Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seba_Nile)
    Because she wants to? It's her right to.
    People who are as judgemental as you are being is the reason I despair of people from the Hounslow Borough. I live there and its going so downhill and fast.
    I'm not judgemental about burlesque. Bring it on. But it should be performed by people who actually look like burlesque stars. I mean, she looks like a nice enough girl, but she's hardly Dita.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seba_Nile)
    So long as it doesn't break any reasonable law or moral decency, people have the right to do as they please without being pestered or criticised by others.
    But my EYES, MY EYES! It hurts my poor eyes.

*skitters off into a dark corner and tries to erase the image of a plump librarian with nipple tassels*

ReputationRep:
    Got a letter today from Mountview, and I have an interview on the 24th of Feb for the Technical Theatre course, yaaaay!

ETA; does anyone know how the interview day runs/what it's like? I'd love some insight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wastedxtime)
    Got a letter today from Mountview, and I have an interview on the 24th of Feb for the Technical Theatre course, yaaaay!

ETA; does anyone know how the interview day runs/what it's like? I'd love some insight
    Awesome!

Good Luck!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by that_diesel)

*skitters off into a dark corner and tries to erase the image of a plump librarian with nipple tassels*
    :rofl:
    you're such a douchebag
    it is clear to see why you have so many red gems. i'd give you more but you're not even worth the effort.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

seba_nile should be here in a flash to answer your questions, i imagine

ReputationRep:

*arrives in a flash* LOL

If you need any help contact me.

Basically, you get shown around the place and then you go through an introduction to the course and a tutor will answer your questions. This will probably be the course head, Andy, or Jacqui (SM Tutor and deputy course head).

The first year students (me and others) will take you out for lunch (probably to Weatherspoons) and answer any questions you may have.

Then, after lunch, you will get interviewed by a tutor at the Uni. When you aren't be interviewed you'll fill in a details form and write mini-essay (100/200 words) about a show you've seen recently (so have one in mind).

Well..... that's how it was last year and I doubt it has changed. If it does I'll let you know as I'll be one of the guides for the interview days.
    I'll give the course administrator a buzz just to check if anything's changed

~James

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thankyou so much! I had a letter which gives a little outline of the day..such as this Group A: Group task or something? then Grou B: Writing Task, so I was wondering what the heck those were basically. But thanks for the info! I'm rather looking forwards to it actually, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thankyou so much! I had a letter which gives a little outline of the day..such as this Group A: Group task or something? then Grou B: Writing Task, so I was wondering what the heck those were basically. But thanks for the info! I'm rather looking forwards to it actually, haha.
    OH CRAP!

LOL!

I forgot about the group task.

The writing task will probs be the short play evaluation.

The group task will (almost definitely) be a small assignment wherein you'll be given the beginning of a script (all stage directions and no dialogue) and be assigned to create the rest of the scene (about a minute in total) with only technical aspects (lights, sound, SM/props). The group will decide on a Lighting Tech, Sound Tech, a DSM (cueing person), 1/2 ASMs (props), a designer and a project leader. They will ask you to try and do a role you don't normally do.

Don't worry too much about this and the quality of the outcome. Its actually a test to see how well you work as a team and how well you work to deadlines. Also, it is a test of character to see if you are the sort of person who would fit in with the institution dynamic. It in no way affects the outcome in any assessment of ability.

The interview is relatively comfortable and informal but VERY important. They will discuss your levels of experience, what areas you enjoy the most and previous projects you have worked on. They will also ask you to analyse your strengths and weaknesses (maybe in relation to a project you have mentioned) so come with some clever, well structured answers for this question. It is also highly advised to bring a portfolio of work, even though it isn't a necessity.

The interview results (and the character assessment from the group exercise) in them basically grading you (out of 100) and the top 25/30 grades or so will be offered places (remember there are over 3000 applicants) and then the next 10/12 will be offered waiting list places.

Even if you are fantastic remember to try and take the interview well the best 6/8 candidates (luckily I was one of these last year) will be offered a DADA which will pay most of your course fees [its £10,000ish a year but a DADA means you only pay £1250 a year. Even better, if like myself, you are from a low income family. If this is the case you'll pay nothing in tuition fees and they may give you a maintenance and living grant. Mines £4,600 a year. So basically, they pay you to attend as you do not have to pay this grant back].

Don't panic though! They know you'll be nervous and this won't affect the outcome. Just be honest and enthusiastic and you'll do way better than those who frantically panic. This is something to do with the Mountview dynamic, I suppose. We are a very bohemian institution and we like things to be very open, honest and laid back (in the most professional of ways). Our site is in an old industrial estate (an old nestle factory to be precise) and you'll get the bohemian vibes from the off. It's very different to (as an Example) Central, which is much more metropolitan (bad explanation but just trying to give you the gist of it).

