Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, I'm hoping they offer me an interview so i can go look round/hopefully get a place! it seems so nice from the website etc..but it's too far for me to head up for an open day so far. Their Technical Theatre course just seems goooood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wastedxtime)
    Maybe, I'm hoping they offer me an interview so i can go look round/hopefully get a place! it seems so nice from the website etc..but it's too far for me to head up for an open day so far. Their Technical Theatre course just seems goooood
    I went for an open day not long ago, it was amazing. Cos they teach (Almost) all the performing arts there's all sorts of people there! You can walk past different rooms with people practicing their xylophones and singing their hearts out, its fantastic

The halls are a 2-3 minute walk from the Academy and the Train station is about a 10 minute walk away. It's brilliant.

And it's all in one convenient building that has a nice, fairly cheap cafeteria onsite

LOVE IT!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh thanks for the info, it sounds great! Have almost finished my application so hopefully will be sending it off this week

ReputationRep:
    ahh Sorry! I didn't mean to come off like that, I don't think I really got what you were asking at the time, haha.

Which ones do you think I've missed? I looked at LAMDA/RADA and such and I'm still undecided on those, I think. Have you got any ones you think I might have missed that might be worth looking at? Sorry if I came off as a massive b***h, lol.

I have to say though, from my point of view so far, I really like the look of RSAMD
    Problem with RADA and LAMDA is that they are not BA courses. They are HNDs (or foundation degree) so I think this if your aim was to get a BA then this was a wise move to avoid them.

RADA can offer a BA but its optional which means the course isn't geared towards this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seba_Nile)
    Problem with RADA and LAMDA is that they are not BA courses. They are HNDs (or foundation degree) so I think this if your aim was to get a BA then this was a wise move to avoid them.

RADA can offer a BA but its optional which means the course isn't geared towards this.
    Yeah, that's what put me off them a bit..I think i want to do a BA, but both RADA and LAMDA do look very good, i think i'ma stick with the course that'll let me get a BA

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what put me off them a bit..I think i want to do a BA, but both RADA and LAMDA do look very good, i think i'ma stick with the course that'll let me get a BA
    They are good institutions but if you want a BA then they are not recommended.
    Every institution is unique.

Mountview is fast track (same hours as three year course but in two years)
    Central has the best training theatre in the Country
    Guildhall has the most money (bigger budgets) and is building a state of the art facility right now.
    RSAMD has a large variety of shows etc
    RADA and LAMDA are steeped in history

The list continues but you get my gist
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

Guildhall has the most money (bigger budgets) and is building a state of the art facility right now.

i've just spent my day rigging lights, fitting up drapes and searching for lost tripoli tracks in that theatre. lol. am are temporary Central Techy
    oh and ive literally only jut realised your name is from darren shan! bloody love those books. the film was so gash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    i've just spent my day rigging lights, fitting up drapes and searching for lost tripoli tracks in that theatre. lol. am are temporary Central Techy
    oh and ive literally only jut realised your name is from darren shan! bloody love those books. the film was so gash.
    But of course
    I love those books and he is my favourite character. The film was rubbish to be utterly truthful!

Yey! for techyness in an amazing theatre!

ReputationRep:

Um... right.

Central is great, but your list there is incredibly unrepresentative! I think we could all come up with judgements like that about those schools that would be completely different.

In terms of the 2 year, 3 year things, I know many of the schools hated being made to offer any kind of academic qualification because it's just not about the qualification, it's about the training. If you want a BA because you want a degree then that's understandable, but don't worry that you wouldn't be learning enough because the two year courses are not at the same pace as a BA so it's a steep learning curve, and matches the pace of the industry in many ways.

ReputationRep:
    It's not about just wanting a BA, i think, it just seems to appeal to me and I think I want to take a three year course..if that makes any sense? It might not, lol, i'm slightly out of it after driving :P But thanks for the info/reccomendations everyone

ReputationRep:
    It's not about just wanting a BA, i think, it just seems to appeal to me and I think I want to take a three year course..if that makes any sense? It might not, lol, i'm slightly out of it after driving :P But thanks for the info/reccomendations everyone
    I understand Just didn't want you to worry about the pace of it. Bristol Old Vic do a great 3 year course; I've been told on several occasions that BOV and LAMDA are the best schools for SMTT so I'd have a look at Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I *think* I signed up on their website, but haven't actually gotten around to applying yet, haha. I think I will though as we have a student who left from our course and is now at BOV. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melana)
    Um... right.

Central is great, but your list there is incredibly unrepresentative! I think we could all come up with judgements like that about those schools that would be completely different.

