Turn on thread page Beta

What do you most appreciate about good teachers? watch

• View Poll Results: Best thing about a good teacher?
    Willing to have a laugh
    21.57%
    Patience
    1.96%
    Kindness
    1.96%
    Ability to inspire
    29.41%
    Ability to keep control
    5.88%
    Willing to go beyond the call of duty to help others
    19.61%
    Doesn't shout
    0%
    Is not sarcastic
    1.96%
    Does not favouritise
    1.96%
    Uses lots of different teaching techniques
    0%
    Explains things well
    9.80%
    Ability to listen
    5.88%

ReputationRep:
    I happen to be a teacher myself (not a class teacher, but I'm still interested in the class situation), and wondered what pupils appreciate the most in a good teacher. Good humour, patience, ability to keep control, ability to inspire...what do you think is the most important thing?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say the ones that push you, don't pick on you, and devide their attention equally are the best ones.

ReputationRep:
    friendly yet strict.
    ability to communicate on a personal level and make jokes.
    Use of background knowledge and personal life to an extent

ReputationRep:
    The teacher's that actually listen to their student's.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say all of those things make lessons more enjoyable (especially humour!) but I think that the good teachers are the ones who obsessively chase you up with work if you miss a lesson (for whatever reason) because, while it's annoying returning to school from a holiday to be greeted by a pile of Latin (has happened to me ), you never end up behind. Not sure if this was the type of answer you were olloking for but you've got it now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I know my favourite teachers have been the ones who have inspired me. The ones who are really passionate about what they do.

Like my Media Studies teacher for example, she is so passionate about the ethics and technicalities of the media, where as I hated the stuff. However, I've become much more interested in how media affects our lives etc. because she's kinda rubbed off on me.

So yeah, be passionate. It's the best thing a teacher can do (aside from really listening to kids, rather than just throwing them out at the drop of a hat).

ReputationRep:
    Ones that don't give up on you and those who show their enthusiasm encourage you to do the same for the subject.

For example, my politics teacher really loved the subject and he encouraged us to read further into it by making lessons fairly interesting whilst still pushing us to get good grades. This created a healthy intellectual atmosphere in class and has translated into genuine interest for the subject for many and high achievement in exams.

My english teacher on the other hand said in January that if there was a 10-1 chance of me getting a B in the subject she would put £100 on it. I wasn't there at the time but she knew that I would find out and said it anyway. It didn't really bother me too much as I was 2 marks off an A in my AS grade so the statement was stupid but it was representative of her unorganised, unenthusiastic teaching. She pretty much gave up on the whole class because of a few lay abouts we had and I'm sure that will show itself on results day. Ergh.

e: professionalism is also something really important to me. My media studies teacher was v professional about his job and expected the same from the pupils. It was annoying in the first year but you realise it's all for a good reason in the second when you're learning about some difficult theories and he's really showing off his expertise. Good teacher!

ReputationRep:
    their passion, they should be teaching the subject because they want to, not because they have to.
    my science teacher in yrs 10 and 11 was so passionate that it made me realise i love science! he would get so excited when he talked about it and would often get too carried away and we'd only cover half the syllabus.

his humour was good also, he could control the class by having good banter about his geeky ways

ReputationRep:
    Come on people, vote on the poll please!

ReputationRep:
    it also helps if they're pleasant to look at, drool..

ReputationRep:
    Effort and generally enjoying their job

ReputationRep:
    heres just a few of the things i think are great about (most) of my teachers...

they treat you like equals, and with respect
    they are prepared to spend as long as you want going over things you dont get
    they have a passion for their subject and their job
    they have a sense of humour

ReputationRep:
    A good teacher uses their passion well, but not to an extreme that makes it seem obsessive. They understand the difficulties of students learning and offer to help those who struggle most while continuing to challenge those with undoubted talent.

ReputationRep:
    are you a tuiton kinda teacher? my cousin does that and shes also a class teacher
    her students get amazing grades but shes really strict and her trick apparntly is when the students are being really stupid even though she really wants to laugh just kepe a straight face act serious and do your job =)

ReputationRep:
    The ones that get you revising and get syou the grades.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers who actually know what they are talking about, at a deeper depth than the syllabus. I had a geography teacher in year 12 and 13 and she was diabolical. I swear all she did was produce a cheap nasty slideshow which took her about 10 minutes every night, just plainly regurgitating the textbook. So frustrating, i learnt more from my classmates than that cow!

ReputationRep:
    Ability to inspire. I want a teacher who speaks of quantum physics as if the world would not be the same without it, I want to hear about the greatness of the Latin language even though I'll never use it, I want my English teacher to inspire me to use words as gifts and weapons, I want my maths teacher to engage me in a race to finish my exercise.

I want teachers who actually believe their subject makes a difference. I want a teacher who really believes teaching their subject will improve the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    The ones that get you revising and get syou the grades.
    Amen to that, grades are ultimately the most important factor. Last year in year 13 i had such a 'safe' english teacher, clearly intelligent and easy to joke about with, but in truth was not the greatest teacher unable to control the class. Had a laugh though, mainly due to him being Irish.

ReputationRep:
    it's all about organisation for me - a teacher with a very structured course is usually best - but that only comes from a teacher who knows their subject to insane levels of depth but is able to relate it to a student friendly level - these teachers are also very good at pushing you and motivating you I find

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    are you a tuiton kinda teacher? my cousin does that and shes also a class teacher
    her students get amazing grades but shes really strict and her trick apparntly is when the students are being really stupid even though she really wants to laugh just kepe a straight face act serious and do your job =)
    I teach the flute and recorder; I give individual and group lessons in schools and in private.

I'm not really strict, though my pupils do get good exam results and I get very positive feedback from concerts I'm practically incapable of shouting - I used to hate being shouted at so much at school that I just can't do it to my own pupils unless I'm extremely provoked (which thankfully is only very rarely!)

I would say the most important things a teacher has to do is be passionate about their subject, inspire pupils, communicate ideas well, keep control, have a sense of humour...and have boundless amounts of patience. (I should know, I have to teach 5 year olds the recorder :eek: lol).

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.