Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When you apply through UCAS for university, can the university's see where you have places them as in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or are the oblivious as to where you have ranked them on your UCAS form?

As there used to be a rumor that Durham wouldn't accept you if you had put Oxford/Cambridge as your first choice and Durham as your second.

Is this true?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardy_4_paws)
    When you apply through UCAS for university, can the university's see where you have places them as in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or are the oblivious as to where you have ranked them on your UCAS form?

As there used to be a rumor that Durham wouldn't accept you if you had put Oxford/Cambridge as your first choice and Durham as your second.

Is this true?

Thanks
    There isn't an order of rank, I believe on the UCAS form it arranges them alphabetically. The universities do not know where else you applied, or any rank you put them in (of which there isn't one). They may be able to *guess* that you've applied to Oxbridge if you're a good quality applicant applying before October 15th, but if they have any sense and don't want to lose top applicants they won't discriminate against you because of that. I applied to Oxford and Durham and got an offer from Durham, as do many, so I would think it is only a myth.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou! so somewhere like Edinburgh which only asks 3 B's but is a really good uni wouldn't know that you had put other unis with higher grades on your form as well?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware the universities do not know what other courses or universities you have applied to. UCAS 'ranks' the universities on track alphabetically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hardy_4_paws)
    Thankyou! so somewhere like Edinburgh which only asks 3 B's but is a really good uni wouldn't know that you had put other unis with higher grades on your form as well?
    They may assume say, you were predicted A,A,A that you may have applied to Oxbridge.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    UCAS orders then in UCAS codes, which is mostly alphabetical. A long time ago you used to have to pick choices in favourite order, and you still do for route B (art and design) courses.

However, some people say that unis guess that you are applying to Oxbridge if you apply before October 15th and are predicted high grades. This may or may not be true. But so many people are rejected from Oxbridge it wouldn't help much if they did guess correctly.q

ReputationRep:
    They can't see the order you have applied and even if they knew I doubt they woul reject you as you might not get into Oxford/ Cambridge. But...

...I was worried about this because the course I want to apply to (Linguistics) there are only 2 high offers (Cambridge A*AA UCL AAA) and the rest are ABB or lower on the different University websites. I have really high GCSE grades and will probably be predicted high A level grades (AAAA with maybe a few A*) and was thinking the Uni's with lower offers may wonder why I am applying to such a low offer and reject me . Although it might not matter as people seem to get into their insurance uni, which would be lower grade offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    They can't see the order you have applied and even if they knew I doubt they woul reject you as you might not get into Oxford/ Cambridge. But...

...I was worried about this because the course I want to apply to (Linguistics) there are only 2 high offers (Cambridge A*AA UCL AAA) and the rest are ABB or lower on the different University websites. I have really high GCSE grades and will probably be predicted high A level grades (AAAA with maybe a few A*) and was thinking the Uni's with lower offers may wonder why I am applying to such a low offer and reject me . Although it might not matter as people seem to get into their insurance uni, which would be lower grade offers.
    Think about it from their point of view. They want the best candidates they can get because it will allow them to achieve better results and to be more successful. The only way they can do this is to take a punt on people with higher predicted grades even if they know that you are unlikely to put them down. They'd be stupid to just turn you away. The universities have data from many years on the percentages of people who will turn them down and will over offer their places based on this experience (ie give out more offers than they have places). The uni with the lowest offer I applied to was practically begging me to go!

ReputationRep:
    I heard of someone who applied somewhere with predicted grades of A's and the uni has an average ask of BBB but they asked this applicant for AAA do you think this is unfair? and does it happen often?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.