Turn on thread page Beta

Cancel your existing Orange contract! - For free, no matter how long the Contract! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Just a warning, don't be surprised if he gets a phonecall or letter from CPW.

The reason third parties can sell contracts and make a profit is because they receive commission every month for each contract. Obviously, once you cancel the contract, they don't get the commission anymore, and so aren't making money. And depending on the phone and contract length, could actually have lost money if they let you keep the phone.

I have no idea if he will actually end up being contacting by them, I just wouldn't be surprised if he is.
    If CPW have a problem with him cancelling his contract they'll have to take it up with Orange; as he wouldn't have been able to cancel the contract if they hadn't changed their Terms of Service.

There was no contract with CPW, so I don't see what point there would be sending him a letter. Legally I doubt they have a leg to stand on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    If CPW have a problem with him cancelling his contract they'll have to take it up with Orange; as he wouldn't have been able to cancel the contract if they hadn't changed their Terms of Service.

There was no contract with CPW, so I don't see what point there would be sending him a letter. Legally I doubt they have a leg to stand on.
    He did get the phone from them however, and as such agreed to their T&C's, which do state that if for any reason he cancels the contract, he would have to send the phone back, or pay for it in full.

ReputationRep:
    He did get the phone from them however, and as such agreed to their T&C's, which do state that if for any reason he cancels the contract, he would have to send the phone back, or pay for it in full.
    I've just checked and you are correct about that. Oh well, I'm sure he'll be happy to send them the phone back. It was a really awful phone anyway. The T&Cs don't mention anything about the PS3 though...

ReputationRep:
    I wish i could do this with T mobile...

Got until Nov 2010 with them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samperry209)
    I wish i could do this with T mobile...

Got until Nov 2010 with them!
    What's wrong with T-mobile? (planning on moving to them)

ReputationRep:
    I've just checked and you are correct about that. Oh well, I'm sure he'll be happy to send them the phone back. It was a really awful phone anyway. The T&Cs don't mention anything about the PS3 though...
    In the Phones 4 U T&Cs they don't state that you have to send the handset back, I don't think. Well, when I phoned them up he said the handset was mine and if I decide to terminate the contract with Orange, then the handset is still mine (He was under the impression i was gonna pay like £450 to do this, yeah right :rolleyes: ) So, I should be ok I think.

Still waiting for the text, I highly doubt i'll get it, i'm gonna give it a couple more days then try and cancel for the 6th time, yes 6th! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSB)
    In the Phones 4 U T&Cs they don't state that you have to send the handset back, I don't think. Well, when I phoned them up he said the handset was mine and if I decide to terminate the contract with Orange, then the handset is still mine (He was under the impression i was gonna pay like £450 to do this, yeah right :rolleyes: ) So, I should be ok I think.

Still waiting for the text, I highly doubt i'll get it, i'm gonna give it a couple more days then try and cancel for the 6th time, yes 6th! :mad:
    He got it from Carphone Warehouse though, not Phones4U. I know in the Orange contract it says the phone isn't part of the deal, but the CPW T&Cs state otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    GRRR! They refused to cancel me until I get the text on the 5th August! Meh!! She was nice though and said theat someone would call me on wednesday to cancel. But grrrrrrrrrrr! I wanted to go buy my phone now!!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm.. they just offered me Dolphin 30 for £20 plus internet and an extra 200 minutes if i stay with them. Shame, as i really hate my phone! Managed to cancel by distracting them with the fact that i am one of the first people they've come across who went over the 500mb by £15!

ReputationRep:
    He got it from Carphone Warehouse though, not Phones4U. I know in the Orange contract it says the phone isn't part of the deal, but the CPW T&Cs state otherwise.
    I can't find anywhere on the CPW website to state the phone would need returning.
    I no longer have the original phone I got the contract with, it went on eBay and I bought a sim-free phone from elsewhere, so what would happen if I cancelled?

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking now maybe I should just ask to downgrade my contract because it seems like they'll do anything to hang on to customers. I pay £35 atm, 600 mins, 500 texts and unlimited internet and email hmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chestercityfan)
    I can't find anywhere on the CPW website to state the phone would need returning.
    I no longer have the original phone I got the contract with, it went on eBay and I bought a sim-free phone from elsewhere, so what would happen if I cancelled?
    If you cancelled your contract 9 months after or before 9 months then you would have to return the handset back to them OR pay to purchase it (I think at a discounted price). If it was older than 9 months then the handset is yours. I think this is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSB)
    I'm thinking now maybe I should just ask to downgrade my contract because it seems like they'll do anything to hang on to customers. I pay £35 atm, 600 mins, 500 texts and unlimited internet and email hmm
    That's a good idea!

