mountview is awesome
    Xoxox
    It is indeed! Even with my great big mess up (I dried up three times during my Shakespeare speech despite the fact I'd delivered it the day before without any problems) everything was really great. It is indeed a lovely atmosphere and hopefully I'll be back next year to reapply

ReputationRep:
    http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/s....php?t=1337045

Hopefully I've managed a link to a new thread for RWCMD guys, trying to get everyone on here who is going together =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wastedxtime)
    Woop! I'll be doing the Technical Theatre course, specifially design realistion
    Hi,
    did you go to Guildhall in the end, i'm applying for the same course for sept 2011, just wondered what its like and what the interview is like cos i got my interview date yesterday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melana)
    I second Seba_Nile's offer of help for any potential Stage Managers/Techies, but from a LAMDA perspective
    Hi
    i wondered if you could give me any info on LAMDA, i'm applying for entry in 2011 on the stage management and technical theatre course. I'm just waiting for an interview date... Whats the interview like?
    I'm also applying to Guildhall and RADA, do you know much about the three courses in comparison? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13Zoe1993)
    Hi
    i wondered if you could give me any info on LAMDA, i'm applying for entry in 2011 on the stage management and technical theatre course. I'm just waiting for an interview date... Whats the interview like?
    I'm also applying to Guildhall and RADA, do you know much about the three courses in comparison? Thanks
    Hi, sorry this is so late! The interview is great actually, really relaxed and they really try to make you feel comfortable. You'll bring a portfolio of what experience you've got, and basically present that to them, and then they'll ask you some questions just to see what your level of knowledge is. Nothing too tricky. I can only say from people in the business I've talked to, but they've all recommended LAMDA and Bristol Old Vic to me, and discouraged me from RADA for technical theatre. In the end though, I think it's about what school suits you, and you'll get a feel of that from the interview. Make eye contact, look enthusiastic, organised and bring a decent portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yvaiine)
    I'm really excited too! What Shakespeare speech and song are you doing?
    Yeah, I know what it should be about, I just don't know where to start I'll just have a go I guess
    It says you can do your devised piece through song, does that mean you'd have to write your own? I have an audition at LIPA by the way on the 20th!

ReputationRep:
    Heyy , does anyone go to LIPA or have any information on there auditions , i have an audition in january very nervous any info would be great thanks x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.