Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cancel your existing Orange contract! - For free, no matter how long the Contract! Watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by laura-rad)
    Who do I call about this? I called 150 and then 1, but then I didn't know what to go to. If I can't cancel it for free I want to ask about the termination charge because I really can't do with paying £30 a month on a phone I don't get signal on
    The termination charge is = to the remaining months on your contract.

I can't remember, but you can ask to be directed to the right department. Don't go easy on them. It's already under the Ts&Cs that you can cancel without charge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    The termination charge is = to the remaining months on your contract.

I can't remember, but you can ask to be directed to the right department. Don't go easy on them. It's already under the Ts&Cs that you can cancel without charge.
    Apparently they've now said that you can only cancel if you go over your minutes regularly or have phoned a number of 0800/0870 numbers, I've only rang one.

I'll wait and see what the update says tomorrow. Thanks anyway!

ReputationRep:
    This is awesome, I'm trying to get others I know to cancel theirs (especially one who needed it cancelled for financial reasons a few months ago and they obviously refused). I'm not on Orange though...

Anyone know what's happening with o2? I read they were putting their prices up today? Would be very nice if I could get out of it, can’t see anything in online billing though

ReputationRep:
    This is awesome. I'm getting my wife to cancel her contract but now wondering whether to get a new one or just a sim only plan hmmm

I've been refused twice now, once last night and once today when I got my mam to ring up on my behalf. Basically unless you are near the limit of your contract they are refusing to cancel saying they will only do so for those who will be immediately disadvantaged and that their legal teams are currently looking into it. Apparently this is due to a sub-clause saying they have the right to vary the contract. Daaamn

ReputationRep:
    For anyone not following the MSE thread:
    What has been said here is correct, orange are only letting people cancel if they have gone over their allowance or used 08xx in the past three months.

However, there are various UK laws (partly thanks to the EU), that mean legally, orange should have to let you cancel.
    Of course, arguing this over the phone won't help, as the call centre staff can only do what they have been told.
    According to a couple of people on that thread though, Orange's legal team had a meeting today, and a few people have now said that they are letting everyone cancel. Although if that is correct, not all their staff know about it yet.

So I'd say its worth another short tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Well guys i've given up, no text, called CS about 8 times and NOTHING

Do not give up people, all credit goes to mum for getting me cancelled but it is possible, just hammer on the fact that they can make as many changed as they like but you do not have to accept them and eventually they'll give in. Its taken me and my mum about 6 calls but I've saved 400 quid. I love the folk over at bitterwallet for their help

ReputationRep:
    Looks like Orange are no longer going ahead with the proposed price changes. People who have already had their pac code or requested it will still be allowed to leave with not disconecttion charges. Those who have not cancelled will no longer be able to cancel.
    Orange have issued a statement with the above confirmed:

See the links for confirmation:
    http://www.bitterwallet.com/orange-c...tatement/16638
    http://www.bitterwallet.com/bitterwa...-charges/16612
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...825687&page=92

Edit: I am one of the people who managed to cancel my contract after receiving the text, and am waiting for my number to be ported at some point today to Vodafone so will update when it happens, so hopefully will mean that they are still honouring their cancellations.

ReputationRep:
    Ha. I see this is going to be an example to all the other mobile networks out there!

ReputationRep:
    Oh well, so much for me saving £10 a month lol.
    It is nice to see a company back track on a price increase though, even if they only have done it to stop people cancelling.
    And I really hope orange give some of their customer support staff the sack. Some of the attitudes they have are disgusting and rude.

I'm still going to phone them today and try though. As under the Communications Act 2003 you are allowed to cancel due to any proposed price increases, I did phone, and was kept and hold then told I'd be phoned back by them, which I wasn't. So I may aswell see what they say. Perhaps try to get £20 credit or something lol.

ReputationRep:
    Damn! I heard o2 were changing theirs, but after the mass exodus from Orange they'll think twice now (and probably won't) :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I received my text yesterday finally but I'm still too scared to phone up but after reading the above posts is it even worth me trying to cancel??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *StarButterfly07*)
    I received my text yesterday finally but I'm still too scared to phone up but after reading the above posts is it even worth me trying to cancel??
    No can do, they're not going ahead with it.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I cancelled my contract, received my PAC code, used it when I signed a new contract with o2 but now I am terrified that my final bill is going to have 15 months worth of line rental if they are no longer changing their T&Cs... anyone know how I can find this out as my online account is no longer active?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sugar_Puff_Fairy)
    Ok, I cancelled my contract, received my PAC code, used it when I signed a new contract with o2 but now I am terrified that my final bill is going to have 15 months worth of line rental if they are no longer changing their T&Cs... anyone know how I can find this out as my online account is no longer active?
    Don't worry - you cancelled before they backtracked so you'll be fine

Yay new sim card came today, on orange PAYG now, had to clear my back fees but barring that no problem....bitterwallet are just awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I am extremely happy with mine, it's £20 a month, 500 free calls and unlimited free txts, plus two months off peak internet. I got an LG KP500 and its amazing, it took a little bit of time getting used to it but overall the phone is easy to use, txting is quick and i have downloaded lots of games and apps on mobile9.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NobodyElseWill)
    I am extremely happy with mine, it's £20 a month, 500 free calls and unlimited free txts, plus two months off peak internet. I got an LG KP500 and its amazing, it took a little bit of time getting used to it but overall the phone is easy to use, txting is quick and i have downloaded lots of games and apps on mobile9.
    Bumping an old thread much? :p:

Either way, Orange never changed the Ts&Cs, so only those quick enough got in there.

ReputationRep:
    what? is this convenient loophole no longer open? damn it. i'm really looking forward to a way to get out of my contract before Christmas - it doesn't end until May!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.