Turn on thread page Beta

Is being a scrapper a turn off for girls? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenthAvenueFreezeOut)
    Wouldn't it make it also look like your friends were all immature/violent/unable to control themselves, which is what most of the girls are saying completely turns them off?

Could make it look like they were set upon, and you came along to rescue them like a knight in shining armour lol :yes:

ReputationRep:
    No. Big turn off.
    Some girls go for that though, girls that like a good old punch up themselves So if you like the butch type, carry on fighting you moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EFG)
    I don't get it. Why does it turn women off that the man's defending himself?

I got the impression that he's seeking it out and flying off his handle rather than defending himself because he has to.

As a last resort I would understand, though not like it. I don't want anyone to just sit there and take a beating. But some people do get aggressive after a drink, or perhaps don't try and cool the situation first.

It would never be a turn on, but I'd be understanding if a guy had to give as good as he gets because the guy starting it refuses to back off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)

I find it appealing and i can't fight at all....
    by appeal i mean continue to be attracted to him, knowing that hes either violent or immature :p:

always exceptions to the rules though, thats how the world works :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    No. Big turn off.
    Some girls go for that though, girls that like a good old punch up themselves So if you like the butch type, carry on fighting you moron.
    Thats not true...because i like a guy that can handle himself in a fight,....however i've never before got into a physical fight myself, and i wouldn't be able to because i don't know the first thing about fighting.....and i am certainly not butch...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)
    Thats not true...because i like a guy that can handle himself in a fight,....however i've never before got into a physical fight myself, and i wouldn't be able to because i don't know the first thing about fighting.....and i am certainly not butch...
    Ha! The girls I know who like their guy to fight, are quite vile to be honest. Sorry I don't know you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    by appeal i mean continue to be attracted to him, knowing that hes either violent or immature :p:

always exceptions to the rules though, thats how the world works :gthumb:
    Just because he has been in fights and does martial arts doesn't make him violent...i obviously wouldn't find a guy who goes looking for scraps appealing - but its not a turn off that he knows how to defend himself - what girl wants a guy who wouldn't be able to defend himself if it came down to it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MayhemAM)
    You're asking the wrong people at the wrong place. You're simply getting the opinions of the back-of-the-class nerds.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...hs-850007.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AYE)
    Could make it look like they were set upon, and you came along to rescue them like a knight in shining armour lol :yes:
    Haha yeah I guess you could, does seem like it's getting a bit complicated though;

Route A

Girl: Have you ever had to use it?
    Boy: Yes, but it was only to help out my friends. But don't worry, they're not thugs either, they were just set upon.

Route B

Boy: No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)
    Ha! The girls I know who like their guy to fight, are quite vile to be honest. Sorry I don't know you.

I would never like a guy to fight...especially if its unnecessary.
    But if it came down to it i would rather that he did know how to handle himself....also being with a guy that can handle himself in a scrap makes a girl feel more protected - but maybe thats just me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    To me it's not being able to fight that's the issue. It's the fact that you've got into the situations where you've felt you had to.

I don't now many people who have only ever got into a bust up when it was someone elses fault. In other words, it would suggest to me that you have initiated some kind of fight. And that is a turn off.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Yh I was going to finish the sentence off with 'If it was a woman in that situation instead of the guy posting it'. That however would be long so I left it.

I mean most people would probably get what I put as it was meant to be informal. By bad English I don't mean spelling or even complete sentences. I mean grammar like 'it ain't' or 'you ain't', that's just annoying when they don't even know that it doesn't make sense.

Edit:

Wait a second what was wrong with what I put?

'If it was a woman in that situation'

That makes sense because I'm talking about the future not the past.

If it was a woman in that situation, is me using my imagination to think about what I would do in a situation where it was a choice between the two things that I stated. So surely because I'm thinking about the future 'was' is acceptable in the context that I placed it in.

Past would be 'were'.

I'm so confused.
    I don't think like this, but to simplify: it is an "if" clause, thus if one uses "if" to denote a condition that may or may not be the case, followed by the hypothetical use of the conditional tense, one must use the imperfect subjunctive. Don't worry too much about it - it's not even a tense, it's a mood, and one that's dying out.

Your justification presupposes that grammar be of only one dimension: it is of two dimensions, where we have tenses (in the indicative mood), and then extensions to tenses called the subjunctive mood. It's not easy to spot because not every tense has a subjunctive mood in our language.

