Turn on thread page Beta

Criminology then a law coversion course then the bvc, good or bad idea? watch

ReputationRep:
    If i completed a criminology degree, took a law conversion course and finished my bvc, would this limit my career options ? In the sense that :

Would employers only think i'd only be suitable for criminal law because i had done a criminology degree beforehand? So i may not be able to go into commercial law etc.

I wouldnt really think it would cause any problems (because peeople do conversion courses after doing totally law unrelated subjects), just trying to think of any possible benefits/problems in the longrun.

Appreciate any opinions
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It shouldn't cause any problems in the sense that you're thinking; in theory you could enter the legal profession having studied any subject at degree level providing that you had completed the GDL - which combined with either the LPC/BVC and then a training contract or pupilage provides you with a sufficient foundation from which to practise almost any area of the law. Having said that, there is still a certain degree of snobbery, particularly at the Bar and most graduates from non-legal backgrounds tend to have studied "traditional" subjects such as History, Economics or English. Your route is certainly viable though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I was looking at the course content for criminology and it seems quite interesting. My only worry is that on its own the job prospects available after the degree don't seem very interesting :/ (e.g.prohibation officer etc :l), I would love to study it and do the GDL but just worried that if for some reason I couldnt take the GDL (like the inns of courts not willing to accept many GDL students or other reasons) I would be stuck with this degree which will have little use to me. But again I say it does look interesting :l.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pk12345)
    Thanks. I was looking at the course content for criminology and it seems quite interesting. My only worry is that on its own the job prospects available after the degree don't seem very interesting :/ (e.g.prohibation officer etc :l), I would love to study it and do the GDL but just worried that if for some reason I couldnt take the GDL (like the inns of courts not willing to accept many GDL students or other reasons) I would be stuck with this degree which will have little use to me. But again I say it does look interesting :l.
    Have you considered doing a joint honours Law and Criminology degree instead? You'd get the best of both worlds that way and I think that quite a lot of Law schools offer this course as well. I know that Manchester and Cardiff university definitely do but there will be full details on the UCAS website.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was considering that too. I think im liking the look of Social Policy and Criminology. Do you think im just being paranoid about there being possible changes in 3 years time to the GDL stopping me from doing it. Some rumours i hear just make me wary (i suppose rumours is the key word:p:)

I think ill go the GDL route,also im not sure but is it true that it could make my chances of gaining employment higher in comparison to standard BA law students because of the fact employers would see i completed a Social Policy and Criminology degree beforehand and would think that i might be able to bring in "additional skills", or from you're experience would you say it's more of a myth. or is this scenario really unlikely to happen because of my choice of course. You can be blunt, i dont mind In fact BE BLUNT ! REALLY BLUNT :yep:

Appreciate the help Mr Deeds, this probably is my last assault of questions ... honest :rolleyes:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by pk12345)
    Yeah I was considering that too. I think im liking the look of Social Policy and Criminology. Do you think im just being paranoid about there being possible changes in 3 years time to the GDL stopping me from doing it. Some rumours i hear just make me wary (i suppose rumours is the key word:p:)

I think ill go the GDL route,also im not sure but is it true that it could make my chances of gaining employment higher in comparison to standard BA law students because of the fact employers would see i completed a Social Policy and Criminology degree beforehand and would think that i might be able to bring in "additional skills", or from you're experience would you say it's more of a myth. or is this scenario really unlikely to happen because of my choice of course. You can be blunt, i dont mind In fact BE BLUNT ! REALLY BLUNT :yep:

Appreciate the help Mr Deeds, this probably is my last assault of questions ... honest :rolleyes:
    I haven't heard any of the rumours relating to the GDL - I'm pretty sure they're not true though. The Law society has started a campain to discourage people entering the legal profession but that's largely because of the state of the economy and the degree of competition for training contracts and pupilages, etc. Hopefully, that shouldn't really affect you four or five years down the line.

Similarly, those who go down the GDL as opposed to the LLB route are not really in any better or worse position. It's probably fair to say that roughly 50% of lawyers haven't studied for a law degree before and it's also true that firms do like the fact that a good percentage of their employees have a background in something other than law. But, it's probably not true that someone with a BA Law degree is any worse off than someone with a degree in Criminology.

I think you should study something which you're genuinely interested in - you'll be more inclined to do well and work hard if you actually enjoy it. At the end of the day, the extent to which you do well is more important than whether or not you've studied one of their "preferred" degrees and it will look a lot better at interview if you can show a genuine enthusiasm for your work.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.