Not allowed to be upset - flu Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abro)
    That will probably make things worst!
    Whys that?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ok, your boyfriend's being an ********, but you're being whingy. And maybe he's upset over something too. Who knows. It's the ******* flu, you'll both get over it if you both stop blowing it up to be more than it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oCapulet)
    Come on, whether you dismiss it as a normal flu or not, if someone is SICK then you don't tell them off for being upset, they obviously don't want to be feeling that way. Everyone gets stressed sometimes and it's even easier when you're not feeling your best physically. Of all people you would expect your partner to be patient about that.
    If someone says they are exhausted and drained but has the energy to talk over the phone and whinge to their partner then the ill person is quite a baby and should be told off. :yes:

You may call him insensitive; I call him honest.

ReputationRep:
    He should have been more sympathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    If someone says they are exhausted and drained but has the energy to talk over the phone and whinge to their partner then the ill person is quite a baby and should be told off. :yes:

You may call him insensitive; I call him honest.
    Well when you put it that way it's quite convincing! I was just saying the above because I was ill and moany a few days ago (inexplicably, in hindsight) and a bit of compassion from my boyfriend went a long way towards shutting me up and getting me back to bed. Seems more efficient considering she has now had to go to the effort of seeking advice online about it.
    Anyway OP, try not to be angry at him, he probably just had a bad day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel's girl)
    I have had swine flu since friday and am still feeling totally awful. Last night I barely slept due to having such a high temperature and not being able 2 cool down. Earlier I was talking to my boyfriend on the phone and started crying basically cos i was just soooo exhausted and drained! he turned round and had a go at me telling me I had no reason or right to be upset. Of course he's upset me even more and done nothing 2make me feel better.

Am i wrong to get upset for being shattered and drained due to flu??
    Maybe something has happened to him that he is upset about and hasn't told you yet? And was annoyed because he felt his issue was bigger than yours? Maybe you should talk to him and ask him

ReputationRep:
    But that's the case with a normal flu.

lol you do realise the symptoms are exactly the same for normal flu & swine flu? The only thing different is that they are caused by different viruses...

OP, your boyfriend was a bit out of order, but you were probably being whingey and annoying as well...just try and rest rather than phoning!

ReputationRep:
    He sounds insensitive from what you've told us, but are there any other issues between you two? Maybe he's upset about something else?

ReputationRep:
    I can understand why you cried, sometimes you can just get so tired that your emotions get a bit messed up. Also, maybe you should talk to your boyfriend about what he said/his reaction - doesn't sound very supportive of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    lol you do realise the symptoms are exactly the same for normal flu & swine flu? The only thing different is that they are caused by different viruses...
    Lol. Yes I do. That's basically what I was pointing out when I said that it was the same case with a normal flu. :rolleyes:

Lol lol lol lol. :indiff: Lol.

ReputationRep:
    Being ill sucks doesn't matter what it is. It's draining and it makes you cranky. So sometimes you get upset and frustrated because you don't want to be ill and so you can get tearful. If he doesn't get how being ill since friday would piss you off then thats silly. Yes crying all day would be annoying, but getting fed up is perfectly fine and allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sel1234)
    of topic, but how did you get it confirmed you have swine flu? I have had flu for thr past three days, not sure if it's swine flu. And I have not exactly done anything about it!
    Are you blind and deaf or just stupid?

Swine flu has been in every headline in every newspaper and news programme and thereve been random tv adverts and in newspapers and magazines too. You have to ring 0800 1 513 100 and they will diagnose you over the phone. UNLESS you have underlying health problems eg. heart problems or asthma. Or are under 1 year old. Or pregnant. Then you need to call your GP where you'll get a poor suffering receptionist who'll pencil you in to have a doctor ring you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yushuak)
    Are you blind and deaf or just stupid?

Swine flu has been in every headline in every newspaper and news programme and thereve been random tv adverts and in newspapers and magazines too. You have to ring 0800 1 513 100 and they will diagnose you over the phone. UNLESS you have underlying health problems eg. heart problems or asthma. Or are under 1 year old. Or pregnant. Then you need to call your GP where you'll get a poor suffering receptionist who'll pencil you in to have a doctor ring you.
    But there's still no way to discern normal flu from swine flu. They've stopped lab testing, it's all about handing out the Tamiflu to anyone suspected of having swine flu, which could easily be normal flu.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Yes I do. That's basically what I was pointing out when I said that it was the same case with a normal flu. :rolleyes:

Lol lol lol lol. :indiff: Lol.
    Even normal flu is nothing to laugh about, it is much worse than a regular cold and some are hit much harder than others. Yes, being whiney and weepy is annoying, but she said she got upset, she didn't say she got up and rolled around the room crying.

OP, it sounds like he could have been a bit more considerate but the best thing is to try and keep your chin up and your temperature down. I hope you feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beccydoodaa)
    Even normal flu is nothing to laugh about, it is much worse than a regular cold and some are hit much harder than others. Yes, being whiney and weepy is annoying, but she said she got upset, she didn't say she got up and rolled around the room crying.
    She said she was on the phone and started crying. She then deemed the cause to be her exhaustion. If she's exhausted she should be in bed.

ReputationRep:
    She said she was on the phone and started crying. She then deemed the cause to be her exhaustion. If she's exhausted she should be in bed.
    And you can't answer a phone and cry from a bed? Exhaustion can be upsetting in itself and I suspect the high temperature and general sickness doesn't help. I'm not saying you're wrong, if someone is that ill they should be in bed, but the point was she feels rubbish and he only made it worse by making her feel like she had no right to be. Everyone is different; if feeling very ill makes her emotional and he had a go at her, she has every right to be upset.

ReputationRep:
    If you're exhausted and drained then what're you doing on the phone? Go to sleep and drink lots of water. :wtf:

If you act like a whiney baby then I can see it from your boyfriend's point of view. It's a flu, deal with it.
    Have you had flu?

Besides, she said she couldn't sleep, remember?

ReputationRep:
    what? About having swine flu? If you whinge and cry about it when you should be in bed then yes, you're wrong.

If you're talking about in general, then no. You can be upset if something truly calls for sorrow, having a flu is not one of those things.
    I was truly lampooning you

It's just that you asking if it's wrong to be upset seemed oh so silly because it obviously is not wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It's just the flu. If you were upset he should have comforted you but if you've been a real baby milking it for all it's worth: it's just the flu. In a week you'll be fine. I had glandular fever for a month where I was so exhausted I couldn't even shower without falling asleep, and still at night I couldn't sleep for more than 20 mins because my tongue swelled up. I got down about it but I didn't sit around crying all day, you're ill, everyone gets ill sometimes. So, depends on the nature of you being upset really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeteDoherty)
    I was truly lampooning you

It's just that you asking if it's wrong to be upset seemed oh so silly because it obviously is not wrong.
    No you wasn't. Do you know what lampooning means?

I never once asked if it's wrong to be upset. :wtf: I always stated she was a fool for being upset. Get it right.

I like how you went back and deleted your post. :yes: Going back on your words? Tis not the actions of a man. Unfortunately for you it's still quoted in my post. :yes:

(Original post by punktopia)
    Have you had flu?

Besides, she said she couldn't sleep, remember?
    Of course I have. :wtf: I slept and drank water and tried to sleep. I didn't cry over the phone to someone who can't help me in the slightest.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.