whats wrong with birmingham?
    Nothing, all medical schools are equal and super fantastic :blah:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle/Durham

Back in the North where I belong!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    It was a tough decision. On the one hand, Southampton was an amazing place, and I'd rather stay there than London and it was tons cheaper so the financial side of things would be more manageable. The course also looked good. Plenty to do as well and large shopping centres, the accommodation was also miles better for the price, although that's a minor point.

The course at Imperial was good as well and being London, there's also plenty to do, although a bit crowded for my liking. Honestly though... I chose Imperial because I thought the clinical experience would be better, given the number of tertiary care centres in London and all that, and for the compulsory intercalated year. I might change my mind, but I've always wanted to intercalate and doing it at Southampton... well, you don't have much choice, even if you get a MSc and when you're done, you're in a different year group trying to break into already tight-knit friendship circles.

It probably could have gone either way and now, it seems some people are saying that clinical experience in large hospitals isn't as good as it's made to be because it's far too busy and there isn't much teaching time :p:
    Well they're both good uni's (although Impy obviously has more prestige, especially in the eyes of future applicants :p:) so I'm sure you'll have an awesome time I just wish Soton has the BSc instead the BMedSci...

Oh, and Southampton is where I'd love to go so I count myself very, very lucky. The fact I got on the BM6 programme is even better :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david_man)
    Nothing, nothing... absolutely nothing

ReputationRep:
    TP's not a fan, as you've probably worked out...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Well they're both good uni's (although Impy obviously has more prestige, especially in the eyes of future applicants :p:) so I'm sure you'll have an awesome time I just wish Soton has the BSc instead the BMedSci...
    Well, you do get the BMedSci in the same 5 years :p: And there's a chance to intercalate a MSc in 6, what more can you ask for? :p:

ReputationRep:
    TP's not a fan, as you've probably worked out...
    WHY???

ReputationRep:
    WHY???
    I'm not really sure mate, I think he thinks it's a bit of a ****-hole :p: I'm guessing you're from there?

EDIT: possibly because it's full of brummies? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Barts & The London Or Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you do get the BMedSci in the same 5 years :p: And there's a chance to intercalate a MSc in 6, what more can you ask for? :p:
    Good point, although it'd be 7 for me (:eek3:) if I intercalated! Although 7 years as a student isn't really something to complain about :p:

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, nothing... absolutely nothing
    :giggle: I still haven't got that brum survey btw

ReputationRep:
    Glasgow probably, if I was a prospective medical student that was.

Although since I attend Glasgow that probably isn't fair. I'd say Harvard or Durham, but I obviously don't have much knowledge on which medical courses are the best so I would probably do more research :P

ReputationRep:
    My experience of Birmingham is that to spend six years there would be a fate worse than a fate worse than death.

Before dark its quite nice though.

ReputationRep:
    It was a tough decision. On the one hand, Southampton was an amazing place, and I'd rather stay there than London and it was tons cheaper so the financial side of things would be more manageable. The course also looked good. Plenty to do as well and large shopping centres, the accommodation was also miles better for the price, although that's a minor point.

The course at Imperial was good as well and being London, there's also plenty to do, although a bit crowded for my liking. Honestly though... I chose Imperial because I thought the clinical experience would be better, given the number of tertiary care centres in London and all that, and for the compulsory intercalated year. I might change my mind, but I've always wanted to intercalate and doing it at Southampton... well, you don't have much choice, even if you get a MSc and when you're done, you're in a different year group trying to break into already tight-knit friendship circles.

It probably could have gone either way and now, it seems some people are saying that clinical experience in large hospitals isn't as good as it's made to be because it's far too busy and there isn't much teaching time :p:
    70-80 of my year group intercalated. Thats a huge amount of people so after third the it all changes anyway. And because of placements people tend to be all over the place.

And in my experience you don't want to be stuck in the teaching hospitals when there are nice friendly DGH's you can go to

ReputationRep:
    Good point, although it'd be 7 for me (:eek3:) if I intercalated! Although 7 years as a student isn't really something to complain about :p:
    7 isn't bad, it's like 6 but with a gap year. Considering when people grow older and reflect back on their life, they seem to think that uni was the best part, it's an added benefit. Some people even opt to do an MB PhD which is 8 years :p: (or more if you're not very productive doing research).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.