Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need Contact Lenses NOW! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick sick SICK of wearing glasses! Seriously! It's been almost 6 years now. Sometimes I misplace it, and end up sitting or stepping on it. I broke my glasses at least 5 times and they're the Silloute bendy ones!

People say contact lenses are more annoying than glasses. Is this true?

And at what age can you start wearing them? I tried on a sample and it wasn't that bad. It's just hard removing them and takes time. But hey practice makes perfect!

ReputationRep:
    when i had my practise session, i just wanted to give up but i eventually got them in and out, and within a day or two practising at home, i found it easy. i dk what clicked, it was basically just being able to keep your eye open and not letting the lense touch your lashes and not be scared of holding the lense on your eye.

i recomend you get dailies. they arent hassle at all. or you could get continuous lenses which you wear all the time for a month, therefore no hassle but you can infections with them but pretty good

ReputationRep:
    Woah why did my post get deleted??!

ReputationRep:
    I started about when I was 16.. should have started younger looking back!

But they are non-hassle and you will definitely get used to them and get faster at taking lenses in and out.

Only annoying thing is, I have monthlies so I have to take care of them carefully but if you get dailies you can just throw them out after use which would be more easy.

ReputationRep:
    yeah dont get monthlies because theyr a hassle i kept getting infections with them and now im just not allowed to wear them and dailies are god you just put them on and throw them away so no infections etc or worrying about cleaning the solution.
    i recommend the acuvue Johnsons (something like that) theyr good for your eyes and really comfortable
    species do the cheapest then other opticians and their still the same brand an everything

ReputationRep:
    You will be fine with monthlies as long as you are not a dog. Yeah, taking them out and cleaning them everyday is a bit of effort but I can do it so quickly now it aint much of an issue. As long as you maintain a decent level of hygiene i.e. wash your ******* hands you will minimize risk of infection. I wear dailies when i do water sports or for foam parties (high chance of losing them) etc and they aren't as comfortable as monthlies imo. If I was you I would also go to somewhere like specsavers to find out what kinda contacts you will need and then I would buy them off the internet. They are far far cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in regards to posts above, I have monthlies - they're brilliant! You wont get infections if you actually wash your hands and stop being a mucky pup , I think they're cheaper than daily ones too!

I wear my contacts pretty much all day every day, mostly wear my specs at night for the simple reason of it being a pain in the bum to wear specs especially when it rains! Or, infact, when it's so sunny and you can't even wear sunglasses!

Head to specsavers!!! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    The general idea of contact lenses is pretty good - I've enjoyed the vanity issue of having them, actually being able to look semi decent, and be able to just not worry about glasses. However, mine have been pretty ****, cause every few months there's been a lens which is dodgy, and the opticians (Specsavers) have dealt with it badly. Considering going elsewhere, but I dunno. Have an appointment on Monday with them...

Anyway, what happened to me is very rare, and contact lenses pretty much are a godsend, so go get yourself to an opticians!

ReputationRep:
    I've just started wearing them this past week, and I have to say it's been quite a revelation in some respects. I've never really enjoyed my glasses one bit and always felt chained by them - the effect on my confidence was not positive in my case. Last week, having put them in for the first time, I was sitting in the opticians like a giggling sad act reading license plates across the road. :p: The freedom to be able to do that without the need for specs was surprisingly moving.

To start with, I know in my own situation I was nearly ready to give up. I found it very, very tricky and patience is not a strong point of mine. But there are techniques to it, which you'll have to become acquainted with and adjudge what is right for you, and I personally found overcoming the ironic tension important. You need to be relaxed. Practically, it's more a matter of getting your eyes accustomed to touch - the blink reflex can be a nightmare to subdue. Like many things though, it's about keeping at it, and knowing that you can do it.

If I can, then I would think a rank idiot could.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the process of being fitted for ortho-k lenses (google it). You wear them at night, they gently reshape the front of your eye and you get 'perfect' vision when you take them out. Works for around a max of -4 myopia and -1.5 astigmatism. You just have to wear them every night or every other night to maintain the shape

ReputationRep:
    3 of my friends wear contact lenses. Two wear them constantly, one only wears them for parties. And jeez what a difference! Whilst some people suit glasses these three friends look gorgeous wearing the contacts. Only thing I will say is, after my friends wearing the contacts all day, by around 10pm their eyes sting and they have to take them out
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeh they do sting alot and sometimes i just can't be bothered. Glasses are so much more comfy.
    I wear monthlies basically because dalies cost so much more.
    The thing is not everyone can wear them and its up to your optician wheter you can get them or not. I just basically asked when i was 15 and he was like well you can try.
    They take alot of getting used to and for a while the novelty of looking better is great. but now. 2 and a half years on, i can't be bothered. I wear my glasses at home all the time and at work and i don't like wearing my contacts for driving.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I don't find contact lenses annoying at all, although they do take a while to get used to.
    It depends on the type you use as well - when I had ones that I had to put in every day I wouldn't bother half the time, especially when I had an early lecture. I now use the ones that you were for a month day and night, which are so much better. It's great being able to see clearly as soon as you wake up as well :p:.

