The Student Room Group

Tesco - do they employ anyone?

I've had no luck so far in finding a job so I'm thinking I might as well try supermarkets. There's a big Tesco extra near me so i'll apply there as soon as. I've heard supermarkets will employ anyone but I doubt it in this recession. I'm looking for weekend work. To those of you who work at Tesco what's it like? How long after I apply should I give up hope of them contacting me?
Reply 1
No, they don't employ anyone. It's all part of the plan for the machines to take over the world. It starts with 'Please scan your first item', soon it will be 'You will obey all our orders'
It's not good. Don't do it.
Reply 3
Sure looks like they employ anyone :eek:
I asked not long ago for an application form and they told me they weren't taking on. I worked at Tesco one xmas though as a temp and certainly at the one I worked in they took anybody on, we had a group thing where all we did was fill forms in, watch some videos, get shown round where the fire exits were then served a few customers, no 1 to 1 chats or anything. I was drunk still from the night before, there was a chinese girl who didn't have a bank account or proof she could work here, this little chavvy lad who came in with some dirty sweater on and worked in it so they weren't bothered whatsoever but at that time of year they just need the numbers and lets face it tesco can afford carrying a few people even if they are crap.
There was a Tesco that opened near me and they had 2,500 applicants for ~60 jobs.

Soul destroying.
Most supermarkets aren't taking on at the moment, nor were they at normal taking on times such as Christmas. And no, they won't just employ anyone, you actually have to be what they're looking for. They're quite picky now.
Reply 7
Getting into a supermarket is pretty tough at the moment. Would be nice if people realised getting a job in Tescos or Sainsburys isn't a cakewalk, and don't then complain when they don't get offered a job.
FXX
Getting into a supermarket is pretty tough at the moment. Would be nice if people realised getting a job in Tescos or Sainsburys isn't a cakewalk, and don't then complain when they don't get offered a job.

completely off topic, but when my boyfriend used the phrase ' its a cakewalk' I thought he was making it up - this is the first time Ive seen anyone else use it!
Reply 9
A Tesco Extra opened up near me a few months ago and they received over 800 applications for 60 jobs. Good luck.
I'm not sure, i worked there for a while, they turned me down after the interview but then rang me up the same day i got the letter and asked if i would like a job there. It was ok, the pay was good but it was so boring, especially on checkouts where you're just sitting there scanning items all day. Also all the supervisors at my one seemed really unhelpful, i went a year working there before i managed to get holiday off on a day i actually had plans.
You have to have skills. You have to have a personality... and at least five GCSEs
You have to have good people skills, so be warm and friendly at the interview, and remember: being part of a team is EVERYTHING!!! team this team that :rolleyes:
I had an interview and then heard nothing for 3 months, then out of the blue was phoned up and asked in for another interview-but I think most people hear within about a month
Reply 13
Tesco are cutting hours for everyone, even the ones in high places :p:
I seriously don't think they'll be on the lookout for any new staff at the moment

Latest

Trending

Trending