ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03lawrel)
    In the end i went for:

LIPA - Community Drama
    Central - Drama, Applied Theatre & Education
    Bishop Grosseteste - Drama in the community
    Leeds - Drama
    Kingston - Drama

I send my application off about a month ago, and just got an interview at BG, but im driving myself crazy checking for any word from LIPA or Central at the moment!

anyone for LIPA - Community Drama, or Central - DATE got news of interviews yet?
    Hiya
    ive also applied to LIPA and CENTRAL for community and and the DATE course. I'm like you still havent heard anything from either. Apart from LIPA the sent me an email saying that they recived my paper application (i think thats only beauce i sent it during the postal strike so they thought i hadnt sent it at one one point.) I snet my UCAS off on like the 20th od spetember and still heard nothing more Lwet me knwo if you hear nething! i just want to knwo more!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    Mountview smells.

:ninja:

only rogan joshing :yy:
    Well Central is.... erm... smellier?

only joking
    I love all drama students as they all share the common interest of theatre! YEY !

Anyways.. I almost went to Central but turned it down because this course is two years baby! :P
    xoxox
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    Ah!

Francescarella!
    I have a central related question for you

What are your hours at the school per day? Do you have like 9-whenever hours?

Just been curious about this for a while and haven't been able to find the information anywhere!

Thanks
    hiii
    standard first year hours are 10-5 every day

standard second year hours- 10-6 every day but have wednesdays off

standard third year hours- in on mondays and fridays for tutorials and lectures but other than that you dont have anything timetabled as you'll be doing projects and essays and then your dissertation!

x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have a question for you francescarella
    I went to the central open day on the 29th October and i must say I do love the place. Theres just one thing that concerns me!
    We got round to talking about accomodation and i hadn't realised that most people go straight into living in a flat rather than the 1st year in some form of halls.

I was just wondering what you did. did you commute, or have one of those few places in halls, or did you do the flat thing? and how did you feel about whichever you had.
    Theres no possible way i could commute if i got a place on the DATE course as i live in Harrogate (yorkshire), and im a little nervous about the idea of moving straight into a flat without the comfort blanket of halls first, that and im worried that the financial implications might be a little bit of an issue.
    I was just wondering about your opinions on accomodation, or on any advice. It seems like a silly thing to be fussed over when at the end of the day if i get in its a place at central! but any opinions would be REALLY useful! thank you
    hi
    i moved straight into private rented accom with 4 other centralites. the vast vast vast majorty of people do this. some people get places at Nutford House which in the intercollegiate hall we have. some people commute as they are originally from london anyway.
    you get a higher loan anyway for living in london plus you can get a part time job. it is daunting at first but then you realise its been this way for about 100 years and central students have always managed it! plus it means you grow up quicker and learn about bills cooking washing etc much quicker. also, house parties are wicked! you will soon realise how much fun it is to have your own house at 18 with a bunch of theatrical friends in london!

ReputationRep:
    I went to the central open day on the 29th October and i must say I do love the place.
    Have you been in the props room when we were walking round with respirator masks and dirty overalls? :curious:

What I may add to Fran's standart timetable - and it's something I think is gorgeous: a 2nd year guy from puppetry doesn't feel that the course covers all the skills he'd like to achieve - he is excluded from some lectures and has to organise them himself. So he participated in our 2 skills weeks. I quite like that Central might be open to provide the students with what they're eager to learn, even if it's only time to get work-experience in another field. That applies for working abroad as well.

I hope you don't mind, Fran. I'm just taking care of some craft-interested people, if I may.

We had 11am - 1pm today. Hehe.
    Oh, we had a magician as a lecturer so far, Joyce Branagh, Kenneth Branagh's little sister, worked with us last Wednesday - she was lovely - and when we were visiting a show, Judi Dench and Will Young were among us. Not to mention that living in London is a gorgeous place when studying at a drama school. I saw Jude Law and Ralph Fiennes, Daniel Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths (Coming soon again!) and the Queen (Still so excited about it, lol!) walked into Michael Gambon and met - next to others - Sir Ian McKellen.