ReputationRep:
    I love having contacts - I have two weeklies which I put in and take out every day. Tbh once you get used to doing it it just becomes another part of your routine, like brushing your teeth. Would definitely recommend contacts to anyone, only time I didn't wear them for a continuous period was when I had this weird allergy thing completely unrelated to my lenses. As long as you do everything the optician tells you to do you should be fine. Also you can wear non-prescription sunglasses! =D

Dailies might work for some... but I would never be able to stop thinking about all the waste!! (I like to think I'm pretty environmentally aware!)

I'm with D&A and they're good about it, I'm not sure how expensive they are (mum pays for them luckily) but I use their contact lens by post service, so I get a month's supply sent to me every month, and with that I get 50% of glasses and an aftercare check every year to make sure my prescription hasn't changed and the lenses are working fine.

Hope that helps!
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Don't buy them off the internet. Go to a respected Optician (like Specsavers) that has an aftercare service, where they frequently check the condition of your eyes, as contacts can restrict the oxygen flow to your eye surfaces, particularly if you wear them overnight (such as the monthly ones that you can leave in 24/7 for 30 days).

I can't stress enough about the importance of aftercare! I have corneal scarring from my contacts and am now banned from wearing them (except for superspecial occasions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duracell)
    I love having contacts - I have two weeklies which I put in and take out every day. Tbh once you get used to doing it it just becomes another part of your routine, like brushing your teeth. Would definitely recommend contacts to anyone, only time I didn't wear them for a continuous period was when I had this weird allergy thing completely unrelated to my lenses. As long as you do everything the optician tells you to do you should be fine. Also you can wear non-prescription sunglasses! =D

Dailies might work for some... but I would never be able to stop thinking about all the waste!! (I like to think I'm pretty environmentally aware!)

I'm with D&A and they're good about it, I'm not sure how expensive they are (mum pays for them luckily) but I use their contact lens by post service, so I get a month's supply sent to me every month, and with that I get 50% of glasses and an aftercare check every year to make sure my prescription hasn't changed and the lenses are working fine.

Hope that helps!
    xxxx
    Haha ditto, ditto, DITTO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    The general idea of contact lenses is pretty good - I've enjoyed the vanity issue of having them, actually being able to look semi decent, and be able to just not worry about glasses. However, mine have been pretty ****, cause every few months there's been a lens which is dodgy, and the opticians (Specsavers) have dealt with it badly. Considering going elsewhere, but I dunno. Have an appointment on Monday with them...

Anyway, what happened to me is very rare, and contact lenses pretty much are a godsend, so go get yourself to an opticians!
    I've had no problem with Specsavers... although my recent purchase, the contacts have a slight blue tint in them
    I think it just might have been some improvement in them so people can see the lenses if they fall off your finger or something.
    Which kind of lenses do you wear - the monthlies?

ReputationRep:
    I started wearing contact lenses at 17, hating glasses due to their look and the fact that they always seemed to need cleaning. At first, I loved them, but over the years I began to dislike them - in the morning I couldn't put them in until I was awake enough that my eyes wouldn't sting (so I'd be stumbling blindly for 20 mins at least) and in the evening it began to feel like an effort taking them out and sorting out cleaning.
    Then, a month or two ago, I found out that despite my best efforts, my lenses had damaged my right eye more. I went back to glasses, and have been loving them since - being able to put them on as soon as I wake up, and watch TV in bed without the effort of getting up again when I'm tired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    I've had no problem with Specsavers... although my recent purchase, the contacts have a slight blue tint in them
    I think it just might have been some improvement in them so people can see the lenses if they fall off your finger or something.
    Which kind of lenses do you wear - the monthlies?
    I think they've always had that blue tint... Lol, if they fall off your finger, then you've gotta put your glasses back on (or at least I do), and a tiny blue tint isn't gonna help much.

Yeah, I wear toric monthlies, cause of my astigmatism and such - apparently my lenses are the only ones of those prescription made or something stupid like that. Talking to the optician about it on monday though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    I don't find contact lenses annoying at all, although they do take a while to get used to.
    It depends on the type you use as well - when I had ones that I had to put in every day I wouldn't bother half the time, especially when I had an early lecture. I now use the ones that you were for a month day and night, which are so much better. It's great being able to see clearly as soon as you wake up as well :p:.
    I thought it was dangerous to sleep with your contacts on?:confused:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.