Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been trying to get into contact with the folks over at Durham admissions since May but haven't had a reply because it is summer, therefore I figured I should a few questions I had here.

Durham is easily my top choice. I am absolutely in love with the uni in every way, but I am just unsure if I have a shot at an offer.
    (I am applying to Law and I am between Castle and Hatfield for colleges)
    I am doing both Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate but it seems that my AP UCAS tariff is going to be quite a bit higher than my IB one.
    I have taken 5 AP's so far:
    World history: 4, European History: 5, English: 5, Environmental Science: 3, US History: 5
    I got 750, 710, 720 on the SAT II's
    and I am 95% sure that my predicted IB grades will be 6's and 7's and for the 3 AP tests I am taking next year my predicted grades will probably be 5's (I know all these teachers and they have seen me work)
    with a great recommendation and my extracurriculars are a huge highlight

thus my AP UCAS tariff would be 730 with the 3 predicted and my IB tariff is only 652

which one will they use?

and also, my grades in my individual classes are not super great because at my school classes are 90% homework and 10% exams... Will Durham ask for my transcript?

Sorry its a lot of questions. I am just really curious. If anyone could help out that'd be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyhellothere)
    I have been trying to get into contact with the folks over at Durham admissions since May but haven't had a reply because it is summer, therefore I figured I should a few questions I had here.

Durham is easily my top choice. I am absolutely in love with the uni in every way, but I am just unsure if I have a shot at an offer.
    (I am applying to Law and I am between Castle and Hatfield for colleges)
    I am doing both Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate but it seems that my AP UCAS tariff is going to be quite a bit higher than my IB one.
    I have taken 5 AP's so far:
    World history: 4, European History: 5, English: 5, Environmental Science: 3, US History: 5
    I got 750, 710, 720 on the SAT II's
    and I am 95% sure that my predicted IB grades will be 6's and 7's and for the 3 AP tests I am taking next year my predicted grades will probably be 5's (I know all these teachers and they have seen me work)
    with a great recommendation and my extracurriculars are a huge highlight

thus my AP UCAS tariff would be 730 with the 3 predicted and my IB tariff is only 652

which one will they use?

and also, my grades in my individual classes are not super great because at my school classes are 90% homework and 10% exams... Will Durham ask for my transcript?

Sorry its a lot of questions. I am just really curious. If anyone could help out that'd be great
    hi there

i'm an american who's headed to durham for natural sciences this fall

i don't know whether they will ask for AP's or IB, as I only had AP's but if I had to guess they would go with your IB's as they understand that system much more than the advanced placement exams.

You look like you have a very very good chance at getting an offer with those grades and no, durham never asked for my high school transcript. I think I only need my diploma, which is good enough for me lol. I applied with three 5's and two 4's on previous AP tests and took 7 more senior year (got all 5's ) My SAT was 2190 and got 760, 740 and 720 on SAT II's.

I've seen people (americans) with much worse qualifications get an offer from durham. Some I know have gotten unconditionals, with only 2 or 3 AP's! But Law is a much more competitive subject, but from how I see it, you have a very good chance.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask
    and hopefully i'll see yah here next year

ETA oh and the UCAS tariff system is really only used by lower tier unis in their offers. Durham does not utilize it. So don't worry bout that

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh Thank you! That helps so much!
    Hopefully I'll see you there next year!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if i'm being an idiot, but isn't law kind of specific to the country it's taught in?

Or is that for the bar exams that you have to do it in the country / state you'll be practicing in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    Sorry if i'm being an idiot, but isn't law kind of specific to the country it's taught in?

Or is that for the bar exams that you have to do it in the country / state you'll be practicing in.
    Sort of. In England and Wales the universities genrally do 'qualifying law degrees' which exempt you from certain exams for both the BAr and the LAw Society. However the methodology you learn is transferable - and of course International law is...international :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyhellothere)
    Ahhhhh Thank you! That helps so much!
    Hopefully I'll see you there next year!
    no problem

plus, i gotta help a fellow californian!

ReputationRep:
    i applied with an american high school education (although i am a uk citizen) to go this fall and got an unconditional. all they wanted was my ap scores and sat scores. i gave them ap scores (5, 5, 4), 740 and 800 on subject tests, and a 2230 on the sat. the only thing they wanted was the ap scores and my sat score -thank god they didnt ask for GPA. judging by that id say you wont have any trouble. the main thing they care about is the ap scores i think, as its the closest thing to an english A level. maybe theyd base it more off IB scores, but i doubt it would hinder your chances.

i applied for bio by the way

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.