If you meant to say "she was a woman" where she actually were a woman, as in this condition was realised and she was a woman, then your use of "was" would be correct because it would be a description of past events. You don't mean that she was a woman because you used "if", creating a condition, so you mean that her being a woman has not happened, and so what follows is purely hypothetical. In such a case, the subjunctive is the ONLY possible tool at your disposal to demonstrate that you were being hypothetical and NOT descriptive of past events.

I hope that helps.

EDVB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MayhemAM)
    I dont know why but this summer I have been getting in a fair few small fights/scraps. I dont claim to be Muhammad Ali or anything, but I can handle myself against the majority of people, even though I look scrawny. I train a lot in martial arts and am a big fitness fan but dont do weights of anything, and look more 'athletic' than big. Dont go to gym as I find it incredibly boring.

I find that when girls first find out I train a lot in martial arts they find it a bit of a turn on. I never bring it up or speak much about it, but if someone asks me what I did last night then I will tell them.

The problem arises when they say "have you ever used it?" as if I am Jean-Claude Van Damme. I normally say "only once or twice to stop these chavs" and it is only once I bring up that I have gotten into the odd fight or two that they find it a bit of a turn off

i.e- their train of thought is

"wow, he can handle himself"

to

"eugh, violent man"

is this true for girls? In future my response will always be "luckily I havnt had to yet".
    dear god please dont use martial arts as an excuse to swing the machoness around, it makes other martial artists look bad.

LMAO. Typical female brainfart in here. "Wow, it's cool that you know how to defend yourself. Wait, what? You actually had to defend yourself once or twice? Damn, you must be a thug!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExDeusVenitBritannia)
    I don't think like this, but to simplify: it is an "if" clause, thus if one uses "if" to denote a condition that may or may not be the case, followed by the hypothetical use of the conditional tense, one must use the imperfect subjunctive. Don't worry too much about it - it's not even a tense, it's a mood, and one that's dying out.

Your justification presupposes that grammar be of only one dimension: it is of two dimensions, where we have tenses (in the indicative mood), and then extensions to tenses called the subjunctive mood. It's not easy to spot because not every tense has a subjunctive mood in our language.

If you meant to say "she was a woman" where she actually were a woman, as in this condition was realised and she was a woman, then your use of "was" would be correct because it would be a description of past events. You don't mean that she was a woman because you used "if", creating a condition, so you mean that her being a woman has not happened, and so what follows is purely hypothetical. In such a case, the subjunctive is the ONLY possible tool at your disposal to demonstrate that you were being hypothetical and NOT descriptive of past events.

I hope that helps.

EDVB
    Yh it's still a bit confusing, bare in mind that I haven't started A level English just yet, have to wait until September. I don't know why you neg'd me though just because I was confused. I presume it was you anyway, if I'm wrong then I do apoligise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    LMAO. Typical female brainfart in here. "Wow, it's cool that you know how to defend yourself. Wait, what? You actually had to defend yourself once or twice? Damn, you must be a thug!"
    Laughs at the term "brainfart". PM me your name for a pos.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should try dating chav girls?

ReputationRep:
    I think one should look at the type of peeps that use different forums. On TSR that **** would not be cool. However, on other forums i'm sure someone will lob their bra at you lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenthAvenueFreezeOut)
    Haha yeah I guess you could, does seem like it's getting a bit complicated though;

Route A

Boy: Yes, but it was only to help out my friends. But don't worry, they're not thugs either, they were just set upon.

Route B

Boy: No
    Also add "i'll do anything for them" that must be "aaawww" and badboy'ish for girls right? potent chick magnet lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimbobanage)
    Yuss I've done shotokan karate for 6 years now, I am a major addict, I use to train like 4/5/6 times a week but couldn't train so much over time cause of work and other stuff so now it's down to about 3. I love the discipline and the whole conditioning your body to make it do what you want, when you see that your technique is spot on it feels amazing =] if I had the time and money I'd take up kendo, aikido, muay thai, ju jitsu, wing chun, ninjitsu. Anything really. I'd LOVE to devote my entire life to learning martial arts. Unfortunately no one will pay me to do that =[

I was at a stage where I was scouted for the JKA (my organisation) england squad but it was right in the middle of A levels so I couldn't commit to it cause I'd have to train all the time. Also the England squad were a bunch of *********, the most 2 faced people I have ever met in my life so having spent a lot of time training with time I didn't really want to be a part of them.

What do you do?
    Do you train at Kilburn Karate Club?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.