Turn on thread page Beta

Cancel your existing Orange contract! - For free, no matter how long the Contract! watch

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    I don't understand
    I am on a long Orange contract, recieved no text?
    How does this save me money?
    If you don't have the text, you can try cancelling but I guess you stand having a lower chance as clearly it doesn't affect your contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    If you don't have the text, you can try cancelling but I guess you stand having a lower chance as clearly it doesn't affect your contract.
    This may help for those of us without a text.

Spoiler:
    Show

You’re told you can only cancel if you’ve received a text message informing you of the changes - if you haven’t, you can’t

From what we can tell, the changes in charges are for all pay monthly contracts that commenced sometime after the end of May. A text message has been sent to some (but seemingly not all) customers informing them of the changes. Some customers are being told that if they haven’t received the text then either a) they can’t cancel, or b) they aren’t eligible to cancel, or c) they will have to wait until they receive a text.

Let’s take a quick look at two points in the contract:

4.3 In such cases [of wishing to terminate your contract] you would need to give us at least 14 days written notice prior to your Billing Date (and within one month of us telling you about the changes).

16.1 We regard you as having been given any information if it is either:
    a) included in a mailing addressed to you
    b) by voicemail, email text or other form of electronic message sent by us to your Device
    c) communicated directly by any means.

What this means is that if changes are been made that affect your contract, then you don’t need to receive a text - an operator communicating the changes directly over the phone is sufficient.

Action to take

If you’ve been told that you can only cancel if you’ve received a text, then politely ask: “Will the increases in call charges affect me?”

If the answer is no, then ask why not. Get a specific reason - it may be addressed by another point in this guide. You might be told you don’t exceed your minute allowance, for example - in which case, see above.

If the answer is yes, then point out clause 16.1 of your Orange contract states that you can be informed of the changes by any agreed method, which includes direct communication with Orange. You’ve just been informed of the changes over the phone, and so you don’t need to receive a text.

However, some comments have suggested that Orange are deliberately staggering the texts, which means there may be a valid reason as to why you haven’t received one yet. If the operator still refuses and requests you wait until a text is sent, ask for a specific date when the text will be sent. It has to be before mid-August so you have 30 days to give notice. Agree that if you don’t receive it on this date, that you can call back and cancel. Take the operator’s full name and then ask for a note to be put on your account. If you have to call back again, point out that Orange are already in breach of contract by refusing to let you cancel.

“Spoke to CS and quoted the price increase saying that I’d heard it from a friend. They confirmed that the increase would affect me BUT, I had to wait until I had received a text as they have a “system” in place which means that those who have received the text will be able to cancel without the danger of still being charged the rest of the contract. I didn’t believe this and told her so but she was insistent that I had to wait for a text.” Theo

http://www.bitterwallet.com/cancelli...ng-guide/15849

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSB)
    I've tried finding any information on their website, but I can't seem to find anything :confused: might have to dig through the long ass contract I signed with them by paper :rolleyes:
    http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/sup...tion/cpw-terms

8. DEFAULT UNDER AND TERMINATION OF YOUR AIRTIME CONTRACT
    8.1. If (i) within 7 working days of receipt of your Equipment, you have failed to arrange connection of the Equipment to the Network, if not already connected, (ii) you move onto a tariff which offers a lower rate monthly subscription during the Minimum Period, (iii) your Network Operator ends the Airtime Contract in accordance with its terms (including not limited to where you have failed to fulfill your payment obligations during the Minimum Period), (iv) you end the Airtime Contract for any reason within 9 months (if your Minimum Period is 12 months or more) or within your Minimum Period (if your Minimum Period is less than 12 months) or (v) you have been issued with a new Mobile Phone to use in conjunction with your Airtime Contract for a new Minimum Period and you have not used the new Mobile Phone within 30 days of receipt, and the relevant tariff includes a discounted Mobile Phone/Smart Phone, you must in addition to paying any other charges under the Airtime Contract either:
    8.1.1. return the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone to us by sending it special delivery to Direct Returns, CPW Logistics Centre, Bilston Road, Wednesbury, W Midlands, WS10 7JN; or
    8.1.2. keep the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone, in which case you agree to pay us the amount of the discount being the handset only purchase price of the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone less the amount paid by you at the time of purchase for the Mobile Phone/Smart Phone.
    Important bits in bold.
    Or in english, if your on a 12 month contract and you cancel, you have to pay CPW for the phone or send it back. Or if your withint 9 months of a 18 or 24 month contract you'll have to pay for the phone or send it back.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who is happy with their Orange contract and seldom (if ever) calls 0870 numbers?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    Am I the only one who is happy with their Orange contract and seldom (if ever) calls 0870 numbers?!
    I was until i got charged £20 for going over my "unlimited internet" :mad: I know it's fair usage and all that, but come on! Nothing to do with the new charges, just peed off with Orange :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    Okay fair enough, I read the post below also. My phone is on an 18 month contract, I have 6 more months to go maybe I don't qualify. As long as they don't start charging me more
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I just want to save some cash. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)

Important bits in bold.
    Or in english, if your on a 12 month contract and you cancel, you have to pay CPW for the phone or send it back. Or if your withint 9 months of a 18 or 24 month contract you'll have to pay for the phone or send it back.
    Hi there, is this the same for Phones4u?

Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Gutted! pee-mobile for me!

ReputationRep:

Important bits in bold.
    Ah, crap. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted eh! Ive only had my contract 3 months so yeah I fall way short for that. I wouldn't buy the phone because its a Blackberry Curve and they're so expensive lol. Good luck to everyone else though =]

Oh and i'll give you some rep when I can thanks for that! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    OMG I MUST BE THE BIGGEST **** ALIVE I SWEAR, I'M ON PHONES 4 U NOT CPW HAHA But, I imagine they have roughly the same policy as CPW??

ReputationRep:
    So do the reps at Orange argue back with you? Im a bit usless arguing on the phone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSB)
    Ah, crap. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted eh! Ive only had my contract 3 months so yeah I fall way short for that. I wouldn't buy the phone because its a Blackberry Curve and they're so expensive lol. Good luck to everyone else though =]

Oh and i'll give you some rep when I can thanks for that! :yes:
    Thats ok lol
    My contract is with mobiles.co.uk, who are part of CPW, so have the same T&C's. I'm in the same position in that my phone (xperia x1) is too expensive really lol

edit - just saw your post. rofl. I have no idea. I would suspect so, but the only way of knowing is to check

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GGecko)
    Hi there, is this the same for Phones4u?

Much appreciated.
    I would also like to know this :o: :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    Thats ok lol
    My contract is with mobiles.co.uk, who are part of CPW, so have the same T&C's. I'm in the same position in that my phone (xperia x1) is too expensive really lol

edit - just saw your post. rofl. I have no idea. I would suspect so, but the only way of knowing is to check
    I'm actually such a retard for doing that :o:

ReputationRep:
    Look at this website it has really good info on it http://www.bitterwallet.com/orange-i...contract/15723

ReputationRep:
    you jammy buggers. wish i was on orange

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to doing this tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    OP, expect + rep!!!!

does anyone have a copy of the text they could post in here? don't think i've had it but if i have i'm pretty sure i'll have deleted it!!!!! would be greatly appreciated!

thanks OP and good luck to everyone doing this! could someone let us know how they got on once they've called too?

ReputationRep:
    I'm very, very confused. I don't know what prior means, see.

I just got a contract on Orange like, on Monday, will I be okay? Use simple words, for I are simple too

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.