Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cancel your existing Orange contract! - For free, no matter how long the Contract! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just cancelled

The first time i called I got through to the helpdesk who told me it was only 070 numbers that were increasing.

The second time i got through to Disconnections and it sounded like they're having a terrible month. The lady tried to convince me to stay but I made my intentions clear and she put through the DC.

I really wanted to tell her that I wasn't cancelling for the free phone. Just that I am going to France for 5 months in winter and this has saved me £125 in contract that i'd have had to pay while i'm out there. With a 30day rolling from T-mobile i can save a fiver a month, get internet and cancel for when i leave the country. HUZZAH!

ReputationRep:
    RESULT!!! Thanks to you guys I cancelled my contract!!
    this is how the convo went:

ME Hi i would like to disconnect my phone because of the txt i received regarding the charges
    HER No i see on my data that you never received the txt
    ME Yes i received it last week on my other number, and i would like to end that contract
    HER No, thats impossible as we only started sending the txt this week
    ME I am telling you i received the txt!!!
    HER Whats the number for that contract then?
    Me 07...........
    HER Im going to put you on
    ---------1 minute later-----------------
    HER Hi, yes we did send a txt to that number. Your contract has been cancelled and will end on the 30th of august.
    ME Ok, thank you, bye

Then I got a bit worried she was messing about with me so after 5 mins i called again to double check

ME Hi I just wanted to check that my number has been disconnected
    HIM Erm no on our system it appears that it hasnt
    ME Oh, strange, can I disconnect it then please
    HIM Why do you want to disconnect it??!!
    ME Because of the txt I received. An increase in charges of 300% is not good in my books
    HIM But you do know we are still the cheapest in the market?! This is happening only because we told our customers. vodafone and o2 and... didnt! We are still the cheapest!
    ME Hmm, I still want to cancel it, I have got two contracts with you and I dont use this as much so I want to cancel it.
    HIM You are shooting yoursel in the foot! what network are you going to go to?! we are still the best!
    ME I want to end my contract!!
    HIM Fine, did you receive the envelope to send the phone back to us?
    ME What??!!!! (had to think fast here) No, I dont have to send anything back, the phone was free.
    HIM Yes, if you stay with us for the duration of the contract, 18 months
    ME Yes, you are right, but it says under terms and conditions that if the charges are increased, which has happened, i can end my contract
    HIM (he finally gave up) Ok your contract will end on the 1st of september
    ME Ok, you sure? its all written yeh? Its all gone through??
    HIM yes you will receive a letter in the next 7 days

I will call them tomorrow to triple check again!!
    haha I only went on my second contract in april because i wanted a blackberry, and i ended up paying £75 a month for both contracts! But now i got what I wanted! a free phone and im still on my 1st contract! result!!!

ReputationRep:
    I have just cancelled mine, spoke to a women which makes it a little easier. Will be terminated by the 30th of August. I will apparently be receiving my pay as you go sim in the next 20 days? Gees thats somewhat of slow delivery.

ReputationRep:
    Nice. Mine ends Nov, but was thinking of leaving anyway. I haven't received any text from them though. :sad:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Don't really understand the point of canceling? I mean, its only to 0870 numbers and if you use minutes outside of the amount you are contracted to.

for me, paying something like £10 a month for unlimited texts and 200 minutes it is better to stay with Orange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Nice. Mine ends Nov, but was thinking of leaving anyway. I haven't received any text from them though. :sad:
    If you’ve been told that you can only cancel if you’ve received a text, then politely ask: “Will the increases in call charges affect me?”

If the answer is no, then ask why not. If you're on contract then it will affect you.

If the answer is yes, then point out clause 16.1 of your Orange contract states that you can be informed of the changes by any agreed method, which includes direct communication with Orange. You’ve just been informed of the changes over the phone, and so you don’t need to receive a text.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I might try this, I'm moving into a basement flat next month and I don't get signal in my room but Vodafone and O2 do...

I haven't got a text though

ReputationRep:
    I just rang up and they seemed more than willing to let me go

I'm too attached to Orange. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    If you’ve been told that you can only cancel if you’ve received a text, then politely ask: “Will the increases in call charges affect me?”

If the answer is no, then ask why not. If you're on contract then it will affect you.

If the answer is yes, then point out clause 16.1 of your Orange contract states that you can be informed of the changes by any agreed method, which includes direct communication with Orange. You’ve just been informed of the changes over the phone, and so you don’t need to receive a text.
    Fair do. Nice one.