I'm on hold at the moment to see if i can negotiate a different handset, otherwise i'll stick with being cancelled and go with t-mobile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSB)
    If you cancelled your contract 9 months after or before 9 months then you would have to return the handset back to them OR pay to purchase it (I think at a discounted price). If it was older than 9 months then the handset is yours. I think this is right.
    Yep that's correct. According to their T&C's anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladydeborah)
    That's a good idea!

I'm on hold at the moment to see if i can negotiate a different handset, otherwise i'll stick with being cancelled and go with t-mobile.
    Tell us how it goes, I think threatening to quit and then saying, BUT I may stay if you can offer me a handset or charge me less for my contract etc etc because tbh I like my contract its enough minutes and texts, just way too much for £35 a month!

ReputationRep:
    Yep that's correct. According to their T&C's anyway.
    I just wish Phones 4 U were more explicit in their T&Cs regarding this too :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSB)
    Tell us how it goes, I think threatening to quit and then saying, BUT I may stay if you can offer me a handset or charge me less for my contract etc etc because tbh I like my contract its enough minutes and texts, just way too much for £35 a month!
    No luck on the phone, but they were more than happy to give me the 200 extra minutes and the £10 off my bill. Give that a go. May try again tomorrow or Tuesday, as it was the same woman who i cancelled with who i ended up talking to again when i rang back. Grrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chestercityfan)
    Almost certainly nothing. I really don't think CPW will try and get the phone back, but it seems they are within their rights to do so. If they did, you would have to pay them for the cost of the phone, minus any money you paid when you originally bought it.

Source: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sup...tion/cpw-terms

8. DEFAULT UNDER AND TERMINATION OF YOUR AIRTIME CONTRACT
    8.1. If (i) within 7 working days of receipt of your Equipment, you have failed to arrange connection of the Equipment to the Network, if not already connected, (ii) you move onto a tariff which offers a lower rate monthly subscription during the Minimum Period, (iii) your Network Operator ends the Airtime Contract in accordance with its terms (including not limited to where you have failed to fulfill your payment obligations during the Minimum Period), (iv) you end the Airtime Contract for any reason within 9 months (if your Minimum Period is 12 months or more) or within your Minimum Period (if your Minimum Period is less than 12 months) or (v) you have been issued with a new Mobile Phone to use in conjunction with your Airtime Contract for a new Minimum Period and you have not used the new Mobile Phone within 30 days of receipt, and the relevant tariff includes a discounted Mobile Phone/Smart Phone, you must in addition to paying any other charges under the Airtime Contract either:
    8.1.1. return the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone to us by sending it special delivery to Direct Returns, CPW Logistics Centre, Bilston Road, Wednesbury, W Midlands, WS10 7JN; or
    8.1.2. keep the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone, in which case you agree to pay us the amount of the discount being the handset only purchase price of the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone less the amount paid by you at the time of purchase for the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone.

ReputationRep:
    Almost certainly nothing. I really don't think CPW will try and get the phone back, but it seems they are within their rights to do so. If they did, you would have to pay them for the cost of the phone, minus any money you paid when you originally bought it.

Source: http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sup...tion/cpw-terms

8. DEFAULT UNDER AND TERMINATION OF YOUR AIRTIME CONTRACT
    8.1. If (i) within 7 working days of receipt of your Equipment, you have failed to arrange connection of the Equipment to the Network, if not already connected, (ii) you move onto a tariff which offers a lower rate monthly subscription during the Minimum Period, (iii) your Network Operator ends the Airtime Contract in accordance with its terms (including not limited to where you have failed to fulfill your payment obligations during the Minimum Period), (iv) you end the Airtime Contract for any reason within 9 months (if your Minimum Period is 12 months or more) or within your Minimum Period (if your Minimum Period is less than 12 months) or (v) you have been issued with a new Mobile Phone to use in conjunction with your Airtime Contract for a new Minimum Period and you have not used the new Mobile Phone within 30 days of receipt, and the relevant tariff includes a discounted Mobile Phone/Smart Phone, you must in addition to paying any other charges under the Airtime Contract either:
    8.1.1. return the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone to us by sending it special delivery to Direct Returns, CPW Logistics Centre, Bilston Road, Wednesbury, W Midlands, WS10 7JN; or
    8.1.2. keep the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone, in which case you agree to pay us the amount of the discount being the handset only purchase price of the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone less the amount paid by you at the time of purchase for the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone.

Thanks, looks like I'll be fine then, as I took out a 18 month contract back in September last year.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't really bothered about cancelling my contract but wanted extra minutes so I rang up and they were only too happy to double up my minutes on my contract. 1200 minutes and unlimited texts for £20 a month now. Result.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.