Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not allowed to be upset - flu Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have had swine flu since friday and am still feeling totally awful. Last night I barely slept due to having such a high temperature and not being able 2 cool down. Earlier I was talking to my boyfriend on the phone and started crying basically cos i was just soooo exhausted and drained! he turned round and had a go at me telling me I had no reason or right to be upset. Of course he's upset me even more and done nothing 2make me feel better.

Am i wrong to get upset for being shattered and drained due to flu??

ReputationRep:
    If you're exhausted and drained then what're you doing on the phone? Go to sleep and drink lots of water. :wtf:

If you act like a whiney baby then I can see it from your boyfriend's point of view. It's a flu, deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of stupid question is this???!!!!

ReputationRep:
    he's not a very nice bf!

ReputationRep:
    No, but what is the use crying down the phone to your boyfriend? Pop some sleeping tablets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel's girl)
    I have had swine flu since friday and am still feeling totally awful. Last night I barely slept due to having such a high temperature and not being able 2 cool down. Earlier I was talking to my boyfriend on the phone and started crying basically cos i was just soooo exhausted and drained! he turned round and had a go at me telling me I had no reason or right to be upset. Of course he's upset me even more and done nothing 2make me feel better.

Am i wrong to get upset for being shattered and drained due to flu??

of topic, but how did you get it confirmed you have swine flu? I have had flu for thr past three days, not sure if it's swine flu. And I have not exactly done anything about it!

ReputationRep:
    not really related but.. how do you know if you have normal flu or swine flu? im sure mine is just normal flu

ReputationRep:
    Ive got normal flu right now, so I dont know what you mean but should have a idea.

The best thing to do is sleep through it (or try to) take paracitamal (i think the spelling is wrong) aswell as the anti-viral drug you should have been given, dont go out your bed just becuase your sweating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeteDoherty)
    Isn't everybody wrong for being upset regardless of circumstances
    what? About having swine flu? If you whinge and cry about it when you should be in bed then yes, you're wrong.

If you're talking about in general, then no. You can be upset if something truly calls for sorrow, having a flu is not one of those things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    he's not a very nice bf!
    He sounds honest to me. Surely that's a desirable trait.

ReputationRep:
    You know you got swine flu if your temprature is above 38, and should have most of the common cold symptoms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abro)
    You know you got swine flu if your temprature is above 38, and should have most of the common cold symptoms
    But that's the case with a normal flu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    He sounds honest to me. Surely that's a desirable trait.
    Lol wut? She has swine flu, her boyfriend apparently doesn't care and you think thats a desirable trait?

lulz.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    It depends what you mean by "upset". If you mean "upset" as in despair and crying and suchlike, I know the feeling myself from when I had glandular fever and if that's the case I'd say your boyfriend is being a bit insensitive. If you mean "upset" as in frustrated and grumpy (and hence confrontational), then I can probably understand why your boyfriend might be a bit averted to giving you sympathy. I suppose either way he was being a bit insensitive... my girlfriend had both of the above a while back when she had rubella and it stretched my patience a lot but I didn't take it out on her.

ReputationRep:
    no, I have common flu right now, and my temprature is WAY below 38 Degree Celcuis

(Original post by Abro)
    Ive got normal flu right now, so I dont know what you mean but should have a idea.

The best thing to do is sleep through it (or try to) take paracitamal (i think the spelling is wrong) aswell as the anti-viral drug you should have been given, dont go out your bed just becuase your sweating!

She didnt say she was getting out of bed?? also if u'v actually got normal flu you would no how bad it makes u feel!! OP I've had proper flu before and I know what u mean it leaves u in a horrible state dont feel bd for getting upset!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    Lol wut? She has swine flu, her boyfriend apparently doesn't care and you think thats a desirable trait?

lulz.
    No-one said he doesn't care. :rolleyes: Wayta assume.

He's being honest. She really does have no reason to be upset over having swine flu. If someone cries and winges over having a flu then they should be told off rather than being pampered.

ReputationRep:
    Have a bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Have a bath
    That will probably make things worst!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    He's being honest. She really does have no reason to be upset over having swine flu. If someone cries and winges over having a flu then they should be told off rather than being pampered.
    Come on, whether you dismiss it as a normal flu or not, if someone is SICK then you don't tell them off for being upset, they obviously don't want to be feeling that way. Everyone gets stressed sometimes and it's even easier when you're not feeling your best physically. Of all people you would expect your partner to be patient about that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.