My next issue is... why bother? I seldom use the net, and never really call 0870 numbers. Also, whilst I'd like a new phone, the only interesting thing out there is the HTC Hero, whereas in a few months time, there'll be a plethora of phones for christmas. Might just wait and see what I can get... Hmmm....

ReputationRep:
    Ok. I've been reading this thread and this sounds good, just want to make sure it'll work for me.

I got my contract in February, so it runs out next August. The phone was crap though, so recently I bought an unlocked PAYG Sony W995 from Carphone Warehouse for a lot of money. So in theory I could cancel my Orange contract, take the new phone back to Carphone Warehouse then get the same phone with a new contract? If the answer's yes then I'll save loads.

ReputationRep:
    I just rang up! Took less than 3 minutes =]

I just said "I'm thinking about cancelling my contract," he told me it had until Feb 2010 and I said, "I received a text -." Then he just said, "oh you received a text did you?", I said yes, and he said he could either terminate it tomorrow or send me a PAC code which cancels the contract when it's used!

YES!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    I just rang up! Took less than 3 minutes =]

I just said "I'm thinking about cancelling my contract," he told me it had until Feb 2010 and I said, "I received a text -." Then he just said, "oh you received a text did you?", I said yes, and he said he could either terminate it tomorrow or send me a PAC code which cancels the contract when it's used!

YES!
    Does the PAC code make your phone pay as you go and is it free ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foster88)
    Does the PAC code make your phone pay as you go and is it free ?
    No, you give the PAC code to another network if you want to transfer your number. After that I think the orange sim card may turn to pay as you go, I'm not sure

But yes, getting the code is free

ReputationRep:
    That's brilliant. Been looking for a way out of my contract for weeks!

Can't get hardly any signal with Orange so this is just what I needed.

Oh, and if they give you hassle (luckily I was all right), just say that you've read their T&Cs and quote;

4.3 You may also terminate your Contract if we vary its terms, resulting in an excessive increase in the Charges or changes that alter your rights under this Contract to your detriment. In such cases you would need to give us at least 14 days written notice prior to your Billing Date (and within one month of us telling you about the changes). However this option does not apply if:

4.3.1 we have increased the Charges by an amount equal to or less than the percentage increase in the All Items Index of Retail Prices published by the Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics in any 12 month period;"

And if they try and get you to send the phone back (like some people have had problems with), just refer them back to their T&Cs (poor Orange, dug their own grave with this one);

"14 Devices

your Device is not a part of your Contract

14.1 Your Device and Accessories are acquired by you outside the terms of your Contract. "

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GGecko)
    LOL quick question buddy, we won't have to pay any cancellation fee will we at all? And no buy out amount at all right? - I forgot to ask, as I assumed this, but obviously not if its caused such an issue! - 2 million people are expected to cancel!
    No you won't have to pay anything, it's considered a significant change in their T&Cs so you're allowed to cancel for free.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a really good contract with Orange - £35 per month for unlimited texts and 1200 minutes. Why is everyone rushing to change? I basically never run out of minutes or messages so never have to pay any extra. I'm just a bit confused...I'm right in thinking I should just stick with what I've got as the price changes won't effect me anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stace-is-Ace)
    I'm on a really good contract with Orange - £35 per month for unlimited texts and 1200 minutes. Why is everyone rushing to change? I basically never run out of minutes or messages so never have to pay any extra. I'm just a bit confused...I'm right in thinking I should just stick with what I've got as the price changes won't effect me anyway?
    I think it is more the fact you can cancel your existing contract without a charge and keep your phone then get a new contract with a similare deal which is getting evryone to quit, so u can basically get a new phone in essence for free

ReputationRep:
    OMGGGG THANKS!!

firstly you have to cancel within 30days of the text.

i just cancelled my contract. no questions asked!.......! just started a few months ago!

the best thing to do if you want to keep your number.
    ring them now to cancell the contract at the end of the current month, and ask to be sent a p&g sim and keep the number on there.
    then this will ensure you do not loose your current number because if they send you a pak code then you have a few weeks to get a new phone and apply it, because if you dont you have agreed with orange to the new deal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foster88)
    I think it is more the fact you can cancel your existing contract without a charge and keep your phone then get a new contract with a similare deal which is getting evryone to quit, so u can basically get a new phone in essence for free
    I've not got a text about it though. I really wanted a new phone cos mine's being a bit stupid and I've still got another year left on my contract. I dunno if I can afford the hassle of changing though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.