Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you most appreciate about good teachers? Watch

• View Poll Results: Best thing about a good teacher?
    Willing to have a laugh
    21.57%
    Patience
    1.96%
    Kindness
    1.96%
    Ability to inspire
    29.41%
    Ability to keep control
    5.88%
    Willing to go beyond the call of duty to help others
    19.61%
    Doesn't shout
    0%
    Is not sarcastic
    1.96%
    Does not favouritise
    1.96%
    Uses lots of different teaching techniques
    0%
    Explains things well
    9.80%
    Ability to listen
    5.88%

ReputationRep:
    oh wow 5 year olds =|
    i could never be a teacher plainly coz im not patient enough to keep repeating stuff again and again lol

ReputationRep:
    I teach all ages; the 5 year olds are a bit too young really to be learning but I didn't have any choice. They are very tiring and I do have to repeat things a lot but still, they can be very sweet, when not trying to hit each other with their recorders that is :p: and a few are quite talented

ReputationRep:
    ''friendly yet strict.
    ability to communicate on a personal level and make jokes.
    Use of background knowledge and personal life to an extent''

Thats in a way exactly what my chemistry teacher is like. She can keep control of the class without having to even raise her voice- everyone feels the need to be quiet and listen automatically but at the same time she makes jokes through the whole lesson and uses her own personal experiences at uni to make things interesting.

I think a good teacher is one who has several of those traits in the poll. One who can have a laugh, is kind, goes beyond what is necessary to help, can keep control of the class and is passionate about what they do which can inspire pupils. :yes: If they love their subject it makes the world of difference to a lesson. I really respect teachers like that.

ReputationRep:
    Hard to pick just one.

My current favourite teacher does not pressurise me to do well - unlike my biology teacher "I'm expecting an A from you young lady" but is still supportive of my goals & makes me believe I can achieve them. He is able to keep control of the class without much effort (I can't STAND noisey classes with people chatting through them) and is always well prepared and will explain things as many times as you need him to in different ways. He will not give you help outside of lesson time, literally would not talk to me when I wanted help with homework, would never stay late for a revision class or similar, but his classes are so good you don't really need them, and if you ask him for help during class with something you struggled with at home he'll give it to you. Most importantly of all, he really shows his passion for his subject, and has made me love it too.

ReputationRep:
    You should have made it a poll where you can vote for more than one. :sad: The best teachers have a combination of these qualities.

ReputationRep:
    Ability to actually be able to teach.

ReputationRep:
    I like the teachers that have passion for their subject, I find them truly inspiring. I also appreciate ones who can communicate well and have a lot of patience

ReputationRep:
    I hate sarcasm in a teacher.
    It is so highly unprofessional.
    My friends can be sarcastic at me all day, and I won't care.
    But as soon as a teacher starts, it actually hurts!

The best thing about good teachers is that they will never be sarcastic - in my opinion!
    Though I see that very few of you agree! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I must admit I thought more people would go for 'does not favouritise'.

ReputationRep:
    Able to inspire and to encourage me to achieve my best.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.