Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ive done a fair amount of research and have wittled it down to these 2 bodies.

Im not sure which one would be best. things i have read on here say ACA - (which means i would probably do AAT access course then go on to ACA) but friends say only good things about CIMA (which means i would do CIMA business accounting access course then go on to CIMA professional qualification)

Im currently in an unrelated job and will be studying by distance learning. I got good a - levels but also unrelated.

I was 99% CIMA but then i read some things that say 100% ACA.:confused:

Could someone just let me know the ins and outs. what exactly can u do with each qualification?? Job titles etc.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ACA has more to do with auditing and tax, whereas CIMA has more to do with management and strategy. Depends what you want to do really.

ReputationRep:
    You seem quite confused on what you want to do

Don't do a course because someone says it is better

ACA focuses on a broad range of business skills but is biased towards financial accounting, tax and audit - it is generally undertaken in a firm of accountants but sometimes in industry too

CIMA focueses on management accounting such as budgeting, variance analysis and more general management topics - you cannot be a registered auditor with CIMA, it is generally done in a firms finance dept rather than an accounting firm

ACCA is sort of in between

CIPFA is for public finance work

ACA is offered by a lot of big accounting firms, CIMA by a lot of big industry firms

Job title starting out is something like ACA - Accounts and Audit trainee, CIMA - management accounting trainee

ReputationRep:
    You've picked two qualifications which are used in completely different areas of accountancy so seems like you need to do some research on which you'd prefer to work in.

Or do ACCA and enjoy the best of both worlds.

ReputationRep:
    there is an AAT ACA fast track

http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm/route...ACA_fast_track

the main thing is that you get an employer to train you up

eg an accountancy firm or a big FTSE 100 that will put you on a CIMA course,

I'm neither of the above and I sort of teach myself (I do ACCA) and its very hard out there !!

at the end of the day your judged on your experience the qualifications are all pretty similar, but if you dont have the experience they tend to give big4 qualified accountants alot of a chance in different roles eg investment banking, financial analyst etc

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.