Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Unbiased review of SS *long* watch

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: All the observations I made about Starting Strength applied to me. This review is meant to inform readers about the strengths and weaknesses of the program as I see them. People are different, and what works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

I will assume the reader is familiar with the program, so I will not go into that.

Strengths:

The program is excellent for increasing your squat and deadlift 5RMs

Progression is lightning quick. 7.5KG on your squat 5RM per week is extremely quick progress for anyone

3 days a week full body is easy to schedule

The program is very simple to follow provided the equipment is there

I found it a good introduction into weightlifting

Weaknesses:

The program becomes brutal fairly quickly, especially if your squat is already ahead of your other lifts which can lead to recovery issues (novices tend have poor work capacity)

Power cleans are technical and as such often require a coach for learning the correct technique

To maintain the sort of progress the program calls for, alot of food needs to be consumed, which tends to rapid weight gain

The program didn't do too much for my bench press or OH press

The program does not tend to work well with cardiovascular activities, since the frequency and intensity of squatting leaves your legs fatigued throughout the week

The lifts can get boring and repetitive since the program does not call for any sort of variation or customization (rightly so, since it is a cookie cutter)

For pressing movements and cleans microloading becomes essential to maintain progress, which is difficult to account for when you factor that not all plates and bars in your commerical gym will weigh exactly what they should!

Rest periods can becomes pretty long (5-7 mins) on those really hard final sets, and workouts can become pretty lengthy as you reach stalling point on certain exercises

Conclusion:

If you are interested in gaining strength fast as a priority above CV and your physique, SS is a great option. All the lifts performed are undoubtedly core movements that form the basics of most programs out there. If you play a sport competitively, SS probably isn't best for you in season. If you are primarily interested in your physique SS probably will not give you that bodybuilder look anytime soon.

Feel free to argue any of the points. I feel that anecdotal evidence is the best way to share information in weightlifting.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go through the starting strength route although it is often the norm to recomend people this program when starting out. I'm not going to argue any points as most of my opinion is formed on what I've read and no practicality.

However my understanding is that it is a routine for beginners and just to improve your overall strength and help your form, and understand the essentialness in compact exercises and what not. I don't think (?) it's that long a program in the general scheme of things and so although I can see the exercises becoming boring after a while, they give people a good basis to form around future routines.

So many people get noobie gains from going in and bicep curling and bench pressing, but then they hit the wall. This program has taught you core movements and exercises and so now you can add them isolation exercises into the routine and change it to keep it interesting.

My two cents, but others will have alot more viewpoints I'm sure!

ReputationRep:
    rippletoe explains himself its just for starting, if your doing sport and you can't lift anything its still a good starter, but when you do gain strength you can develop the routine with sufficient knowledge.

Interesting read definately something to read if your starting SS

ReputationRep:
    lulz i thought this was about nazi's my bad :P

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree with much in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshp1407)
    lulz i thought this was about nazi's my bad :P
    Me too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Me too...
    me 3

ReputationRep:
    Most of the points you make are fairly uncontroversial, though I wouldn't consider it a weakness of SS itself that you need to eat a lot to maintain progress. If you are serious about developing strength - the stated purpose of the SS regime - then whatever you do you are going to have to eat a lot to see results.

ReputationRep:
    Aye, I pretty much agree with all of that. Though I didn't find SS boring.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.