Turn on thread page Beta

Ok - I've done enough relaxing! Suggestions for activities to help Sixth Form watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I've basically vegetated and haven't really left the house in about 3 weeks and, although it's nice, I feel like I've done enough relaxing. Could anyone suggest something that would help me to start Sixth form academically. My A level choices are in my signature but I may take German and drop the others.

Any advice is appreciated!

Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    tbh theres not much you can do in terms of preparation.

ReputationRep:
    Read some interesting pop science?

ReputationRep:
    Do some research into the area's that you are going to be studying when you get into Sixth Form?

Tbh, I really wouldn't bother. The summer is meant to be for relaxing...

ReputationRep:
    Keep relaxing. I'm just reading, but then my AS options are all essay based.

tbh u have picked the subjects you cant really prepare for! the only way is to go on the exam board websites and download the specifications so you know what will be covered. then u can consider buying revision guides etc and try to cover stuff before you go back! which would give you a good head start! also for maths just be really solid on gcse stuff, like i got an a* gcse and dropped matsh after a few weeks i cudnt be bothered lol!

Do some voluntary work or something that will help you narrow down which A-levels you want to take.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose if you are really looking for something to do you could try and find out what you'd like to do at university? If you have a vague idea try and find some work experience relevant to it. If you are certain on something still try and find some work experience relevant to it.

ReputationRep:
    I completely get you, three weeks and I'm itching to go back, I hate being restless & feeling like I'm achieving nothing! I feel too lazy. People keep telling me to relax too but this is just not relaxing for me anymore!

Looking at your AS choices, I'm going to say get a physics, chemistry and biology text book. Maths I did not think was much of a jump from GCSE to AS, but biology and chemistry were and getting familiar with the work you will be doing next year will not hurt. I haven't done physics but according to my friends the jump is bigger in that. At GCSE you don't do mechanics maths & for most exam boards now the first physics module is mechanics so getting your head around it will help you. Having done mechanics in AS maths as well, I did find it took a while to get used to the different ways of thinking so getting some practice in now isn't a bad idea. I think there are actually some "bridging the gap between GCSE and A level" books now.

other than that, someone else suggested it, doing some voluntary work somewhere. I'vebeen volunteering in a charity shop and I've been suprised at how not-boring I have found it. It will also look great on your UCAS form this time next year if you can say you've been volunteering for a year

Other than that, you could do an individual project of an area of interest? What are you wanting to do at Uni? Could spend time looking into that. I'm going to assume something sciencey, so you could set yourself a task of creating an essay on a given subject that interests you?

BTW - if you're thinking about dropping 1 subject for german I'd do it. Your profile is VERY science & maths orientated which is great, but having a language in there would make it a stronger profile. Poss drop further maths for the language. I've found having English Lit has given me an advantage. It shows you're not only good at science/maths, but at everything

ReputationRep:
    Just veg out and turn up at college 15st heavier than you were when you left school.

That's my plan anyway B)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.