ReputationRep:
    hiii
    standard first year hours are 10-5 every day

standard second year hours- 10-6 every day but have wednesdays off

standard third year hours- in on mondays and fridays for tutorials and lectures but other than that you dont have anything timetabled as you'll be doing projects and essays and then your dissertation!

x
    Thanks

That's so helpful!

ReputationRep:
    I've gone for:

Rose Bruford-American Theatre Arts
    Royal Holloway-International Theatre (Australia)
    Exeter-Drama
    Manchester College-Musical Theatre
    Bath Spa-Musical Theatre

Really hoping for Rose Bruford or Royal Holloway. Any advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarefrog)
    I've gone for:

Rose Bruford-American Theatre Arts
    Royal Holloway-International Theatre (Australia)
    Exeter-Drama
    Manchester College-Musical Theatre
    Bath Spa-Musical Theatre

Really hoping for Rose Bruford or Royal Holloway. Any advice would be appreciated
    Just to note that the Rose Bruford course isn't one of the most acknowledged courses out there, despite being a drama school. More recently the industry has turned it's nose up to the institution somewhat due to the dwindling standards.

Just a precautionary note.

On the other hand, the Royal Holloway course is fantastic !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seba_Nile)
    Just to note that the Rose Bruford course isn't one of the most acknowledged courses out there, despite being a drama school. More recently the industry has turned it's nose up to the institution somewhat due to the dwindling standards.

Just a precautionary note.

On the other hand, the Royal Holloway course is fantastic !
    Do you have any more info about Rose Bruford? I was under the impression it was well respected? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I know you guy are drama degree cats and all.

But I got a recall at guildhall for the acting course and the final round is in may , just sharing the news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)

But I got a recall at guildhall for the acting course and the final round is in may , just sharing the news.
    Wow

Well Done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarefrog)
    Do you have any more info about Rose Bruford? I was under the impression it was well respected? :confused:
    Not anything official but when I attended my interview there one of the tutors said "if you get in anywhere else" (I had, Central and Mountview) then go there, which for one is pretty damning evidence.
    But at the same time, I have been in theatre since I was 5 and met many experiences practitioners. More recently many have said the standards have dropped significantly at the institution and are not what they were.

Its not a bad institution and it is respected but real-world employers (the experienced practitioners) are more often than not counting persons from Central, Mountviews etc and the big drama conventional unis (Royal Holloway etc) as more desirable.

Go to the open days and make your own decision but this is just an advisory note about my experiences with the theatrical world and its opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Respect4Acting)

Very well done!
    Guildhall is not easy to get into!!!
    xoxox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seba_Nile)
    Very well done!
    Guildhall is not easy to get into!!!
    xoxox
    Thanks!

next stop LAMDA, Then Central, Then RADAAAA Daaaarling.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ditto seba about rose bruford.
    they had to cancel their directing course last year as well, didn't they?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed they did!

ReputationRep:
    They did cancel their directing course yes. I think it's a real shame, as Drama Centre is now the only institution that runs an Undergraduate directing course (that I know of, if anyone else knows of one please feel free to let me know!) Also, after applying for the course at RB I wasn't informed by either the college or by ucas that it had been closed. Therefore I was too late to change my application and I lost one of my choices...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryFlip)
    after applying for the course at RB I wasn't informed by either the college or by ucas that it had been closed. Therefore I was too late to change my application and I lost one of my choices...
    Ouch, thats not fair at all! well good luck with the four you did get, i wish you the very best of luck! thats a pretty monumentous fail on the behalf of UCAS

ReputationRep:
    I got my interview date for central today! for the DATE course!
    Im sooo happy, the wait was killing me!!!!
    Anyone else got an interview on the 14th December?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how much weight age has at audition? At the Central open day they seemed to suggest they are not looking for people straight out of 6th form - how many 18 year olds actually get selected for BA Acting - anyone got any idea?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.