Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First Time Driving in 5 Years - Tips! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I bought my first car today, and am getting it insured tomorrow. I will be able to drive it straight away (or so the insurance company tell me), but I havn't driven in 5 years since passing my test.

The last time I drove was in Australia a few months ago, in a 4x4 on a beach, with no other cars around so it doesn't really count.

Does anyone have any tips, as I am beyond nervous about being in control of a huge (well, tiny really, its a Micra) car. I live on a quiet road, but there are cars parked down it constantly, and I live in a very hilly area (although I am not on the hill thank God!).

Help!

ReputationRep:
    dont go out on your own for the first few weeks because it takes time to adapt to the new car

when i passed my test i went out with my dad for the first 2 weeks.. now i can drive anywhere and everywhere alone it really doesn't bother me.. but im glad i had someone with me for the first few weeks!

ReputationRep:
    Drive on the road, not across a beach :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    Right, so I bought my first car today, and am getting it insured tomorrow. I will be able to drive it straight away (or so the insurance company tell me), but I havn't driven in 5 years since passing my test.

The last time I drove was in Australia a few months ago, in a 4x4 on a beach, with no other cars around so it doesn't really count.

Does anyone have any tips, as I am beyond nervous about being in control of a huge (well, tiny really, its a Micra) car. I live on a quiet road, but there are cars parked down it constantly, and I live in a very hilly area (although I am not on the hill thank God!).

Help!
    Why not just take a lesson or two just to get back into it?

ReputationRep:
    I thought about a lesson but I don't want to be told how to drive - I know how to drive. I just need to practice which I can do on my own or with someone else.

I could go out with someone but my Dad works full time, and my Mum would **** herself with me in the driving seat. My friend has offered to sit with me but she's looking after kids at the minute so she doesn't want to put them in danger, and my boyfriend said he'd be more nervous than me if he drove with me :s I'm not selling my driving skills here am I?!

ReputationRep:
    Some driving schools will do refresher lessons. Might be worth looking into.

ReputationRep:
    I just really don't fancy forking out on something like that. The problem is my confidence really - when I drove in Australia, there were 11 of us in the car and I got one of the guys to sit with me in the front to help me and after literally a minute I was fine. But when there aren't other hazzards the driving is easy, it's the other road users that are going to be my problem.

Would anyone reccommend just getting in the car and driving around the block a few times? Or is this a bit silly?

ReputationRep:
    If you haven't driven for 5 years, getting back into the driving seat will be pretty nerve racking.
    Your best bet would be to take up a couple of lesson. Just so you can iron out any things you're rusty on.

ReputationRep:
    You people sound like my mum, haha!

I just want to get into the driving seat though - after 5 years of waiting I can't wait any longer!

I might drive around the block a few times tomorrow and see what happens, if I really am **** then I might consider a lesson or two. Any tips for my wee jaunt around the block?

ReputationRep:
    I can give you wee tips on your jaunt around the block but in the words of chris tarrant "We don't wanna give you that"....

I hold my class 2 MRA license and my MSA License, i do road rallies occasionally and i can teach you how to drive fast, sideways, accurately

That way your nerves will vanish and you'll be burning chavs in their nova's and corsa's off the lights everyday!

ReputationRep:
    I thought about a lesson but I don't want to be told how to drive - I know how to drive. I just need to practice which I can do on my own or with someone else.

I could go out with someone but my Dad works full time, and my Mum would **** herself with me in the driving seat. My friend has offered to sit with me but she's looking after kids at the minute so she doesn't want to put them in danger, and my boyfriend said he'd be more nervous than me if he drove with me :s I'm not selling my driving skills here am I?!
    not the best for someone legally allowed to drive by themselves on the roads lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dougiemacs)
    not the best for someone legally allowed to drive by themselves on the roads lol :p:
    Honestly, to hear them you'd think I'd never even been in a car let alone passed my test (first time I might add)!!

I told my mum I'd take her to swimming tomorrow but it's a fair distance to drive back on my own. Eek! I'm getting up early, getting my insurance done, and going out when it's quiet-ish. My road is quite long so I won't have to turn quickly (I hate turning on tight corners!)

ReputationRep:
    drive at night. Roads are nice and empty :P

ReputationRep:
    take a few refresher lessons just to get you used to driving again.

ReputationRep:
    The answer to all driving related problems is quite simple...

Fit a Rover V8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    The answer to all driving related problems is quite simple...

Fit a Rover V8

PMSL... V8's maybe... Rover V8's NO WAY! :auto:

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is that car?!

ReputationRep:
    either swallow your pride and get some refresher lessons or just drive around the block a few times when the roads are really quiet. It's just a case of getting behind the wheel again.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell is that car?!
    It was a micra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shifty6Speed)
    PMSL... V8's maybe... Rover V8's NO WAY! :auto:
    Awwww but they can do this:

Spoiler:
    Show

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.