If you need any more help, let me know

ReputationRep:
    Applying for English and Drama (Joint Honours):
    University of Leeds
    University of Manchester
    UEA
    De Montfort University
    University of Birmingham

Sending to referee late next week, if all goes well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by that_diesel)

wow, you just managed to insult possibly the most loved member on this thread and as for your previous post about Dita....Its about the creativity of the show, ive seen size 18 women do burlesque and still be absolutely brilliant. but i dont expect your all that knowledgable about burlesque, so i'll just pat you on the head and give you a stale cookie for trying to form an opinion :cookie:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescarella)
    Alright Francescarella?

Just wondering what to put into my portfolio for Theatre Practice Performance Arts...
    Did you put alot into it?

I've collected most of my theatre stuff, but I just dont know what should go into it!

Should I just pick some of my more interesting things to talk about?

Do I need essays?

IM CONFUSED!

ReputationRep:
    Had my audition at UEA yesterday and they replied to me with a conditional offer today!! yaaay!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    Alright Francescarella?

Just wondering what to put into my portfolio for Theatre Practice Performance Arts...
    Did you put alot into it?

I've collected most of my theatre stuff, but I just dont know what should go into it!

Should I just pick some of my more interesting things to talk about?

Do I need essays?

IM CONFUSED!
    hey
    DO NOT PANIC!

honestly, it's fine. my portfolio was a bag of tosh and i still got in.
    mine was a simply A4 folder. in it i had a mix of production shots from shows id performed in, reviews, articles id written about a drama club i ran for school newspaper, show schedules, cue sheets for sound/lighting, prop lists, camera reel forms, stuff like that. it was pretty basic and simple but it showed id got involved in more than one area of drama and i still had a lot yet to achieve.
    just put a mix of stuff- shows you have a range of interests and disciplines
    they ask you for an essay separately dont they?

ReputationRep:
    hey
    DO NOT PANIC!

honestly, it's fine. my portfolio was a bag of tosh and i still got in.
    mine was a simply A4 folder. in it i had a mix of production shots from shows id performed in, reviews, articles id written about a drama club i ran for school newspaper, show schedules, cue sheets for sound/lighting, prop lists, camera reel forms, stuff like that. it was pretty basic and simple but it showed id got involved in more than one area of drama and i still had a lot yet to achieve.
    just put a mix of stuff- shows you have a range of interests and disciplines
    they ask you for an essay separately dont they?
    That still sounds like loads more interesting stuff than I have! haha!

Yeah they've asked me for an essay on a live performance event. Im just polishing that now. Written about a Bullfight I went to see in Spain. Purely because it was probably one of the most provoking things I've ever seen and when I came out I just felt really strongly about it... It really affected me, so I'm looking at the bullfight as theatre of Cruelty, discussing why I think it is a performance and how conflicted my emotions were after seeing it.
    Hopefully thinking a bit out of the box won't hurt me too much... But if not, I have a backup essay on "Mother Courage" :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mazzia)
    That still sounds like loads more interesting stuff than I have! haha!

Yeah they've asked me for an essay on a live performance event. Im just polishing that now. Written about a Bullfight I went to see in Spain. Purely because it was probably one of the most provoking things I've ever seen and when I came out I just felt really strongly about it... It really affected me, so I'm looking at the bullfight as theatre of Cruelty, discussing why I think it is a performance and how conflicted my emotions were after seeing it.
    Hopefully thinking a bit out of the box won't hurt me too much... But if not, I have a backup essay on "Mother Courage" :P
    oooh they will love that! thats really interesting. i did mine on an Indian production of midsummer nights dream i saw. you wont have time to discuss your essay as youre not in the room when they read it.

ReputationRep:
    oooh they will love that! thats really interesting. i did mine on an Indian production of midsummer nights dream i saw. you wont have time to discuss your essay as youre not in the room when they read it.
    Thanks

I was a bit worried it was going to be a bit too weird.:P

Indian Midsummer Night's Dream! Wow! That sounds amazing!

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at Central on the 20th January for Drama, Applied Drama and Education......
    Does anyone one know what to put in the portfolio they ask for??????

ReputationRep:
    Got an interview in Jan for LIPA Theatre & Performance design, yaaay Need to write about a recent production i've seen for that one, better get cracking :P

ReputationRep:
    Got Central on the 17th, Acting......! I'm gonna show confidence and hope the first round is a walk in the park, second round should really test me!.. I'd be a very proud man if i could last till 6pm
    & This monday - sunday, my focus on perfecting my speeches will be intense.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.