Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First Time Driving in 5 Years - Tips! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anandv05)
    dont go out on your own for the first few weeks because it takes time to adapt to the new car

when i passed my test i went out with my dad for the first 2 weeks.. now i can drive anywhere and everywhere alone it really doesn't bother me.. but im glad i had someone with me for the first few weeks!
    That's probably the best advice... although I drove to other towns with rowdy friends on the day i passed aha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dijobla)
    either swallow your pride and get some refresher lessons or just drive around the block a few times when the roads are really quiet. It's just a case of getting behind the wheel again.
    It's not pride, I just don't want to have to fork out more money if I can actually drive fine. I've decided to drive around the block tomorrow morning a few times, I've decided against driving into town and parking, but will drive to meet a friend in the afternoon and *attempt* to park.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Awwww but they can do this:

Spoiler:
    Show
    LMAO... Yeah but so could an RB26DETT motor put in the right car!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittennffc)
    It's not pride, I just don't want to have to fork out more money if I can actually drive fine. I've decided to drive around the block tomorrow morning a few times, I've decided against driving into town and parking, but will drive to meet a friend in the afternoon and *attempt* to park.
    Thats just it though, if you're concerned about driving fullstop, then you're parking skills, observation skills, reversing skills and "avoiding other car" skills arn't going to be what they were 5 years ago when you passed your test!

For the sake of £30 or something for a couple of hours with an instructor, it could save you a HELL of a lot of money on your insurance if you did have an accident through a simple mistake or panic!

Bump into someone and your insurance company will more than likely add half again onto your premium!

Regarding your "attempt" to park... Drive around a little bit first and get used to stopping and starting, clutch control in that particular car etc, then find a bigger space to practice in!

Good luck with it anyway, i hope you get back into it soon x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shifty6Speed)
    Thats just it though, if you're concerned about driving fullstop, then you're parking skills, observation skills, reversing skills and "avoiding other car" skills arn't going to be what they were 5 years ago when you passed your test!

For the sake of £30 or something for a couple of hours with an instructor, it could save you a HELL of a lot of money on your insurance if you did have an accident through a simple mistake or panic!

Bump into someone and your insurance company will more than likely add half again onto your premium!

Regarding your "attempt" to park... Drive around a little bit first and get used to stopping and starting, clutch control in that particular car etc, then find a bigger space to practice in!

Good luck with it anyway, i hope you get back into it soon x
    What he said.

ReputationRep:
    Don't bother with lessons, you've learned that part and you just need the confidence. Drive some in your spare time to get used to it and build up your confidence. Taking a lesson is not going to help you in anyway avoid bumping into someone so you're best saving the cash and just practicing on your own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Don't bother with lessons, you've learned that part and you just need the confidence. Drive some in your spare time to get used to it and build up your confidence. Taking a lesson is not going to help you in anyway avoid bumping into someone so you're best saving the cash and just practicing on your own.
    I like this Even my mum said I should just go out on my own and do it - or else I'll get all flustered. I'll post tomorrow evening to report back on my day of driving!

Thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    OK - so I have come to my first day of driving! Absolutely love the car! Handles like a dream, even though its 10 years old. I'm still getting used to the clutch and biting point (but that was always my weakness in my lessons so I thought that would get to me), but seem to be doing OK!

I started off going around the block a few times, then dared to go on some back streets and down a main (and very busy) road. I couldn't get into 3rd gear at one point so had to go super slow but that was just a minor glitch! I drove to meet a friend and managed to reverse into a parking spot, and quite nifty it was too! I was very impressed to say I had one lesson on parking 5 years ago. Drove my friend to her car (don't ask!), and got a bit flustered but it was rush hour. Also, had to take a major detour home as some white van driver wouldn't let me into the right lane (prick), and got panicky (I got out of the car and was shaking!). Just now, I have managed to move my car into a better parking space and had to do it about 5 times as my arse was sticking into the road but pretty good for a first time.

Overall, don't think I need lessons, just confidence. I only stalled 3 times in the entire day which for me is good! Am driving out later to go shopping and will have to go around a round about, but my boyfriend will be in the car so he'll help me out I hope! Woo! End of first day and I'm happy!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.