In terms of the 2 year, 3 year things, I know many of the schools hated being made to offer any kind of academic qualification because it's just not about the qualification, it's about the training. If you want a BA because you want a degree then that's understandable, but don't worry that you wouldn't be learning enough because the two year courses are not at the same pace as a BA so it's a steep learning curve, and matches the pace of the industry in many ways.
    That was my point. That list was representative of BA courses (as he stated that he wanted a BA course) and was using individual points to show that each course has its own uniqueness. It is by no means a finite or true reflection of each course but merely a list of unique things.

Central does have the best training theatre (as you highlighted this) and this is a recognised fact. Im a Mountviewian but the NCDT and CDS recognise the Embassy Theatre (Central's theatre) as the best equipped theatre held by a student training body in relation to modern and industry standard equipment.

ReputationRep:
    I understand Just didn't want you to worry about the pace of it. Bristol Old Vic do a great 3 year course; I've been told on several occasions that BOV and LAMDA are the best schools for SMTT so I'd have a look at Bristol.
    As much as they are both high quality institutions. Having spoken to hundreds of industry employers there is no preference in employment or bias towards certain institutions over another due to quality. Each course is unique and you should pick the one that suits you and not the one you've been told is the best.

I have been taught my entire life by Central Grads but I felt I fitted in more at Mountview.
    I worried for a while due to the fact that Id been informed that Central was by far the best training centre for SMTT and I had turned down my place off. But having had so much contact with industry professionals since starting my training I have learnt that its your talents they are interested in and that they are best harnessed in an institution thats right for you.

You could be the best SM in the history of ever (potentially) but say you were a 'Guildhall' person but you trained at 'BOV' because you were told its better; then you may not reach your full potential in education.
    You get my drift...
    Go with what you feel is right and not what you are told is right.
    I know we have many opinions here but we will all respect wherever it is you choose to go and all wish you the greatest successes in your prospective careers.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's sort of like saying it doesn't matter what university you go to. Of course in this situation all those accredited are going to be of a high standard, but my tutors and several long-term stage managers have agreed that they go to certain schools first when employing SMs. In the end though, feeling is the most important thing, of course, and we're incredibly lucky if we end up with a choice at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's sort of like saying it doesn't matter what university you go to. Of course in this situation all those accredited are going to be of a high standard, but my tutors and several long-term stage managers have agreed that they go to certain schools first when employing SMs. In the end though, feeling is the most important thing, of course, and we're incredibly lucky if we end up with a choice at the end of the day.
    Totally agreed. When I said it didn't matter where you go, I meant out of the NCDT or CDS training Universities not just any old school. And yes, we know some are better than other but you could still excel in one of the 'worse' ones and not get on very well in one of the 'best' ones.

However, a choice is definitely a luxury. But to be honest they can normally tell if you'd suit the institution at the interviews and part of the offer process is based on this anyway.Unless you are truly exceptional, you are unlikely to get accepted everywhere.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    screw all this jibba jabba. come to Central. you know you wanna

but srsly, do what you want :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Went to Birmingham Uni today.
    Bit underwhelmed tbh...
    The course is good, but I just didn't get the vibe...

ReputationRep:
    Moderns I am okay with... just need to cut them down a bit.

On Shakey speeches:
    For Central I'm planning on doing:
    Angelo - What's this, What's this? and Hamlet - O That this too too solid flesh...

Hopefully that will be alright.
    For the other schools I plan to do a different monologue from Hamlet / Macbeth or Measure for Measure.

I don't want this to seem lazy as 'well known texts' - I am doing them because they are the texts I have studied and feel most comfortable in my knowledge of, will they reject that explanation and say I'm lazy?

So I'm considering Claudio's speech on Death, and a Hamlet/Macbeth one...

Anyone have any views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dramalad)
    Moderns I am okay with... just need to cut them down a bit.

On Shakey speeches:
    For Central I'm planning on doing:
    Angelo - What's this, What's this? and Hamlet - O That this too too solid flesh...

Hopefully that will be alright.
    For the other schools I plan to do a different monologue from Hamlet / Macbeth or Measure for Measure.

I don't want this to seem lazy as 'well known texts' - I am doing them because they are the texts I have studied and feel most comfortable in my knowledge of, will they reject that explanation and say I'm lazy?

So I'm considering Claudio's speech on Death, and a Hamlet/Macbeth one...

Anyone have any views?
    I'm sure I'll see you about at Mountview on the 15th (although we technically finish term on the 11th)

Your speech's sound good. Try and go for the less done monologues from Hamlet/Macbeth as they will be heard alot but I totally back going with plays you know well. It'll make your acting stronger and therefore you are more likely to be offered a place

~James

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.